Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for an Android tablet that's high resolution?

Recommendations for an Android tablet that's high resolution?

Old Mar 11, 19, 11:32 pm
dtc
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime Gold, SPG Gold
Question Recommendations for an Android tablet that's high resolution?

My trusty Samsung Tab S 8" is kaput.

I'm looking to buy another 8" tablet - the size works for me.

I was looking around and it seems the market has really dried up! Especially for higher resolution ones! If I'm not mistaken, the only two great choices are the:
1. Huawei MediaPad M5 8" - which has mixed reviews for its buttons and wireless. Yuck.
2. Samsung Tab S2 8" - which launched in 2016??

Wirecutter recommended the Lenovo Tab 4 8 - but the resolution on that's pretty meh as is the geekbench performance.

Do you know of any other Android 8" tablets that I should be considering?
Old Mar 12, 19, 7:38 am

android tablets haven't been doing good - looks like apple has a stronghold on the tablet sector

do you want it for gaming, or just browsing/multitasking?

I would take a peek at the chinese brands

Cube
ChuWi
https://www.chuwi.com/product/items/Chuwi-Hi8-SE.html
Teclast
Teclast - Official Website

maybe asus zenpad too
https://www.asus.com/us/Tablets/ZenPad-Products/

typically, their screens are very good (FHD/2k IPS), but it's hard to find a snapdragon (typically some mediatek cpu)

some use intel atom x64, so you can dual boot android + windows, but some android apps/games are restricted to ARM/ARM64 and wont work on a x64 CPU <- make a note of the CPU as well
dtc likes this.

Last edited by paperwastage; Mar 12, 19 at 7:48 am
Old Mar 12, 19, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum
If you can stomach a 10" tablet, Costco has the Samsung Tab A for $270 and the Samsung Tab S2 for $280.

What is your use case for the tablet?
Old Mar 12, 19, 8:53 am

Like you, I had the Tab S2 8.0 and really liked that tablet. Remember though that the size in the tablet's title refers to the screen size. I moved to the Galaxy Tab S3 9.7 and noticed the slightly larger tablet body size for about 2 hours and then it became a non-issue. Even though it is a 9.7" screen, we're talking about drastically different hardware from the old Samsung 10" days. Personally, unless you have very specific needs, I don't think you'll notice a difference.
Old Mar 12, 19, 11:09 am
dtc
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime Gold, SPG Gold
Thanks for the responses. Some thoughts:
1. My primary use cases are reviewing videos (especially HD), slack (which can be surprisingly sluggish!), and a proprietary app that can be pretty CPU intense.

2. I really liked the 8" form factor because it's somewhat pocketable, and I'm a bit on the smaller size. This is definitely a travel/on-the-go scenario kind of device for me. When I need it, I really need it.

3. I looked at the Tab A and it has surprisingly bad CPU benchmarks. It's actually worse than the Tab S(1?) that I used to have. I'll keep an eye out for the S2 at Costco, but it seems sad to buy a 2016 device in 2019.

4. I've never heard of those Chinese brands, I'll take a look. Thanks.

I guess I'm a dinosaur in a world of phablets. (Hm... it looks like people stopped using this word too!)
Old Mar 12, 19, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As I've said in other threads, as phones hover around 6" mark, and laptops are in the 13.3-14" range, there should be a need for 10" tablets for those in-between moments. Sadly, there isn't, so no one is making them anymore.
Old Mar 12, 19, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by dtc View Post
4. I've never heard of those Chinese brands, I'll take a look. Thanks.

I guess I'm a dinosaur in a world of phablets. (Hm... it looks like people stopped using this word too!)
Phablets are the standard phone now.

But back to the point, I have owned a few of the chinese brands...

1) Performance in Windows has been garbage. (at least the ATOM versions)
2) Under Android, performance hasn't been great.
3) Build quality is pretty bad.... usually the battery starts to poof up (warping the screens) after a few months....

Luckily I haven't paid much (I paid for one, the others were POC samples that all failed badly).

Out of what's left, I would probably go with the (soon to be out) S5e (10.5... yeah, kinda big but I don't think they make a smaller one anymore) or maybe the Huawei Matepad. NOTE: My advice, do NOT grab the latest rendition of the Tab A.... performance was pretty bad from the demo I had.
Old Mar 12, 19, 8:26 pm

GSMArena allows search by display size, resolution, and os
Android Phablets >= 6.5" https://www.gsmarena.com/results.php...in=6.5&sOSes=2
Android Tablets https://www.gsmarena.com/results.php...ax=9.1&sOSes=2

There's also a few ChromeOS tablets which seem to be positioned for the educational market https://chromeunboxed.com/chrome-os-tablet/ Most reviews I saw a few months ago mentioned growing pains and they are larger than what you're looking for.

I upgraded a phablet to a Samsung Note 8 international dual sim (exynos) over a year ago for media consumption and it handles videos + slack just fine. The form factor and smaller bezels make it pretty decent for portability if you can get used to something a bit smaller. The display is quite nice. I bought a Logitech Keys To Go keyboard while waiting for a better keyboard to come along. The phablet goes in my purse while the keyboard goes in a personal item/carry on. I haven't upgraded it to Samsung One UI yet but that's also rolling out.
Old Mar 13, 19, 7:07 am

I would just get that Huawei Mate 20X with 7.2" screen. Fast processor, amazing camera, phone + tablet all in one.
Old Mar 13, 19, 8:08 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by pseudoswede View Post
As I've said in other threads, as phones hover around 6" mark, and laptops are in the 13.3-14" range, there should be a need for 10" tablets for those in-between moments. Sadly, there isn't, so no one is making them anymore.
???

Samsung Tab S3, S4 and the new S5e are all around 10" and have great screens. I'll be getting an S5e when it's released.

Lenovo do a 10" also.

There's probably a load more also.
Old Mar 13, 19, 9:29 am

Any good tablets with LTE for USA and overseas ?

And the problem with most of the cheap Chinese tablets is they do not have Gorrila glass and with someone that big there is flex that will crack the regular glass.
Old Mar 13, 19, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
???

Samsung Tab S3, S4 and the new S5e are all around 10" and have great screens. I'll be getting an S5e when it's released.

Lenovo do a 10" also.

There's probably a load more also.
Sorry. I meant that these isn't a growing market for them. Samsung, Lenovo, and Amazon are pretty much the only big players left in the 10" tablet market (not counting the many Chinese-brand ones of questionable quality).

The Tab 5e looks interesting. Still a bit pricey for my taste, but I've been spoiled by owning a $150 HP TouchPad then a $150 Nexus 7 (2013).
dtc likes this.

Search this Thread