Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Android Pie and public log in wifi issue

Old Oct 13, 18, 2:00 am
Original Poster

Hello everyone,

I got a phone with the new version of Android and struggle to use airports public wifi. When I select the network it connects to it without launching the sign in page.
The only workaround I had is to use an other device, get the log in url and manually put it on my android Pie device.

Anyone got the same issue ? Any advice to make it work?

Thanks in advance

​​​​​
Old Oct 13, 18, 4:31 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Not sure, but try going to NeverSSL - helping you get online and see if this brings up the login page. This site is specifically for this purpose.

http://neverssl.com
smc333 likes this.
Old Oct 14, 18, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
Not sure, but try going to NeverSSL - helping you get online and see if this brings up the login page. This site is specifically for this purpose.

NeverSSL - helping you get online
​​​​​​
It works perfectly, a big thanks
Old Oct 14, 18, 10:22 am
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Platinum & MM; AA dirt; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold; & some other useless titles
Another method is entering the easy to remember IP address: 1.1.1.1

This works at least three-quarters of the time I run into problems finding a sign-in page at a hotspot.
Old Oct 14, 18, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Craig6z View Post
Another method is entering the easy to remember IP address: 1.1.1.1

This works at least three-quarters of the time I run into problems finding a sign-in page at a hotspot.
A lot of HTTPS-default websites (1.1.1.1 included) send "Moved Permanently" redirects to the HTTPS version when you try to visit the HTTP version, so just putting "http://" in front doesn't necessarily mean a browser will attempt the latter first. Clearing cache should reset things so that the browser will actually try HTTP though.
Old Oct 16, 18, 11:15 pm
Original Poster

All of your solutions worked perfectly most of the time. It even sometimes allowed me to log without registering properly. Thanks again
Old Oct 17, 18, 2:36 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hertz PC, BAEC Silver
I have an iPhone and an Android, the latter for travel. This is a perfect example of why I dislike the Android - it's simply too complicated to do basic things with it.
Old Oct 17, 18, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lhrsfo View Post
I have an iPhone and an Android, the latter for travel. This is a perfect example of why I dislike the Android - it's simply too complicated to do basic things with it.
Actually I have a Sony. I am not sure if the overlay is not the main issue here
Old Oct 18, 18, 1:49 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by lhrsfo View Post
The same thing happens sometimes on my Macbooks... and no doubt on iOS (although I don't have any iOS devices to confirm).
Old Oct 19, 18, 3:12 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
The same thing happens sometimes on my Macbooks... and no doubt on iOS (although I don't have any iOS devices to confirm).
It's worse on iOS, actually... once you do get it to connect, if you put the phone back in your pocket for 5-10 minutes it disconnects from the WiFi. When you start using it again, it'll re-connect, but depending on how the captive portal is set up it may make you re-authorize. Android devices (and 'real' computers whether Mac, Windows or Chrome OS) will just stay connected to the WiFi until it goes out of range or you disconnect.

Yes, this issue is really the network operator's fault for stupid configuration, but iOS stands alone in being unable to handle it.

Search this Thread