Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Airpod Pro just came out with ANC.... Experiences?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airpod Pro just came out with ANC.... Experiences?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2019, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Iberia Platino,15x Southwest Companion Pass/ Hilton LT Diamond/ Hertz PC, OWEmerald; Marriott Gold
I will compare the QC 20 When i get a chance. And i agree they are the Gold standard. I will let you know.
dtc likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Iberia Platino,15x Southwest Companion Pass/ Hilton LT Diamond/ Hertz PC, OWEmerald; Marriott Gold
Update. Just received mine.

Originally Posted by feysul
I just ordered the Airpod Pro. i am so excited to try this out. WHY?? Active Noise Cancellation and excellent microphone..

I will get this AIrpod in a few days and I will post my experiences. i have 3 Bose Products: QC20, QC30 and QC35. i also have the Second Gen AIrpods and love them.

But AIrpods with ANC and a better microphone is something I will look forward to.

If anyone has the Airpod Pro please share your experience with it.
I just received mine. I am very happy with these. The ANC works very well. I don't think its BOSE quality but it is very good... pretty close. I will give feedback next time i am on a plane with comparison to QC20. When you play music you can hear NOTHING.

The really like the transparency mode. I don't hear myself like other headphones with transparency.

I would highly recommend these for anyone that works in airports or cafe while traveling and looking for a high quality phone call experience.

I will still keep my Airpod 2nd Gen.. for everyday listening at home on iPad etc. But for professional use I will use these Pro's.
dtc likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 3:54 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
These will quickly replace my QC35s. As much as I like the QC35s, they are just way too bulky and I’ve left them at home on the last few trips. With these, the AirPods pro will be my exclusive set of headphones that travel with me.

Every inch and every ounce matters in my luggage.
dtc likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 10:59 am

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
I've been using the Shure 215 headphones with the yellow foam tips and the Shure Bluetooth adapter, which gets about 8 hours of battery. I've used them on many transcon flights without fatigue.

I first saw the talk of long battery life on the Airpod Pro, but when you dig into it, they are more like 5 hours and to get the longer life you need to cycle them through the charging case., You couldn't fly to Tokyo without having to take a break to charge halfway.

Regardless, I'll probably ask for them from Santa.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can't believe I'm going to have to get these, but there's a ton of good press, I have a few friends who rave about them, and this thread is pretty positive too . . .
Old Nov 4, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: AA LT Platinum, WN CP, National EE, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Hilton Diamond, Sheraton Gold
Waiting patiently on QC20 vs AirPod Pro.. The previous AirPods wouldn't stay in my ears consistently. Lack of ANC was also a downer (got tired of carrying both when I travel). If the ANC on the AirPod Pro is as good or almost as good, I'll get them for Christmas..
dtc likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Originally Posted by nyc2socal
Waiting patiently on QC20 vs AirPod Pro.. The previous AirPods wouldn't stay in my ears consistently. Lack of ANC was also a downer (got tired of carrying both when I travel). If the ANC on the AirPod Pro is as good or almost as good, I'll get them for Christmas..
Not as good noise cancel but everything else much better. Use qc20 on flights and airpods everywhere else
Old Nov 5, 2019, 8:35 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite/Lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum Medallion, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by BobbySteel
Not as good noise cancel but everything else much better. Use qc20 on flights and airpods everywhere else
Agreed, but I'll get my first airplane experience with the airpod pro's next week to see for myself.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 9:31 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Pardon my technical ineptitude, but how are you using these for IFE? Or are you not? Which means I’d have to carry a separate pair for that anyway when flying domestic F on an airline that doesn’t offer good headphones (I’m looking st you, AS). I prefer not using an ipad but instead using the airline tablets/seatback IFE etc. How are you using ipods in that case?
Old Nov 5, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by Finkface
Pardon my technical ineptitude, but how are you using these for IFE? Or are you not? Which means I’d have to carry a separate pair for that anyway when flying domestic F on an airline that doesn’t offer good headphones (I’m looking st you, AS). I prefer not using an ipad but instead using the airline tablets/seatback IFE etc. How are you using ipods in that case?
I don't use the IFE (mostly just listen to music and/or podcasts) but I have seen bluetooth dongles that plug into the headphone jack -- just search for "3.5mm bluetooth transmitter"
Old Nov 5, 2019, 12:08 pm

I got the AirPod Pros on Saturday. Have been using 1st gen AirPods for every day listening (transit to work, etc.) and Bose QC 20 for travel/air/etc., for last several years. Used the new Pros on a flight on Sunday for first time. I am absolutely NOT any sort of audiophile or expert on this stuff, so take my review FWIW.

I liked the new AirPods. They are definitely more comfy to wear than either the old AirPods or Bose QC. Certainly, the lack of cord makes it far easier for me to use when traveling because I was carrying around my Bose with two separate dongles - one for lightning and one for usb-c. However, the noise cancelling certainly is not as good as on the Bose. With the Bose, I flip the switch to turn noise cancelling on and it's like the world suddenly muted. Not so with the AirPods. They were definitely doing something, but it's much more subtle. The sound from my device was definitely much easier to hear with NC on but there was still ambient noise. There wasn't that sense of sudden silence. Sometimes, I just wear my bose with NC on and nothing playing just so I can sit in silence. I don't think that would be effective with the AirPods. On the flip side, I never used my Bose while taking the L to work because it didn't seem safe to be so cut off from the sounds around me while riding public transit. I won't worry about that with the AirPods - it kills some of the sound, but not enough for me to feel unsafe wearing them.

I've only used them for a total of about 4 hours so far - 2.5 hours of that in the air. I may feel differently after spending more time with them. I am sure I'll end up using these as my primary travel earbuds because the benefits (no cords, charges using same cables as my other devices) outweigh the cons (not as good actual noise cancelling).

(sorry for typos, knee-typing in conference room)
dtc and dalehill like this.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 12:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Can you just turn on the ANC without playing anything, just to quiet down the ambient noise?
Old Nov 6, 2019, 6:25 pm

Yes, you can even turn off Bluetooth to save battery on your device and the NC keeps working.
freecia likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 11:09 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Got mine a week ago and they work well on the train and on the ferry (not as good as the Sony WH1000xm3) .... unfortunately I got myself some WF1000xm3 very recently (in ear) which are now unused as the Airpods Pro are more comfortable (the Sony might have a slight ANC and Music advantage too but not sure). Anyone interested in a black set used for a couple of weeks let me know.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 3:06 pm

Having read a number of reviews of the new airpods, there seems to be a wide range of views on its ANC compared to the competition, such as Bose QC20 and Sony WF1000xm3. Opinions vary from certainly not as good to only slightly worse to at least as good, probably skewed towards the not as good category. Views on comfort seem to be much more uniform, with almost everyone saying they are very comfortable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.