Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dropbox

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2019, 10:57 pm

Programs: BA - Blue
To OP: just note that if your travel plans include China, dropbox is not accessible without VPN. This may be an important consideration if the raison-d'aitre is access to documents in an emergency.

tb
Old Aug 16, 2019, 9:30 pm

Dropbox is a banned site in our office due to numerous security problems they've had over the years.

Here's a quick, but nowhere near comprehensive list of problems they've had:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Dropbox

Our office hosts its own cloud-like setup in our own private off-site data center. No one's going to take care of your data like you would.

We DO have some multiple-encrypted (we encrypt it before it gets uploaded, and B2 also has encryption) data over at BackBlaze's B2, but it's encrypted with multiple, sequential ciphers. Paranoid? Not really given what our office works on from time to time. Our laptops aren't allowed to leave the country either. I also do keep my important docs over there, also with multiple ciphers, in case the worst happens. Medical history, important docs, etc.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by KRSW
Our office hosts its own cloud-like setup in our own private off-site data center. No one's going to take care of your data like you would.
The bold statement is only as good as the timely software patches provided by the 3rd parties to protect the office data. Recently Apple and Microsoft both had security issues discovered which existed for years. Apple issued a security patch for the iPhone 4S which has not been supported since September 2014. The Microsoft security issue covers all products from Windows XP to Windows 10.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by TGarza
The bold statement is only as good as the timely software patches provided by the 3rd parties to protect the office data. Recently Apple and Microsoft both had security issues discovered which existed for years. Apple issued a security patch for the iPhone 4S which has not been supported since September 2014. The Microsoft security issue covers all products from Windows XP to Windows 10.
With security, whether electronic/computer, personal/bodily, or physical/building, there's threats and risks. Threats are possible bad things that can happen. Risk is the probability of those things actually happening. I'm sure you've left a window open in a building or car at some point. That's a major security threat, as a prowler could just climb right in! BUT, I'm willing to bet that didn't happen. The risk was low enough that you decided you could open the window. Likewise, do you have a bodyguard with you 24/7? Most likely not. Why? Because the chances of something bad happening is so low that you can't justify the hassle and expense. Not every computer/software threat is a reality, or even a problem unless the computer's connected up to raw internet without a firewall.

If anything, your post underscores why we've done what we've done.

Dropbox is a much bigger target than our lowly IP block in a very quiet, almost completely unused larger IP block. I see the random IP drop by periodically, but we'll go days, sometimes weeks without someone trying the doorknob. We still use nice security -- The software we use is also used by companies like Cisco, airlines, airports, health insurance companies, hotel chains, automotive manufacturers. We use them as our shield/canary-in-the-coalmine of sorts, since they're much larger targets than us and have much larger and experienced IT departments. No reason for us to reinvent the wheel when these large companies have paid employees doing the work for us.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 2:29 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Has there been major security breaches with Google Drive? Seems like Google takes security seriously (since having sole access to your data is what makes the company valuable). Ideally you would encrypt the data you upload to whatever provider as well, to prevent the provider from snooping (although that might not be practical for many types of data).
Old Aug 20, 2019, 6:44 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
I use
Tripit (free)- I have the pro. This is mostly for flights on code shares where I need to know 2 or more PNRs (looking at you IB/BA)
Dropbox 2 FA with a boxcryptor folder for sensitive stuff (early adopter- 2 accounts with 15 gb each)
I still have a little business on the side that I can do online so that goes in Onedrive
and for non sensitive things Google Drive. They have recently split Drive from Photos but I have not noticed a real difference. I have not seen a report of a google drive cloud account being compromised.

My wife the lawyer always takes hard copies of everything.
Old Jan 9, 2021, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I have a free Dropbox account with 12GB of storage, but the one device limitation is very annoying. Now that I have a multi-year Office365 subscription with 1TB OneDrive storage, I was looking for a seamless way to migrate all the files in my Dropbox to OneDrive. That's when I stumbled upon mover.io. Instead of using your local computer as an intermediary, it just connects directly with whatever cloud service you're using and migrates all data to where you want it moved.

It used to cost $20, but it was bought by Microsoft just over a year ago and it's now a free service.

I'll save any super important documents on Dropbox, OneDrive, and Google Drive (and locally on my phone and laptop).
Old Jan 9, 2021, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
I have a free Dropbox account with 12GB of storage, but the one device limitation is very annoying. Now that I have a multi-year Office365 subscription with 1TB OneDrive storage, I was looking for a seamless way to migrate all the files in my Dropbox to OneDrive. That's when I stumbled upon mover.io. Instead of using your local computer as an intermediary, it just connects directly with whatever cloud service you're using and migrates all data to where you want it moved.

It used to cost $20, but it was bought by Microsoft just over a year ago and it's now a free service.

I'll save any super important documents on Dropbox, OneDrive, and Google Drive (and locally on my phone and laptop).
Oh nice, thanks for sharing.

Was hoping they had a Mega connector... but not atm. Oh well.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 4:44 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I went through this process last year. Why pay for DropBox when I get 1TB free with Office 365?

I'd not heard of mover.io, so I did it the manual way. I've got fast broadband, so it didn't too long - although I only use about 120GB anyway.

No regrets so far.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I went through this process last year. Why pay for DropBox when I get 1TB free with Office 365?

I'd not heard of mover.io, so I did it the manual way. I've got fast broadband, so it didn't too long - although I only use about 120GB anyway.

No regrets so far.
I was thinking about this as well.

I do find dropbox to be quite convenient... although I'm still trying to pare down my files so that I can simply use a free account.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 11:15 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
My wife’s employer went from local servers for everything to some corporate Dropbox setup.

Its been a disaster for everyone, in more ways than one. It’s now keeping all computers from entering sleep mode because each laptop is constantly trying to sync thousands of files.

Her laptop ran so hot and wouldn’t sleep that it baked the battery so bad the computer no longer sat flat on the desk. IT sent a new battery and due to Covid it was going to weeks if not months for them to swap them. I said to hell with it and made the swap last night. Happy I did, the battery had doubled in thickness and surely must have been a fire hazard.

Dropbox has been a complete disaster for the thousands of employees she works with, although for individual use I’ve never had a problem with it.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 12:30 am

I have an old PC which I run as my personal server. That's not for everyone but at least I control everything.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
My wife’s employer went from local servers for everything to some corporate Dropbox setup.

Its been a disaster for everyone, in more ways than one. It’s now keeping all computers from entering sleep mode because each laptop is constantly trying to sync thousands of files.

Her laptop ran so hot and wouldn’t sleep that it baked the battery so bad the computer no longer sat flat on the desk. IT sent a new battery and due to Covid it was going to weeks if not months for them to swap them. I said to hell with it and made the swap last night. Happy I did, the battery had doubled in thickness and surely must have been a fire hazard.

Dropbox has been a complete disaster for the thousands of employees she works with, although for individual use I’ve never had a problem with it.
Do they know that there is the Smart Sync feature they can use to avoid this?
ajGoes and Dave510 like this.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by COSPILOT

How strange. My company migrated from OneDrive to Dropbox. If all of your stuff was on OneDrive before the migration, it was done via cloud (probably with something similar to mover.io); they also recommended you upload anything and everything into OneDrive before the migration. That said, very little is synced to my Dropbox; the majority of my development work is "synced" via something like Github.

Sounds like your wife's corporate IT needs to figure out the sync settings for all employees. Does she really need those "thousands of files" on her laptop?
Old Jan 11, 2021, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
How strange. My company migrated from OneDrive to Dropbox. If all of your stuff was on OneDrive before the migration, it was done via cloud (probably with something similar to mover.io); they also recommended you upload anything and everything into OneDrive before the migration. That said, very little is synced to my Dropbox; the majority of my development work is "synced" via something like Github.

Sounds like your wife's corporate IT needs to figure out the sync settings for all employees. Does she really need those "thousands of files" on her laptop?
smart sync or select sync isn’t an option for the investigators or admin as they need access to all files. Even IT admits it’s a problem without a solution right now. As of right now their answer is to let the computers bake.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.