Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel Adapter Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2019, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Travel Adapter Recommendations

Long time lurker not too often of a caller but will be traveling to Sweden and was wondering if anybody can recommend any travel adapters, multi chargers possibly for the trip. I would like to bring my laptop and phone and probably will be charging other people's stuff as well if they are not prepared. Many thanks for any recommendations thanks for being a part of the community.

Prost!
Old Jun 8, 2019, 2:30 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by fvshaggy
Long time lurker not too often of a caller but will be traveling to Sweden and was wondering if anybody can recommend any travel adapters, multi chargers possibly for the trip. I would like to bring my laptop and phone and probably will be charging other people's stuff as well if they are not prepared. Many thanks for any recommendations thanks for being a part of the community.

Prost!
Here are a couple of threads that might help:

Best brand of international power adapters?

Power Outlet Shape Adapter Advice

As mentioned in the first thread, I take an Anker multi-port USB charger and use a power cord configured for the area of my travels. I like this set up because I've found that power outlets in many European countries are of limited number in many hotel rooms and all too frequently are located behind beds, tables, desks, etc. With a multi-port device, I need only find one power outlet and I can place the charger block on a flat surface other than the floor. There's no reason that you can't also just plug the US plug into an outlet adapter. So long as you're only charging phones and laptops, you shouldn't need a more expensive power transformer (plug adapter, around $10; transformer, $30 and above) because those devices are generally dual voltage. The USB multi-port blocks usually don't charge computers (although USB-C PD and compatible laptops are changing this dynamic) so you may need two outlet adapters. In the alternative, some of the power adapters on the market now include USB ports in them as well so you can charge a laptop and one or two USB powered devices at the same time.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

That is great and thanks for the links as well. I just want to make sure i buy a quality plug as I don't want to do any damage at all. If there are any other recommendations they would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 7:49 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
I haven't updated that wiki in a while and I must mention two newer devices. The Maru & Masa Kickstarter finally shipped and in almost all cases it's better than the MOGICS Bagel which it licensed. The Bagel has more AC sockets and the universal AC converter fits within the device but the three AC sockets Maru has is enough and the dual USB C, dual USB A sockets it has subsumes so many adapters (like the 4.1 x 2.8 x 0.9 inches Satechi dual) that the necessity to carry the Tofu is OK, especially if your trip doesn't involve many plug shape countries then you can plug in one head and leave the Tofu at home.

This device is a three prong adapter (still very rare) with an integrated 30W USB C PD charger and two USB A plugs. If you need a grounded power adapter then it's worth looking at.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 9:27 am

Regarding the MARU, the spec says 45W on the PD1 port, 18W on PD2 and 15W shared between the two USB-A ports but a total of 63W. How does it prioritize power delivery on the PD ports if one has devices already plugged into the two USB-A ports?

Also, how do the USB-A ports present themselves to devices in terms of encoding voltages on D+/D-? DCP 1.5? And are these ports independently protected against over-current?
Old Jun 9, 2019, 11:56 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
I was informed the Maru is actually 45+18+12=75W. The 63W is the USB C part only. Since it recently shipped I expect someone will do a review re DCP soon.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 11:56 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond. American Airlines Platinum, Mariott: Gold. Delta: Gold
Just make sure you don't buy only a physical adapter rather than a power converter.

Laptop brings usually have the power converter tech inside them and can work with a physical adapter in them and then you can get away with plugging stuff into the usb ports on a laptop but i always bring an actual power converter with me just to have options.

The one i have actually has a switch that can send low output to things like my electrofan sleep machine (15w or less) and a high output mode for things with fast charging such as my HP Spectre X360 (65 watts)...again, it is nice to have options.

Mine is the Insignia travel adapter and converter kit which has the two modes and comes with physical adapters for every part of the world.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by chx1975
I was informed the Maru is actually 45+18+12=75W. The 63W is the USB C part only. Since it recently shipped I expect someone will do a review re DCP soon.
I will look out for a detailed review.

I recently bought a USB Power Meter and an electronic load to make measurements on the chargers I already have and have been disappointed at some of the results.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for the reply's there is so much information out there. Trying to decide on the best.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Every electronic gizmo made in the last 15ish years is dual voltage. (I know that I'm asking for trouble saying "every" since someone will come out of the woodwork and say that their obscure German brand of electric toothbrush requires exactly 230V...).

If you are uncertain, look at the specs label on your device. If it says INPUT 100-240V then you are fine. All you need it a cheap adapter to change the shape of the plug.
LIH Prem likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 1:29 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Every electronic gizmo made in the last 15ish years is dual voltage. (I know that I'm asking for trouble saying "every" since someone will come out of the woodwork and say that their obscure German brand of electric toothbrush requires exactly 230V...).

If you are uncertain, look at the specs label on your device. If it says INPUT 100-240V then you are fine. All you need it a cheap adapter to change the shape of the plug.
I didn't want to come out of the woodwork, and I think so long as we're talking consumer electronics in the tech category, such as phones, computers, music players, etc., that's absolutely right, but I've heard from multiple sources that hairdryers tend to be finicky and that even with a power transformer, the odds aren't much better than 50-50 that an American hairdryer will survive a trip to Europe without getting fried.

But as to the devices that most of us in a thread like this carry, you're 100% correct. I have never damaged any of my tech devices by using just a plug adapter rather than a transformer. And I just walk around Europe with wet hair. . .
Old Jun 17, 2019, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
I didn't want to come out of the woodwork, and I think so long as we're talking consumer electronics in the tech category, such as phones, computers, music players, etc., that's absolutely right, but I've heard from multiple sources that hairdryers tend to be finicky and that even with a power transformer, the odds aren't much better than 50-50 that an American hairdryer will survive a trip to Europe without getting fried.

But as to the devices that most of us in a thread like this carry, you're 100% correct. I have never damaged any of my tech devices by using just a plug adapter rather than a transformer. And I just walk around Europe with wet hair. . .
Yes, but hair dryers aren’t really electronics. They are a fan and heating coil. You can buy a dual voltage hair dryer but it might be more expensive than buying separate, single voltage hair dryers...

Dual voltage ones will have a switch to select the correct voltage. Hair dryers are high power devices (maybe up to 1500 Watts or so) so to use a single voltage hair dryer on a different voltage you need a heavy, expensive transformer.
ajGoes and ijkh like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.