Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Online backup programs

Online backup programs

Old Oct 2, 2018, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Online backup programs

When CrashPlan quit the home business, I took the business-plan offer for a year. But in the past week, it has slowed my computer so much I've quit backing up and am looking for a new program. I've read reviews and comparisons, and iDrive is exactly what I'm looking for. But the comments beneath the reviews are primarily negative. Does anyone have experience with this program that includes restoring?

Other recommendations? Minimum requirements: synch two computers, maximum of $75/year, doesn't throttle my computer (Win 7, soon to be Win 10), responsive support, uncomplicated interface, keeps data online until I delete it, email notifications of backups, encryption.

Last edited by linsj; Oct 3, 2018 at 7:18 am Reason: added info
Old Oct 2, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Spend a little more on Backblaze: https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/be...ackup-service/
Old Oct 2, 2018, 11:41 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Google Drive backup & sync

https://www.google.com/drive/download/backup-and-sync/
Old Oct 3, 2018, 12:51 am

Programs: ALL
What type of volume of data are we talking about ? Office 365 is a rather good deal when you consider what is included : https://products.office.com/en/buy/office
Old Oct 3, 2018, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by martin_paris
What type of volume of data are we talking about ? Office 365 is a rather good deal when you consider what is included : https://products.office.com/en/buy/office
About 400 GB data. Maybe full backup of hard drive to clone if necessary. Most of the data is sensitive enough to require encryption. No interest in Office 365.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 8:34 am

Backblaze B2 Cloud Storage with Arq Backup configured to do the backing up. Much cheaper cost per month.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 9:50 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Have had Mozy Backup for years. Very satisfied. It's saved me a few times.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 4:41 pm

I was also a Crashplan user, now on Backblaze. Backblaze saved my butt a couple of months ago. I'd been working on a document that was close to being finished. I screwed it all up, didn't realize it, and I saved all the garbage edits. The next day, I figured out what I'd done, but there was no way to undo my mistake.

This was when I discovered that Backblaze creates hour-by-hour versions of docs from the day before. Hourly backups eventually get truncated so if I'd needed to find something from the previous week, I'd have a choice of Monday/Tuesday/etc. Anyway, this was a lifesaving feature.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 3:29 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by linsj
When CrashPlan quit the home business, I took the business-plan offer for a year. But in the past week, it has slowed my computer so much I've quit backing up and am looking for a new program. I've read reviews and comparisons, and iDrive is exactly what I'm looking for. But the comments beneath the reviews are primarily negative. Does anyone have experience with this program that includes restoring?

Other recommendations? Minimum requirements: synch two computers, maximum of $75/year, doesn't throttle my computer (Win 7, soon to be Win 10), responsive support, uncomplicated interface, keeps data online until I delete it, email notifications of backups, encryption.
I use iDrive for a daily backup of my data from a Mac and a Synology NAS. The main issue is that it takes an age to to the initial upload. I've got about 100GB, and it took a couple of days!!! After that, however, it's worked flawlessly. I've never actually needed to restore anything in anger - but I tried a few partial restores to check everything worked.

iDrive is actually the fallback position... I have my Mac backed up to the NAS on a TimeMachine, and also all the data is on Dropbox.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

DYKWIA, thanks for commenting. I think every program takes a lot of time for the initial backup, but I'm glad to read something positive about iDrive. Haven't made a decision yet but am leaning toward Backblaze.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.