Wiki Posts
Search

Wireless earbuds?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2018, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Wireless earbuds?

I’d like to get some truly wireless earbuds like the Apple AirPods. What do people recommend? The reviews I’ve read seem to say the Jabra Elite 65t and B&O ones are best.

Im mostly looking for sound quality and battery life, but phone call quality (the microphone on the earbuds) is also important.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 2:32 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I’d like to get some truly wireless earbuds like the Apple AirPods. What do people recommend? The reviews I’ve read seem to say the Jabra Elite 65t and B&O ones are best.

Im mostly looking for sound quality and battery life, but phone call quality (the microphone on the earbuds) is also important.
Airpods are compatible with all bluetooth devices. IMO if they fit your ears they are the best option out there today...even for non apple users.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 4:38 am

Programs: *G
i find the verge to be a decent source of consumer gadgetry - not too techy, and not too main-street-click-bait'y a la Wired or Forbes

https://www.theverge.com/this-is-my-...ung-sony-anker
Old Nov 29, 2018, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks both. I just can't decide if I want Bluetooth earbuds or the new Sony noise cancelling headphones (the Sony WX-1000mx3 I think). I'd been all set to get the Sony and wait on the earbuds but I'm sitting at my desk listening to my Grados for the first time in a while and I'd forgotten how much I love the way these Grados sound.

Grado did just come out with a Bluetooth headphone but it doesn't support the AAC codec that iPhones use, which seems like a huge oversight from an audiophile company with presumably a lot of Apple device owners as customers.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 10:27 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/be...eless-earbuds/
Wirecutter likes the Jabras.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 10:45 am

I have had the Jabras for awhile now and in my opinion they are great. I've tried comparable earbuds from Jaybird, Bose and B&O. These are by far my favorite.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 11:30 am

Grado did just come out with a Bluetooth headphone but it doesn't support the AAC codec that iPhones use, which seems like a huge oversight from an audiophile company with presumably a lot of Apple device owners as customers.
I don't think I've ever seen a headphone that directly supported AAC? The phone would be doing the decoding of the AAC files. Or are you thinking aptX?

The timing for the Jabra's isn't ideal, they were on sale over the holiday weekend at a number of locations, and seem to be back up to regular price now. I thought about buying a pair myself, but couldn't really convince myself that for when and how often I use headphones that it was worth the upgrade over what I have.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Wouldn't a bluetooth do all that a wireless earbud does?
Old Nov 29, 2018, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cardsqc
I don't think I've ever seen a headphone that directly supported AAC? The phone would be doing the decoding of the AAC files. Or are you thinking aptX?

The timing for the Jabra's isn't ideal, they were on sale over the holiday weekend at a number of locations, and seem to be back up to regular price now. I thought about buying a pair myself, but couldn't really convince myself that for when and how often I use headphones that it was worth the upgrade over what I have.
The Sony WH-1000XM3 support AAC:SUPPORTED AUDIO FORMAT(S)SBC, AAC, aptX, aptX HD, LDAC
I just don't know what to do! Sony WH-1000XM3, Jabra earbuds, or just wait and suffer with wires until something more compelling turns up.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 11:53 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by UA Fan
Wouldn't a bluetooth do all that a wireless earbud does?
No, because they have wires between the L and R earbud.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 12:30 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus
I've read quite a few reviews on this topic as I'm also about to buy a pair. I am quite convinced I'll end up going with the Samsung Iconx (but most recent generation, the first version isn't as good).
Supposedly, I haven't tried them yet, they are better as the storage unit works as a power bank so you can charge them on the go while in your pocket, better battery life and built in memory in the earpiece.
​​​​​​
​​​​​​
​​​​​​
Old Nov 29, 2018, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Goaguy
Supposedly, I haven't tried them yet, they are better as the storage unit works as a power bank so you can charge them on the go while in your pocket, better battery life and built in memory in the earpiece.
​​​​​​
​​​​
​​​​​​​They all do that.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 12:35 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus
They all do that.
​​​​​​.. Seems i have to go back at reading. How embarrassing 😳
Has anyone tried the Samsung ones? They did win several tests.
​​​​​​
​​​​​​
​​​​​​
Old Nov 29, 2018, 1:11 pm

Programs: *G
I have the XM3 and wouldn't full-time endorse them. Generally, I don't like the bulk or hair-interfering qualities of headphones. Its features are more or less a gimmick. And apparent build quality isn't the best. Finally, noise cancellation is overrated. Airplane is mostly pink noise that my subconscious buries.

But worst of all, their microphone quality is absolutely horrendous.

I don't hate it besides the microphone thing, I think it's merely okay.

If I had to buy again I'd consider the Windows Surface headphones - appears to be built better, and the dual control knobs is a superior implementation. Also the B&W PX.

My only reservation about the fully wireless earphones is imagining myself losing them so easily. Would prefer a corded-wireless system where the 2 buds are wired together.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 1:14 pm

I have a set and I like them. Only issue is the volume. A little soft unless you take the membrane off that supposedly keeps them sweat proof.

Last edited by dougfoglesong; Nov 29, 2018 at 1:14 pm Reason: spelling error

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.