Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best travel large phone holders for cars that packs light

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2019, 6:54 am
Original Poster

Best travel large phone holders for cars that packs light

I have the larger cell phones like Samsung + phones. These are too heavy and big for magnetic holders or even poptop style vent holders for cars. The best holder I have is one that slides into the car's CD player, however that is large to pack. What recommendations do you have for large phone car holders that pack light - phones like Note, S10+, etc?
Old Oct 24, 2019, 8:34 am

I have this one. It holds both my wife's iPhone XS Max and my Pixel 3XL with cases on the vent of my wife's car. The iPhone got a very heavy case but the clip of the holds solidly to the vent.

Amazon Amazon

In my car, I use this one. Very solid and could even hold a tablet, but it is not that portable.

Amazon Amazon
Old Oct 24, 2019, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Need
I have this one. It holds both my wife's iPhone XS Max and my Pixel 3XL with cases on the vent of my wife's car. The iPhone got a very heavy case but the clip of the holds solidly to the vent.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KN9MG78/
does this cup-holder one fold up or collapse well for light travel? looks pretty big in the photos
Old Oct 24, 2019, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by alchemista
does this cup-holder one fold up or collapse well for light travel? looks pretty big in the photos
No it does not. It is about the size of a baton. I was trying to get the shorter one (5"), but it had been not for sales for over a year now. The good thing about this one is that it is tall enough that you could see the phone and still kept eyes on the road. The vent one is pretty though if just using for rental cars. The clip goes around the back and secure very tight.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 1:05 pm

I use a Kenu Airframe + which holds my iPhone XS MAX in a slim tpu case. They also have a Pro for L and XL phones. Originally recommended here: Kenu Smart Phone Air Vent Clip and much sturdier clamp & vent insert than the generics.
ajGoes, alchemista and tcl like this.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by freecia
I use a Kenu Airframe + which holds my iPhone XS MAX in a slim tpu case. They also have a Pro for L and XL phones. Originally recommended here: Kenu Smart Phone Air Vent Clip and much sturdier clamp & vent insert than the generics.
thanks - i may look into it. i have never seen a vent clip like this be able to hold the weight of a large note device with heavy duty case though. it would have to be able to do that flawlessly to be worth that much more than all the other vent clips
Old Oct 25, 2019, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by alchemista
thanks - i may look into it. i have never seen a vent clip like this be able to hold the weight of a large note device with heavy duty case though. it would have to be able to do that flawlessly to be worth that much more than all the other vent clips
I bought a cheap knockoff first and the rotating connection between the vent clip and phone clamp warped with the weight of an iPhone 7 Plus with occasional use. It started to pull apart and then no longer stayed in correct orientation. The actual vent clip was fine. I don't know if other phone holders (suction, vent clamp) have similar components but something to look out for.

iPhone MAX range is on the heavier side at 208 g (7.34 oz) - 226 g (7.97 oz) while Note 10+ is 196 g (6.91 oz). Note 10+ is a bit wider but that's more a function of the clamp or magnet. If the MAX + case is compatible and doesn't cause the mount to fall off whatever attachment, a Note 10+ might work as well. You can always pop your phone on a mail scale to check the weight. Some cases are really heavy.
alchemista likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 9:45 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum. AA and UA as well, but I don't care about them anymore.
Have you tried one with a
strong magnet strong magnet
? The generic ones tend to use weaker magnets, the Steelie uses a neodymium magnet and it holds really well.

I use the vent mount plus the magnet for the Steelie on my iPhone 8 Plus (with a case as well). The 8 Plus weighs 202 grams, slightly more than the Galaxy 10+ at 198 grams for the ceramic model, and far more than the Galaxy 10+ glass at 175 grams.

I carry that whenever I'm going to be renting a car on a trip and it's worked well and I use the dash mount Steelie in all my cars without issue as well, including offroad where things bounce around quite a bit. Also, the magnet is strong enough that it holds my phone directly on my motorcycle gas tank when I ride.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 10:00 pm

Programs: DL GM,2MM [3.37TMM]
Kenu Airframe +

Another vote for the Kenu Airframe +. It’s TINY.

I use it with a new iPhone 11 Pro Max fitted with a Luvvitt Clearview case which has an adhesive rubber card wallet stuck on the back with 2 cards and 2 $20 bills folded inside.

Grips like Ike a pit bull. Just don’t place the 2 clamp arms on the iPhone side buttons. Use it in rental cars all the time

just checked Amazon: $20 with Prime.

https://www.amazon.com/Kenu-Airframe-Android-iPhone-Accessories/dp/B00LU5LWQK/ref=sr_1_3?crid=17EPT3NPWAGHP&keywords=kenu+airframe+%2B&qid=1572843030&sprefix=Kenu+airframe+%2Caps%2C148&sr=8-3 https://www.amazon.com/Kenu-Airframe-Android-iPhone-Accessories/dp/B00LU5LWQK/ref=sr_1_3?crid=17EPT3NPWAGHP&keywords=kenu+airframe+%2B&qid=1572843030&sprefix=Kenu+airframe+%2Caps%2C148&sr=8-3
tcl likes this.

Last edited by JT8D-217; Nov 3, 2019 at 10:09 pm Reason: Added currents price on Amazon
Old Nov 5, 2019, 1:18 am
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
+1 on the Kenu Airframe. Love it for rental cars. Belkin also makes a passable version for smaller phones. Avoid the knock offs as the rubber bit does not have the deeper X grooves to hold the phone as securely. Some knockoffs also have a lip on the arms holding the phone that prevent one-hand removal of the phone while driving.

Last edited by tcl; Nov 5, 2019 at 1:20 am Reason: clarification

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.