Wiki Posts
Search

Streaming from outside the US

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2019, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Streaming from outside the US

You cannot stream on airplane wifi, but what about your hotel outside the country? Is there any way to stream live TV or on demand there from back home? I have tried Comcast provider authentication in iPad apps in one US time zone, but still can only get the local for live, and VPN didn’t help. Maybe Hulu is the way to go.

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/how-to...de-us-3672619/
https://www.hulu.com/live-tv
Old May 5, 2019, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by vanillabean
You cannot stream on airplane wifi, but what about your hotel outside the country? Is there any way to stream live TV or on demand there from back home? I have tried Comcast provider authentication in iPad apps in one US time zone, but still can only get the local for live, and VPN didn’t help. Maybe Hulu is the way to go.

Depends on your VPN provider Some of them will work, some will not.

BTW, on some airlines, you can stream, but be prepared for jerky performance.
Old May 5, 2019, 4:15 pm

Programs: *G
Slingbox is made for this
kennycrudup likes this.
Old May 6, 2019, 3:59 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I have a OpenVPN installed on my router (very easy to do). I just then open a VPN connection from wherever I am, and it's as if I was at home. All the streaming services I use (BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, Netflix, Amazon Prime etc.) all work.
Old May 6, 2019, 2:24 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by vanillabean

I have a few suggestions. A) Don't use a major VPN company. I think streaming companies block many of their IPs to prevent people from doing what you're trying to do. As DYKWIA said, you're better off to have a VPN at your house for this (I'd also recommend OpenVPN). Then stream appears to come from same IP as your home to the streaming company. B) Some streaming apps also use your devices reported location (from GPS, or estimated location based on nearby MACs) to determine if you're eligible for their content. Workaround is to turn off location services for streaming apps.
Old May 6, 2019, 4:20 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
I currently use Witopia and I am very happy. When we had a few trips to China scheduled we used Golden Frog to bypass the great firewall. I am not sure who is the current best VPN for China. I can pick my country server with Witopia and it works on all my devices.
Old May 13, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
I use an Asus router which makes it super easy to set-up a home VPN. A side benefit is that Hulu blocks my iPad if away for more than 30 days...the VPN solves this problem.
Old May 14, 2019, 6:16 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
If you're tech savvy, consider using Wireguard over OpenVPN: the performance is so much better. I run both from home, and only defer to OpenVPN if the packet loss is too high (WG uses UDP). What is nice about OpenVPN is I run it on 443 too to get past those public firewalls that don't open up 1194.
Old May 14, 2019, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
If you're tech savvy, consider using Wireguard over OpenVPN: the performance is so much better. I run both from home, and only defer to OpenVPN if the packet loss is too high (WG uses UDP). What is nice about OpenVPN is I run it on 443 too to get past those public firewalls that don't open up 1194.
IIRC, it's possible for OpenVPN to use UDP too. (The software itself, not necessarily whatever VPN service you're using.)

Also, I wonder how well using 443 will work over time since I have run into software that hijacks HTTPS before (for instance, whatever's running on my work-issued laptop when I'm not connected to the corporate network via VPN or otherwise).
Old May 14, 2019, 10:59 pm

A personal VPN is not a bad thing, but when it comes to using it for streaming keep in mind the limited upstream bandwidth of most broadband internet plans.
Old May 14, 2019, 11:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I use Express VPN to live stream from my US cable provider in Germany, no problems.
Old May 15, 2019, 6:16 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by tmiw
IIRC, it's possible for OpenVPN to use UDP too.
True, and I actually have OpenVPN running on UDP/TCP 1194 and UDP/TCP 443. The optimal config for OpenVPN is UDP/1194, but this way, I keep my options open (TCP for connections that are spotty and/or tend to drop UDP packets- when I had Cricket Wireless I had horrible thruput via UDP, for example).

Also, I wonder how well using 443 will work over time since I have run into software that hijacks HTTPS
I've had that too, and unless it's a captive portal setup (which means you should have authenticated first anyway), it's been my experience that if the MitM doesn't understand the traffic, it passes it on unmolested.
Old May 15, 2019, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I use ExpressVPN to stream my US content (YoutubeTV) when in Europe and UK content when I am in the U.S. (iPlayer and Eurosport). Quality is very good. One thing that does not work is Netflix. They must be doing some magic.
Old May 15, 2019, 6:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by RoxyMountain
I use ExpressVPN to stream my US content (YoutubeTV) when in Europe and UK content when I am in the U.S. (iPlayer and Eurosport). Quality is very good. One thing that does not work is Netflix. They must be doing some magic.
Interesting. Netflix should work, speak to E-VPN and they'll tell you to connect to a different server in the country. The Washington DC server won't let me load up FlyerTalk!. What refuses to work is Amazon Prime, they detect VPNs.
Old May 15, 2019, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Interesting. Netflix should work, speak to E-VPN and they'll tell you to connect to a different server in the country. The Washington DC server won't let me load up FlyerTalk!. What refuses to work is Amazon Prime, they detect VPNs.
I have not tried Netflix recently as I gave up after no luck a year ago. Will try again on my next trip over. Was in Germany all last week and Google TV worked great. Now I am back in the states watching Eurosport as I write this. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.