Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Airpod Pro just came out with ANC.... Experiences?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airpod Pro just came out with ANC.... Experiences?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2019, 6:17 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by richarddd
What's a better very comfortable lightweight ANC earbud for Android?

My wife has an ipad.
I don't use Android devices myself, as I'm hooked mostly to iOS and other Apple products -- AirPods Pro included -- or other things. I've been milking the Amazon thing to get AirPods Pro for gift-giving this year, and I'm giving them to some Android device users too.

If I were sort of in your shoes and was going to get them for $188-$200 to use for your Android devices and at times with your wife's iPad, I wouldn't hesitate to get them.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 6:28 am

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
Are they likely to fall out if you sleep with them? I'd like to use them sleeping on flights (lie flat seats), which would be a problem if they fall out.
Probably not is you have a snug fit but your real issue is going to be battery life. Granted I haven't had them long but on some SFO/EWR flights I had them depleted before the flight was over, so maybe 4-5 hours?
Old Nov 27, 2019, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by DMSFCA
Probably not is you have a snug fit but your real issue is going to be battery life. Granted I haven't had them long but on some SFO/EWR flights I had them depleted before the flight was over, so maybe 4-5 hours?
Agreed, battery life is my main remaining concern. Most flights I take are longer than 4-5 hours, such as JFK-Europe. I suppose I could switch to something else while they're charging. I currently use the Bose QC20 (wired ANC in-ear), but the wire gets to be a hassle and can twist around me when I change position sleeping.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 10:20 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Agreed, battery life is my main remaining concern. Most flights I take are longer than 4-5 hours, such as JFK-Europe. I suppose I could switch to something else while they're charging. I currently use the Bose QC20 (wired ANC in-ear), but the wire gets to be a hassle and can twist around me when I change position sleeping.
I found on 4.5-5 hours flight, all I had to do was take them off for 5 minute while going to the lavatory and strectching and having them in the case, added 1 additional hour of use time, so I got 5.5 hours of overall time easily. They change 1 hour in apparently 5 minutes
Old Nov 27, 2019, 1:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I paid $40 for a pair of no name wireless in-ear buds which go for 5-6 hours a charge.

I will alternate them with APP for an upcoming flight, SFO-AKL.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 1:35 pm

Bose QC20 Android model refurbished from Bose $125 on eBay https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bose-QuietC...Gyh-0ZLZhrOWHA Was $149 last week.
Radsone ES100 v2 (still micro usb) Bluetooth DAC on lightning sale at Amazon
Amazon Amazon

I picked up a set of Apple AirPods Pro and they're letting me down at the higher frequencies when playing YouTube videos of GE90 takeoffs. Bose QC20's did a better job masking higher frequencies and voices for me without music (though still let in crying babies). I can hear 1-4 of the higher frequencies https://mynoise.net/NoiseMachines/ul...eGenerator.php so might be YMMV?

Watching for:
Bose in-ear ANC bluetooth rumored in 2020
Qudelix 5k Bluetooth DAC from the former CTO of Radsone ES100 with USB-C https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-...thread.914628/ current estimate Q2/late Q1 2020? Will be a Kickstarter.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 2:47 pm
Suspended

You want noise cancellation of videos of planes?
Old Dec 2, 2019, 3:16 pm

Programs: US CP, UA *G; SPG Plat, Hilton Gold; Natl Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by feysul
I just bought the Airfly from ATT. Thanks for the heads up
I picked up the base Airfly and found it to be nearly completely useless with an AA 737 IFE. At the highest level, the volume was still softer than my QC35's at the lowest level. And since the Airpod Pros aren't noise isolating, the surrounding noise (talking, FA chatter, and crying babies) often made it difficult to hear movie dialogue.

The Airpod Pros are very comfortable and provide decent ANC, but sadly they don't come close in performance to the QC35. Unless space is at a premium, I think the QC35 and a wired noise-isolating earbud (Etymotics, Shure, etc.) is a better choice. The Airpod Pros aren't quite good enough if you want to sleep (and are a light sleeper), watch the IFE, or fly longer than 5 hours.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by wco81
You want noise cancellation of videos of planes?
I think that function is just muting the video? I wanted to see if AirPods Pro would cancel out certain frequencies with a weak sauce test without having to book a flight or drive over to the airport.

There's some AirPods Pro memory foam aftermarket tips on eBay. I haven't tried them.
Black https://www.ebay.com/itm/6pc-Memory-...QAAOSwpcFd3INb
White from the same seller is currently sold out.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
I own the Airpod Pros, the Bose QC20 and QC35.

I honestly have to say for all domestic travel, the airpods will be my new go-to. The ANC is very good in my opinion, and for watching content on iPad or iPhone they are plenty good. The small form factor, and convenience to use w/ all my Apple devices is a huge plus.

For long haul international trips though, I likely will not use them. My main fear is losing the AirPod pros in the seat if I happen to knock them out of my ears. I know the United Polaris seats have lots of little places these could slip into and disappear forever. The QC20 is a good wired option that is a good middle ground between the bulky QC35 and the airpods.

The QC 35 is probably the nicest experience overall, but also has limitations. I wish they had a "transparency mode" like the airpods to... or to a lesser extend the Sony competitors offer.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 5:12 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
For some reason my Airpods Pro seem to stay in my ears very well and don’t fall out like my other in-ear headsets do. And the Airpods Pro are harder for me to get out of their case than my regular Airpods are to get out of their own case. The relative difficulty/ease of being able to take out the ear pieces seem to be related to my likelihood of dropping them and losing them, with the easier it being, the more likely they fall out at inopportune moments.

For most flights, I will be traveling with the Airpods Pro, the regular Airpods and a wired in-ear Shure headset. The AirFly Pro or something like that may come along for some of my trips, but I have a 3.5mm physical splitter jack so the AirFly Pro would be for something other than the plane’s built-in IFE.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jan 21, 2020 at 5:18 pm
Old Jan 21, 2020, 5:17 pm
Suspended

I used them on SFO-AKL and AKL-LAX last month.

Obviously they won't last the whole trip so I watched some movies with the supplied headsets (which do not have ANC on NZ J) and also had a in-ear headphones as well for isolation.

Didn't use them when the seats were made into beds, though the NZ lie flats are different from Polaris anyways.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm really liking the Pros for flights, but beyond that, I really dislike them.

Anytime I'm not on a flight, I don't like the extreme isolation. I still use my regular AirPods at those times.

Last night I made a phone call from the Pros just because they were within arm's reach, and it just wasn't a great experience. Couldn't wait to get them out. And I cycled through the ANC options.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by josephstern
I'm really liking the Pros for flights, but beyond that, I really dislike them.

Anytime I'm not on a flight, I don't like the extreme isolation. I still use my regular AirPods at those times.

Last night I made a phone call from the Pros just because they were within arm's reach, and it just wasn't a great experience. Couldn't wait to get them out. And I cycled through the ANC options.
Just FYI, long press the stem and it toggles off the ANC. best of both worlds.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LordHamster
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/undefined
Just FYI, long press the stem and it toggles off the ANC. best of both worlds.
Well, it's not really enough for me. Even with it totally off, the ear-plug effect is still there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.