Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Airpod Pro just came out with ANC.... Experiences?

Old Oct 29, 19, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: 11x Southwest Companion Pass Status/ Hilton Lifetime Diamond/ Hertz PC; Iberia Platino

I just ordered the Airpod Pro. i am so excited to try this out. WHY?? Active Noise Cancellation and excellent microphone..

I will get this AIrpod in a few days and I will post my experiences. i have 3 Bose Products: QC20, QC30 and QC35. i also have the Second Gen AIrpods and love them.

But AIrpods with ANC and a better microphone is something I will look forward to.

If anyone has the Airpod Pro please share your experience with it.
Old Oct 31, 19, 6:22 am

I got a pair yesterday morning and have been using them off & on since then. I really like the way the controls are set up. More functions and easier to use besides. The noise cancelling is good but not remarkable. Sound quality is also very nice, but I don't have "Golden Ears" like those from audiophile magazines, so you'll need to decide for yourself. I have a pair of gen 1 Airpods over 2 years old, so I was due for an upgrade although my old set is still doing fine. The comfort level is similar, and I was fine with the old style for several hours at a stretch.

Last edited by draver; Oct 31, 19 at 6:34 am
Old Oct 31, 19, 1:55 pm

The name seems awkward to me.

Airpods Pro

not

Airpod Pros

Reminds me of Carl's Jr.
Old Oct 31, 19, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by josephstern View Post

Airpods Pro

not

Airpod Pros

Reminds me of Carl's Jr.
Well I suppose a single airpod would be a hard sell. Much like how nobody buys a "pant"... rather we buy "pants."

Originally Posted by draver View Post
The noise cancelling is good but not remarkable. Sound quality is also very nice, but I don't have "Golden Ears" like those from audiophile magazines, so you'll need to decide for yourself. I h
I also got mine yesterday. I don't have anymore travel planned this month, but I will take these along in place of my giant bose headset on my next flight. Even if they aren't quite as good... the form factor may give these the edge. Time will tell if these are adequate for airplane travel.

As for the sound? As you mentioned, plenty good for my non-audiophile ears.
Old Oct 31, 19, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by josephstern View Post

Airpods Pro

not

Airpod Pros

Reminds me of Carl's Jr.
It's a Pro version of the Airpods, of which you receive two.

Reminds me of Attorneys General.
Old Oct 31, 19, 4:15 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by CPRich View Post
It's a Pro version of the Airpods, of which you receive two.

Reminds me of Attorneys General.
Or passersby.
Old Oct 31, 19, 5:14 pm

Well, I use the software FileMaker Pro (also from Apple). Multiples are referred to as "FileMaker Pros." Kinda like "tennis pros" I guess. We'd never say "FileMakers Pro."

If you have more than one Final Cut Pro (to continue with the Apple thing) are they Final Cuts Pro? Maybe Finals Cut Pro? I'm just trying to think different.
Old Oct 31, 19, 11:13 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
I got my today -- haven't really used them except to test them out (sort of housebound with a bum knee right now).

In the setup they have a option to test the fit, which is kind of cool. I'm guessing it uses the microphones to match the tones it plays -- if it gets a lot, then you don't have a good seal (just guessing here)

I like the controls. I'll bring them on my next trip in December, but I'll still bring my Sony WH-1000XM3
Old Oct 31, 19, 11:39 pm

(Did I mention that I'm typing this on one of my MacBooks Pro?)
Old Nov 1, 19, 12:54 am
dtc

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
I'd love it if someone could compare the noise cancellation to the Bose QuietComfort 20. To me that was the gold standard for earbud format Active Noise Cancellation (even if they broke ever year, and didn't support bluetooth).
Old Nov 1, 19, 3:14 pm

And the mic for for call quality, please.

I last used the QC20 and Radsone ES100 bluetooth receiver DAC which also supports 2 devices. ES100 + refurb Bose direct QC20's are about the same price and work for IFE. The extra cord was a bit fiddly but voice quality on ES100 is good. So was bluetooth range and the app was great.
dtc likes this.
Old Nov 1, 19, 3:37 pm
dtc

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by freecia View Post
And the mic for for call quality, please.
Oh so true. I'm on video conf calls like 4+ hours a day.

My current headphone strategy is:
1. QC35 for daily use, when not in meetings
2. $40 YAMAY bt headset w/mic boom, when in video conf calls. The mic boom is key.
2. QC20 for airplane use w/cord (I'm not going anywhere anyway)

I'd love to consolidate all this into one compact device. And with 20 hour battery life. And for under $300. 😁
Old Nov 1, 19, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA 1 MM
Just returned my Airpods Pro at the local apple store.

They wouldn't work for my ears. I couldn't get a good seal in my right ear and so noise cancellation didn't work.

While there, I tried Powerbeats Pro, which sounded very good. Might work for me on airplanes.
Old Nov 2, 19, 9:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Absolutely hated air pods 1. Simply did not fit in my ears and looked like a huge a$$hole walking down the street with them. I used Jabra mainly most recently the 65t. Good not great. No active noise cancel and a little heavy where my ear canal hurt after an hour session. Never found myself using them except when I had to.

The air pods pro are pretty amazing. Fit well in my ears w the small tips. Good noise cancel but not quite as good as qc20. But super light and nice enough where i proactively put them in when walking as the noise cancel is so nice. But I still look like a douche sadly.
dok_indo likes this.
Old Nov 2, 19, 1:21 pm

A minor update on my experience concerning the different tip sizes. I was pretty happy with a small tip in one ear and medium in the other. I read a review somewhere suggesting trying all the sizes and now find that the large are more comfortable and give a good seal to boot. I recommend others give all the sizes at least a one time chance to see what really does work the best for sound and comfort.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: