Wiki Posts
Search

A usable 7" laptop and a 7.8" eReader-tablet-monitor

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2018, 3:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
A usable 7" laptop and a 7.8" eReader-tablet-monitor

Tiny laptops existed for quite a while now, I had a Vaio P eight years ago -- but the Atom CPUs in them were just plain inadequate. But the One Mix Yoga 2S is using a proper Core chip, comes with 8GB and a PCIe SSD instead of eMMC. Benchmarks.

On the heels of this very exciting little device comes the Dasung not-eReader Indiegogo campaign. https://igg.me/at/not-ereader/x/5633299 The company is well known for larger screen eInk monitors at eyewatering prices but this is just the size of the Kobo Aura One -- that's how I found it, I broke my beloved eReader and needed a new one and searched for 7.8" eInk. So this 370 USD (shipping to Canada was 50 USD and I suspect it's not lower for the USA either) device is not only an eReader but also an Android tablet and a monitor with HDMI in. The campaign heavily touts its speedier refresh compared to other eInk devices but I couldn't care less. I do care about being able to answer chats from my eReader, that'd be super handy. And if a chat escalates into a work emergency I can pull out the One Mix Y2S and work -- on dual screen if I so want because the Y2S has a HDMI out and this has a HDMI in. This is a really great travel-emergency work kit. And remember the recently discussed Maru and Masa kickstarter with their two USB C ports which, again, fits this pair rather well.

Last edited by chx1975; Nov 22, 2018 at 3:42 am
Old Nov 22, 2018, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Don't know how you type reasonably on such a tiny keyboard. Also don't know how you handle a 7" 1920x1080 display unless you're under 40 and the presbyopia hasn't set in.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 9:38 am
Original Poster

As I said, it's an emergency device. Still worlds better than pawing at a glass rectangle which these days apparently passes as an input device. Gosh, I hate mobile typing.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chx1975
As I said, it's an emergency device. Still worlds better than pawing at a glass rectangle which these days apparently passes as an input device. Gosh, I hate mobile typing.
I love mobile typing. It's called a ThinkPad.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

I have a ThinkPad 25 Anniversary Edition. You might be preaching to the choir, my friend.
DenverBrian likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Blackberry?
Old Nov 23, 2018, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Also don't know how you handle a 7" 1920x1080 display unless you're under 40 and the presbyopia hasn't set in.
I have a couple of 15" laptops with 1920x1200, and I have to make the text etc. a little bigger in order to use them without squinting. I have a 14" laptop with 1440x900 and that's about as tiny as I'm comfortable with.

(My 24" monitor handles 1920x1200 just fine, as far as comfortable readability goes. Size matters )
Old Nov 23, 2018, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Dupe.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have a ThinkPad 25 Anniversary Edition. You might be preaching to the choir, my friend.
Woohoo! I'm thinking about an X1 Carbon for the next machine.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 1:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tentseller
Blackberry?
I wish. But, they insist on not rooting the device which makes it a non-starter in my books. Mobile devices are a usability nightmare anyways for me, let's not make it even worse by not having xposed running. (I must admit Universal Copy helped a little. A little.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.