Wiki Posts
Search

Best way to connect AirPlay to TV while traveling

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2017, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA LTG, SQ TPPS, CX DMP, AA EXP, Bonvoy LTT, ALL PLT, Hilton DM
Best way to connect AirPlay to TV while traveling

Looking to see what device can plug into a hotel TV HDMI port to watch my ipad remotely. I don't want to bring my Apple TV around.

I think the Chromecast only works with Chrome Browser? But I want to watch shows from my Amazon Video app.

Any other alternatives?

Thank you.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 8:23 am

You can always buy a lightning-to-HDMI adapter ($49 at the apple store), but you'll need an HDMI cable to plug into the back of the TV.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 1:25 pm

Amazon Firestick or Roku Stick? That way you don't need your iPad.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 1:42 pm

Programs: BA, Virgin, Lufthansa
Originally Posted by Need
Amazon Firestick or Roku Stick? That way you don't need your iPad.
I keep a FireTV stick in my travel bag (not sure if it works internationally as I'm always too busy when I'm outside the UK)
Old Jun 13, 2017, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
I was going to say firestick as it works quite well. Does things like slingplayer, most media apps and of course prime video.

but, it doesnt really do any airplay at all so if the OP has stuff on their device that they want to airplay to the tv, that's not going to work.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 10:27 pm

You can emulate an Airplay receiver with a FireTV stick and a several different apps available in the Android store. What sets the AppleTV apart is that it doesn't require Wi-Fi. There is a peer-to-peer mode. I don't think the other solutions have them which means connect to hotel WiFi which can be problematic depending on port blocking.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by Phudnik
You can always buy a lightning-to-HDMI adapter ($49 at the apple store), but you'll need an HDMI cable to plug into the back of the TV.
I went with this option for visits to folks who have an HD TV but no Apple TV (or in some cases, no Apple TV and no WiFi or no Internet connection) to connect my iPad to the TV. I went with this one thinking that Apple TV needed a Wifi/Internet connection at all times and not realizing what Dubai Stu mentioned. But, I'm happy not carrying my AppleTV around. Just the adapter and an HDMI cable. Admittedly, with no internet connection, I can only play movies/shows "loaded" onto the iPad. But, I can deal with that.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 7:38 am

Newer Apple TV's support a peer-to-peer mode that don't need external wifi. One other solution (and I'm thinking off my head here) would be a Windows stick with a hotspot mode and an airplay emulator like Airserver.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA LTG, SQ TPPS, CX DMP, AA EXP, Bonvoy LTT, ALL PLT, Hilton DM
I have the lightning to HDMI cable... just prefer remote access from the hotel bed...

Also my movies maybe on my Macbook or Ipad....at home Airplay is so easy so just want to find an equivalent when I travel in various countries.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
Newer Apple TV's support a peer-to-peer mode that don't need external wifi. One other solution (and I'm thinking off my head here) would be a Windows stick with a hotspot mode and an airplay emulator like Airserver.
Any tips on getting this to work consistently? I've tried to do this on a number of occasions and have only been able to successfully AirPlay directly from IPhone to Apple TV a couple of times, and even then, it required so many steps it was useless (turn both devices off, forget wifi networks, turn on, etc etc).
Old Jun 23, 2017, 8:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
You can emulate an Airplay receiver with a FireTV stick and a several different apps available in the Android store. What sets the AppleTV apart is that it doesn't require Wi-Fi. There is a peer-to-peer mode. I don't think the other solutions have them which means connect to hotel WiFi which can be problematic depending on port blocking.
One of the little $30 travel wifi hubs might be a solution for this. A little different but I use my chrome cast this way to setup my own network w same said as home. Then it works easily
Old Jun 26, 2017, 7:41 am

I've thought about that or one of my old hotspots. I have several 3g ones in my old tech drawer. I could put it in a case with an airplay and connect them both to a power splitter. When I give my next big speech in September, that might be the way to go, but it takes extra space in an overpacked overnighter bag which is frequently already being repurposed a full week on the road bag. Apple would do us a favor if they offered an Apple TV stick. My Microsoft marcast adapter works perfectly with my LTE Surface without such an adapter.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 11:10 am

Just learned that Apple TV finally supports captive portals to connect more easily to hotels' wifi. Anyone tried this out yet?
https://www.macworld.com/article/622...e-install.html
In tvOS 15.4, a feature called Captive Wi-Fi lets you use your iPhone or iPad to connect your Apple TV to networks that need extra sign-in steps. During the connection process, your Apple TV will prompt you to continue on your iPhone or iPad. You can then grab that device and follow the on-screen instructions to complete setup just as you would when setting up a new Apple TV.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 7:57 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
While helpful, it sounds like you still have to have the Apple TV with you at the hotel.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 10:13 pm

Roku seems to have airplay built in these days. https://support.roku.com/article/360057488733

Great device, I have a Roku Express 4k I travel with. And a small router which makes it all easier. Another FTer recommended it.

-David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.