Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Sudden Strange Behavior - iPhone 7+

Old Jul 3, 19, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater

I will probably need to post to the Apple site, but something weird happened to my phone last night. Sometime during the night with the phone unused and without any automatic updates installed, the battery started to run down rapidly and the phone lost the ability to download/show many photos across a wide variety of apps, including Instagram, Facebook, Whatsapp, etc., but while some photos will show up, others just have the refresh arrow. The behavior is the same on/off Wifi.

I've rebooted the normal way as well as a hard restart multiple times, but there is no change.

Has anyone experienced this before? I really want to avoid doing a backup then reset and restore if possible.
Old Jul 3, 19, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
I will probably need to post to the Apple site, but something weird happened to my phone last night. Sometime during the night with the phone unused and without any automatic updates installed, the battery started to run down rapidly and the phone lost the ability to download/show many photos across a wide variety of apps, including Instagram, Facebook, Whatsapp, etc., but while some photos will show up, others just have the refresh arrow. The behavior is the same on/off Wifi.

I've rebooted the normal way as well as a hard restart multiple times, but there is no change.

Has anyone experienced this before? I really want to avoid doing a backup then reset and restore if possible.
It looks like photos and videos are down for all Facebook owned businesses - although it does not explain the sudden battery drain issue:

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-a8986426.html
Old Jul 3, 19, 12:30 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AA Lifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, DL Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
An educated guess is that one or more apps that's trying to contact its mother ship to download pictures or what not and is unable to do so because of the outage mentioned above is not reacting well to the outage, perhaps going into a CPU loop and thus draining the battery. I've found several apps that I use don't react well when there are connectivity problems - I don't think it's something that many app developers test well enough.
bocastephen and javabytes like this.
Old Jul 3, 19, 3:43 pm

Location: In theory near BHD or ABZ, but usually a hotel in another country
Programs: Seniors Bus Pass, BA Silver
This is in the news:
https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-48855823

Search this Thread