LG V20

Old Oct 11, 18, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

LG V20

Sometimes you don't want to pay $800 for a new cellhphone but you want one that has so many features that will enhance your travels. My LG G5 would not turn on so it was time to find another model. I like that LG keeps the removable battery so I went with the LG V20.

I found a TMobile model(H918) for $190 on EBAY from a seller that got over 1000 positive reviews and is a Cellphone Retailer. The item was listed as "Excellent Condition". The phone arrived in Excellent condition. Only a small smudge on the back cover which can be replaced. In addition this is the 64GB memory 4GB RAM model with an expandable SD Card Memory up to 2TB.

The phone is certified by Bang ad Olufsen with Quad DAC for premium audio, 2 cameras one of which is wide angle , it has 4K Recording, 4 Microphones that can record high quality audio for concerts. It also plays back 4K Video.

The phone is made out of aluminum the same quality as used on Aircrafts and has been tested for good drop protection although I purchased an Armor Case for extra protection.

When the phone arrived it updated to Android 8.0 and the phone has very good call quality. I love the second screen that shows my notifications and I can easily take calls from the 2nd screen.

The screen is very bright and is easy to see in sunlight. Also the GPS is very quick to respond unlike my LG G5 where the GPS would lose signal. The GPS quickly updates the location.

With this being a "5.7 inch screen pus a 2" 2nd screen its considered a Phablet. The phone is easy to operate with large hands and I enjoy watching my YouTube videos now because of the larger screen. I highly recommend an Armor Case with a Kickstand.

The phone also has a headphone jack and the phone will power High End Hedphones. With the IR Blaster you can use the phone as a Universal Remote to operate TVs, Air Conditioners and other IR dependent items.

It works on LTE Band 66 and Band 12 and has all the GSM bands for international use.
\
The Titan Gray color is nice and reminds me of the IPhone. Overall I am pleased with this phone and this model does not have the infamous Bootloop issue other LG Phones had.

Others with the LG V20 may be able to add to this review. This goes to show you don't need to spend loads of money on the latest Smartphone. GSM Arena and others gave this phone a good review. This phone is for Power Users with manual modes for the camera as reported by the online reviews. The Battery life is very good and if it goes bad I can purchase a new one.

The back cover is better than the LG G5. I did not like the modular design and it was hard to take the battery in and out. The LG G5 crashed on me.

Even in 2018 this phone is relevant. I am going to wait until the 600 MHz band comes to more cities and 5G comes a thing of the future and then I will upgrade to an even better phone. Getting a refurbished phone is sometimes the best way to go because it will fix any issues. I believe my phone was produced in 2017 as the first security upgdate was for March 2018 from 2017.

I look forward to your feedback on this phone!
Old Oct 11, 18, 11:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, United Silver, National Executive
You're very brave to want a G4/G5/V10/V20... Most people wouldn't touch one unless it's fire sale prices. FYI you're much too late to get in on the lawsuit
TWA884 likes this.
Old Oct 12, 18, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Proud Charter Member of the OUM
Originally Posted by msp3 View Post
You're very brave to want a G4/G5/V10/V20... Most people wouldn't touch one unless it's fire sale prices. FYI you're much too late to get in on the lawsuit
Fascinating. I never heard of the class action. My LGV20 has worked flawlessly for two years. Everything the OP says about the phone is true in my case. The only issue I'm noticing after two years is some burn-in on the OLED screen.

I'm due for a new phone the end of the year and will certainly consider the LGV40. This will end the removeable battery era, but I have a good battery bank now that pretty much obviates the need to carry around spare batteries.

LG's pictures get rave reviews from everyone who sees them. The new V40 has 5 (!) cameras, three rear, two front.
Old Oct 12, 18, 4:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Silver, Hyatt Discoverist, UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by danielonn View Post
has all the GSM bands for international use.
Seriously, who cares about GSM these days?!
Old Oct 12, 18, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Originally Posted by Marschel View Post
People that like to make/receive phone calls?

The vast majority of calls, especially when roaming, use GSM.
Old Oct 13, 18, 2:52 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, United Silver, National Executive
Originally Posted by Marschel View Post
People who cannot comprehend that GSM is a 2G technology that's decades out of date and shut down all over the world. Apparently they also have no idea that modern 3GPP standards UMTS/HSPA and "4G" (fake 4G, or HSPA+) are not GSM, and that 3GPP2 (1x, EvDO, etc.) and 3GPP have converged in LTE.
Marschel likes this.
Old Oct 14, 18, 1:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by msp3 View Post
I got a refurbished model for $190 on EBay. So potentially it could have fixed the issues as it seems like it was produced in 2017 as the first Security Update brought it up to March 2018 then to Adroid 8.0. It was purchased from a reseller on Ebay with over 1000 Positive Ratings and they repair phones too and test the phones out.

So perhaps the phone is a later production where LG fixed the flaws. So far the phone is working perfectly. I spoke with a few TMobile Reps and they said that the V20 was not part of the lawsuit but the V10 had issues.
Old Oct 14, 18, 1:50 am

Programs: Former UA 1K
My LG V20 is doing great. I have a Project Fi data SIM installed. Updates have been very slow for my international dual SIM phone.

Model #: h990ds

PS Finally getting Oreo!

PPS If you will be traveling internationally, check which models support the LTE bands you need. The best place to check which LTE bands are supported by various models is at the link below.

http://​www.techwalls.com/lg-v20-mod...rs-differences
Old Oct 16, 18, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply regarding your LGV20! I have the TMobiel H918 model and it should have many of the bands for LTE.

Originally Posted by DenverBrian View Post
Fascinating. I never heard of the class action. My LGV20 has worked flawlessly for two years. Everything the OP says about the phone is true in my case. The only issue I'm noticing after two years is some burn-in on the OLED screen.

I'm due for a new phone the end of the year and will certainly consider the LGV40. This will end the removeable battery era, but I have a good battery bank now that pretty much obviates the need to carry around spare batteries.

LG's pictures get rave reviews from everyone who sees them. The new V40 has 5 (!) cameras, three rear, two front.
DenverBrian likes this.
Old Oct 18, 18, 2:54 pm

Programs: Former UA 1K
V20 H918
LTE Cat12 2/4/12/66

From link posted in prior post
Old Oct 23, 18, 11:09 am

I had 2 V20's and finally gave up and moved to a Galaxy S9. Good features but has been one of the more unreliable phones I've owned.

What I loved most was the removable battery. I had a G4 at one point and loved this feature. The audio on the V20 is good but since it came out, there are other used phones with comparable quality here. FWIW, the G4's I had also lasted several months in actual use.

The screen on the first one started becoming unresponsive. Eventually I couldn't press anything in the top 1/3 of the screen. A replacement kit wasn't much cheaper than another handset so I just purchased another phone.

The second one worked fine for a few months. Eventually the mic died which rendered it useless without a headset. I now use it just to play videos and avoid bringing along a tablet. $190 is probably more than I would pay for it.

Search this Thread