FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A usable 7" laptop and a 7.8" eReader-tablet-monitor
Old Nov 22, 2018, 3:26 am
chx1975

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
A usable 7" laptop and a 7.8" eReader-tablet-monitor

Tiny laptops existed for quite a while now, I had a Vaio P eight years ago -- but the Atom CPUs in them were just plain inadequate. But the One Mix Yoga 2S is using a proper Core chip, comes with 8GB and a PCIe SSD instead of eMMC. Benchmarks.

On the heels of this very exciting little device comes the Dasung not-eReader Indiegogo campaign. https://igg.me/at/not-ereader/x/5633299 The company is well known for larger screen eInk monitors at eyewatering prices but this is just the size of the Kobo Aura One -- that's how I found it, I broke my beloved eReader and needed a new one and searched for 7.8" eInk. So this 370 USD (shipping to Canada was 50 USD and I suspect it's not lower for the USA either) device is not only an eReader but also an Android tablet and a monitor with HDMI in. The campaign heavily touts its speedier refresh compared to other eInk devices but I couldn't care less. I do care about being able to answer chats from my eReader, that'd be super handy. And if a chat escalates into a work emergency I can pull out the One Mix Y2S and work -- on dual screen if I so want because the Y2S has a HDMI out and this has a HDMI in. This is a really great travel-emergency work kit. And remember the recently discussed Maru and Masa kickstarter with their two USB C ports which, again, fits this pair rather well.

Last edited by chx1975; Nov 22, 2018 at 3:42 am