Wiki Posts
Search

Noise-cancelling earphone suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2019, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US Gold
Noise-cancelling earphone suggestions?

I've had a pair of the Bose QC20s for some time now (thanks to recommendations in this forum), but they're not holding up wel;l even to infrequent use, and I'm beginning to think about replacing them with something more durable, reserving these as a backup. Also, I gather Bose is discontinuing them. So I'm looking for suggestions based on the following parameters:

- WIRED, with a cable and a 3.5mm jack
- Noise-cancelling
- Earphones, preferably with good noise isolation
- Good quality for playing music.

Any thoughts from the panel assembled here?

wg
Old Oct 28, 2019, 7:39 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Best place to check is Travel Technology forum. See the following threads:
Best noise cancelling headphones for flying?
New Bose Headphones/Earbuds
Alternative to expensive noise cancelling
[consolidated] Noise Cancel Headphones vs Earbuds
Good noise cancelling earbuds?

Are you looking for over ear, on ear, or in ear? Note that many wireless over/on ear NC headphones also come with wires to plug in directly.

For earbuds, check here:
https://www.soundguys.com/best-noise...-earbuds-5897/

Last edited by gobluetwo; Oct 28, 2019 at 2:18 pm
Old Oct 28, 2019, 8:08 am

Programs: Iberia Platino,15x Southwest Companion Pass/ Hilton LT Diamond/ Hertz PC, OWEmerald; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by wendyg
I've had a pair of the Bose QC20s for some time now (thanks to recommendations in this forum), but they're not holding up wel;l even to infrequent use, and I'm beginning to think about replacing them with something more durable, reserving these as a backup. Also, I gather Bose is discontinuing them. So I'm looking for suggestions based on the following parameters:

- Noise-cancelling

wg
Its going to be tough to beat the QC20's. Especially if you are on a transcontinent flight, i dont know how people can sleep with the Over the ear headphones.. I am not aware of anything Wired that comes close. BUT i am open to see whats out there.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 9:59 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum. AA and UA as well, but I don't care about them anymore.
Originally Posted by feysul
Its going to be tough to beat the QC20's. Especially if you are on a transcontinent flight, i dont know how people can sleep with the Over the ear headphones.. I am not aware of anything Wired that comes close. BUT i am open to see whats out there.
Yeah, pretty much this. I'm on my second pair of QC20s (after several years with the QC-15s prior to the QC20 being released), and they're the best earphones I've used for their intended purpose (noise cancelling on flights). I only really ever use them on flights, and sometimes in my office when on video calls and I don't want to use my desktop speakers.

My first pair lasted for a long time, I only replaced them because the battery was getting weaker and wasn't holding a charge (when new, I could use them for the full 14+ hour flight to Taipei or Tokyo from the eastern US). I tried sleeping with the QC15s early on, in all seat classes and it never worked out well. The QC20s work so well I sometimes even sleep with them in hotels if I'm in a noisy area. I'd probably invest in a backup pair and just hold onto them if they're being discontinued and not replaced with something equivalent (the QC35 isnt' an equivalent, much less battery life and I hate those neck band things.

That said, where are you hearing that the QC20 is being discontinued? I can find nothing pointing to that (other than when the original QC20 was discontinued when the QC20i was released).
Old Oct 28, 2019, 11:00 am

Programs: Iberia Platino,15x Southwest Companion Pass/ Hilton LT Diamond/ Hertz PC, OWEmerald; Marriott Gold
I dont think they are discontinued. I actually bought mine on Ebay or try Overstock. just make sure they are the Blue striped ones. I think they are newer
Old Oct 28, 2019, 8:17 pm

Programs: United, American
I know these are cheap - and not noise canceling - but reasonably noise reducing. I wear them daily on my train commute and also when flying with my iphone. They isolate enough (when playing music or movie) that I dont hear much of anything.

Cheap earbuds for Iphone Cheap earbuds for Iphone
Old Oct 29, 2019, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Thanks, Tesla 1856, but I do have other noise-isolating headphones I use and really like for other things. (Not cheap, but cheaper than the Bose ones.)

I may have misread whatever it was I was looking; I notice for those who want backup earphones that the Bose Apple models (what on earth is the difference between Apple and Android for a pair of cable-connected headphones??) are on sale at a very large discount on Amazon UK.

wg
Old Oct 29, 2019, 6:51 am

Thanks, Tesla 1856, but I do have other noise-isolating headphones I use and really like for other things. (Not cheap, but cheaper than the Bose ones.)

I may have misread whatever it was I was looking; I notice for those who want backup earphones that the Bose Apple models (what on earth is the difference between Apple and Android for a pair of cable-connected headphones??) are on sale at a very large discount on Amazon UK.

wg
The volume/stop buttons on Apple model may not work properly when connected on an Android phone

Same boat. My qc20 is on its last legs (glue on one earbud failed and casing is falling apart, other earbud is rattling). Just over 3 years, which makes it $80/year and expsnvie (but still worth it for me). Battery currently holds maybe 5hr charge, down from 15+

I'm probably going to order the refurb model on eBay for $150, maybe get a square trade warranty

Last edited by paperwastage; Oct 29, 2019 at 6:57 am
Old Oct 29, 2019, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Tesla1856
I know these are cheap - and not noise canceling - but reasonably noise reducing. I wear them daily on my train commute and also when flying with my iphone. They isolate enough (when playing music or movie) that I dont hear much of anything.
As do the factory wired earbuds that come with iPhones. And the added benefit of wired ear buds is that you are not transmitting relatively high power radiation millimeters from canal that leads to your brain. Just IMHO.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 9:24 am

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt

- Noise-cancelling

wg
Whats not holding up? I've had mine for three years and replaced the cushions, you can buy them online at Amazon or FleaBay. If that is what is going, buy a replacement and they will be good as new.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 10:04 am
Original Poster

The two halves of the main unit are separating, and innards are beginning to escape. I have it kept under control with a rubber band wrapped around it, but it's not ideal.

wg
Old Oct 30, 2019, 1:52 pm

This is mine. Could glue it back together, but don't like searching for skin-safe glue

There's really no true replacement for qc20. Bose move over to all-bluetooth for earbuds. Xiaomi has a USB typeC version that appeals slightly (don't need to charge, wired), but won't work on airplane IFE

https://i.imgur.com/zi6cTPW.jpg
Old Oct 30, 2019, 5:05 pm

Can't see the image...
Sugru for the battery pack? I don't advise sugru on the buds themselves as I find sugru in that area can change the sound (tried once to repair a wire coming out of the the bottom of an in-ear earphone).

Might be worth contacting Bose first Bose warranty change?
Old Nov 4, 2019, 3:44 pm

Was
Originally Posted by freecia
Can't see the image...
Sugru for the battery pack? I don't advise sugru on the buds themselves as I find sugru in that area can change the sound (tried once to repair a wire coming out of the the bottom of an in-ear earphone).

Might be worth contacting Bose first Bose warranty change?

I did contact Bose store, $200 discounted price for new qc20, optional $20 for 3yr warranty

The new pair of qc20 (earbuds stamped 2019 manufacture date), main wire is thinner and NC seems improved/better than my 2016 version

My broken pair had a brand new set of stayhear+ tip that I just purchased from Bose store , so it's not due to a leaky old tip. Could also be down to dust clogging the NC mikes in old version

Old version, even when brand new - if wind was blowing, the NC mics were picking it up and retransmitting it(or at least causing some noise relating to the wind blowing) - no such noises in the new version

Maybe someone can test this out if they have old pair (stop by a Bose store and try the demo model)

Last edited by paperwastage; Nov 4, 2019 at 3:57 pm
Old Nov 6, 2019, 3:49 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by stimpy
As do the factory wired earbuds that come with iPhones. And the added benefit of wired ear buds is that you are not transmitting relatively high power radiation millimeters from canal that leads to your brain. Just IMHO.

Huh?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.