Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New laptop (2018 thread)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2018, 4:52 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt
Original Poster

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
New laptop (2018 thread)

I've been using a Samsung series 7 for nearly five years now, and I think that it's getting to the end - I'm getting BlueScreens pretty much every day.

[I'm sure that there must be a current 'what laptop' thread but I can't find it]

I'm not a power user, but I do a lot of travel, so priorities are:
- light
- strong
- light
- no slower than this one (i5-3317, 4GB RAM), but guessing that anything I buy now will meet this.
- as light as the Samsung (about 2.5 pounds)
- will be buying in the UK, but something around $1000 as a budget.

Bought an XPS13 for my partner last year, which she likes, so that's certainly an option. Also quite like the look of the Asus ZenBook Deluxe. Or an HP Spectre.

Anyone got any thoughts/input? ndekel?

Thanks

Last edited by Stewie Mac; Mar 11, 2018 at 5:00 pm
Old Mar 12, 2018, 1:02 pm

Programs: SkyTean, Star Alliance, HHonors
Originally Posted by Stewie Mac
- no slower than this one (i5-3317, 4GB RAM), but guessing that anything I buy now will meet this.

Don't take that for granted; Intel et. al. are making a lot of slugs now in the pursuit of thinner & lighter while at the same time extending battery life.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 2:04 pm

Programs: *G
if i bought any laptop running windows, i would only consider lenovo (x1), or microsoft (surface).
everyone else just churns out mediocre slapdash products
Old Mar 13, 2018, 2:21 pm

Lenovo T or X series if it's going to be your main computer. If it's a secondary, I've had decent luck with the smaller Lenovo Yoga series.

My office used to run Dell exclusively...and while Dell's on-site tech support guys are nice and professional, we were seeing them constantly, whether it be for the server or laptops. Switched over to Lenovo ~8 or so years ago and it's been smooth sailing.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 6:19 am

If I wanted the laptop like you describe now I'd be looking at LG Gram, although I haven't personally used it. Dell XPS is also a solid contender. I've had a number of ThinkPads over the years but would not recommend one now, they haven't been worth their premium price for quite a while. I actually still use a Zenbook I bought years ago, now as my second laptop: although Asus is by far not the worst in terms of engineering, they stop caring about their product the moment it goes off the shelves, which means practically no driver or even UEFI updates. They should do better than that, particularly for a premium product: their pricing can sometimes be very attractive on the other hand, in the US at least.

In general, buying a laptop these days, especially if you are going to use it for work, I'd strongly suggest to consider the one with the best warranty policy, and I'd actually go as far as trying to find people's actual experiences with getting things fixed where you are located to see how cumbersome it is in practice.

On a separate note, blue screens could be caused by software or something as simple to replace as a faulty memory module.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 10:45 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Originally Posted by deniah
if i bought any laptop running windows, i would only consider lenovo (x1), or microsoft (surface).
everyone else just churns out mediocre slapdash products
So in your opinion, only 2 Windows notebooks in the whole world are worthy of consideration? Got it.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
It's more expensive than the OP's budget but I would strongly recommend the Microsoft Surface, which fits the OP's requirements in all respects other than price.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 11:17 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt
Original Poster

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
It's more expensive than the OP's budget but I would strongly recommend the Microsoft Surface, which fits the OP's requirements in all respects other than price.
OP back again. I can stretch to $1100 (what B&H are charging for the Surface laptop w 8GB and 256GB SSD) but am I right in reading that it only comes with *one* USB port? Add that to my list of requirements - minimum 2 x USB.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 4:30 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
OP back again. I can stretch to $1100 (what B&H are charging for the Surface laptop w 8GB and 256GB SSD) but am I right in reading that it only comes with *one* USB port? Add that to my list of requirements - minimum 2 x USB.
Not sure why you need 'two' USB ports. I carry something like this with my Surface3:
USB Hub USB Hub
and that easily gets me to 4 ports.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
Not sure why you need 'two' USB ports. I carry something like this with my Surface3: USB Hub and that easily gets me to 4 ports.
Because without '2' USB ports, you have to carry around something like that.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 6:06 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Yeah, and it's not even USB-C.

I'd say the Dell XPS 13 is a good option.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 6:33 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by nerd
Because without '2' USB ports, you have to carry around something like that.
With a Surface, you also need a mouse, a keyboard, and the power adapter. If you do presentations, as I do, add both a Mini Display Port to HDMI cable and a Mini Display Port to VGA cable. When traveling, I also need a USB charger (4-port) and a USB battery bank. I also carry two tablets (Android and IOS). I need cables for all of this mess.

I don't understand your snark. There are MANY tradeoffs and we are discussing them. We're trading off weight vs functionality vs convenience. Frankly, picking a portable work PC based on 1 vs. 2 USB ports is missing the forest for the trees.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
With a Surface, you also need a mouse, a keyboard, and the power adapter. If you do presentations, as I do, add both a Mini Display Port to HDMI cable and a Mini Display Port to VGA cable. When traveling, I also need a USB charger (4-port) and a USB battery bank. I also carry two tablets (Android and IOS). I need cables for all of this mess.

I don't understand your snark. There are MANY tradeoffs and we are discussing them. We're trading off weight vs functionality vs convenience. Frankly, picking a portable work PC based on 1 vs. 2 USB ports is missing the forest for the trees.
Maybe we are arguing the same thing here. I don't know why you'd choose a laptop that's 2.7lbs (vs. say 3.0) if it means you'd need to carry around extra cables/adapters.

At some point you're sacrificing a lot for something that's 1/4" thinner and 5oz lighter.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 12:52 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
I realize Asus got trashed up thread, but I got this one for the 8th gen i7. Its a little over your requirements for price but close. It has just 2 USB C plugs, but the plug in adapters are very light and very useful for me. I got a second one on Amazon. The power cord is much lighter than even the tiniest bricks I have had in the past. I love it and its light at a hair over 1 kg. I have been getting updates on it. Battery life is good, back light keyboard if you want it, It gets hot when the processor is really working. And if it is your thing, it can game.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-2-...?skuId=6077502

USB C adapter
Amazon Amazon
Old Mar 19, 2018, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA, DL, BA, HH
I have read / heard rumors in the last 10 days that Apple is going to release a new "Air" model or something like an air model in the very near future. There is an conference coming up in a few days where an announcement might be made. I am not sure if you would be interested in a mac, but waiting a few extra days could be worth it. Here is the link.

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/03/16...ch-27-chicago/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.