Reload this Page >

Outfitting your travel kit for USB-C

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 10, 2019, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: cheltzel
If you want to use USB C for more than charging, then these two posts are useful: 1 2.

When planning your charger loadout, do note the charger your laptop shipped with is not a requirement, a lower one will be fine. For example, https://9to5mac.com/2018/09/25/60w-u...-all-macbooks/ says

the 87W charger filled up my 15-inch MacBook Pro battery more quickly than the 60W charger, but not by very much. After an hour and a half, the 87W charger added 76% battery while the 60W charger added 72%.
On the other hand, most laptops are not built to use higher wattage even if available. It won't hurt your laptop, though.

Buy chargers on Amazon at your own risk, they are known to commingle stock from every third party sellers. But, the chargers here do not have fakes (yet?) so even Amazon might be safe.

The smallest USB C chargers:
  1. Mu One. 45W. Comes with UK, US, EU folding plugs. 96 x 55 x 14mm, 82g with the UK plug attached. 3.78 x 2.17 x 0.55 inch, 2.89oz. Manufacturer shop, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N1PK1RP https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07N1PK1RP
  2. RAVPower GaN 45W : 72 x 54 x 14.9mm / 2.83 x 2.12 x 0.59inch, 75g / 2.65oz. This is a similar charger to Mu One only without the nifty plug heads. It is marginally cheaper, but without the unique multi-region folding plugs it isn't as good of an option for international travelers. Manufacturer shop, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H9WMW6N
  3. Innergie 60C (nee 55CC): 65W 60 x 30 x 30mm / 2.3 x 1.2 x 1.2 inch, 85g. While much thicker than the previous two, when the socket is hidden in a recess this has a much better chance to fit. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GBYVF4Q Also, a cable is available to charge legacy laptops https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GBYL5KZ only compatible with the Innergie 60C. This makes the Finsix Dart fully obsolete, it started as a legacy laptop charger and a USB C cable was planned and reviewed two years ago but never shipped.
If you have more than one USB C device:
  1. Satechi 75W: USB C 60W, USB C 18W, two USB A share 12W. 4" x 2.63" x 1", 11.14 oz. Manufacturer shop https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078864F15
  2. LVSUN LS-PD87-2C sold as Hyperjuice 87W charger: two USB C and one USB A all three share 87W. 4.33" x 3.86" x 0.79", 8.32oz Aliexpress Hyper https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KLWDY9C
  3. Hyperjuice battery: 27000 mAh USB C 100W, USB C 60W, USB A 18W. 7.2" x 3" x 0.84" / 183.2 x 77.1 x 21.3 mm Manufacturer shop (although it goes through indiegogo, it is not crowdfunding, it's just a shop)
  4. Maru & Masa Kickstarter: Maru is a 82mm/3.23" diameter bagel, 28mm/1.1" thick, 7.4oz, USB C 45W, USB C 18W, two USB A share 15W, three international AC sockets, nifty interchangeable international plugs. Masa is a battery 80 x 80 x 28 / 3.15" x 3.15" x 1.1" , 11.3oz 18000 mAh, USB C 45W, USB C 15W, Qi 7.5W, kickstand. Promised shipping: April 2019 https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...e-yet-powerful
  5. SuperTank & SuperPort 4 Kickstarter: SuperPort 4 is a 114 x 100 x 24 / 4.5" x 3.95" x .95" charger, weight not disclosed, USB C 100W, USB C 18W, two USB ports share 18W. SuperTank is a 27000 mAh battery w/ lots of features, 4.7" x 2.8" x 1.6", 17oz USB C 100W, USB C 60W, USB A 18W, USB A 15W all ports share 138W Promised shipping: May 2019 https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ek-recharge-in
  6. AlsterPlus Kickstarter: 7.4" x 3.28" x 0.85", 20oz / 568gr, 27000mAh battery with 2 x 100W USB-C + 2x 18W USB-A, lots of features. All ports share 156W.
  7. Anker Atom PD4. Two USB C, two USB A all share 100W, USB A per port is 12W max. 4.1" x 3.3" x 1.3", 13.5oz. https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Chargin.../dp/B07VSMK849
  8. MagicFox PD180. This is a DC-DC unit, it takes 12-28V 180W via a 5.5mm x 2.5mm jack or 100W max via USB- C input and provides three ports: USB C 100W, USB C 40W, USB A 40W. Size 3.15" x 2.76" x 0.53", 3.44oz. Possible interesting AC-DC choices: Lenovo 4X20Q88542 at 135W either from Encompass with very long ship times or from Japan via Rakuten, Lenovo-to-5.5mm plug adapter here. 4.65" x 3" x .83", 15.24oz. If that's not enough Razer has a 180W which, AFAIK has the right plug. Notably light at 14.82oz, 5.98" / 152mm x 2.87" / 73mm x 0.93" / 23.5mm. The MagicFox PD180 itself is, so far, China only, I had good experiences with Superbuy as proxy so https://www.superbuy.com/en/page/buy...832086035.html While the MagicFox PD180 itself is cheap, high wattage, quality, lightweight AC-DC adapters are anything but.
Getting multiple units from the small section can be more compact and versatile. It is expensive, though and requires plugging multiple devices. Recommended: power strip, wall tap, wall tap. Add USB A ports via slim chargers, Amazon list and https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016XO41KQ/

Cabling wise, AmazomBasics and Monoprice is your friend. Do not use female USB C to USB A / micro USB adapters, these are explicitly forbidden by the USB C standard. Male USB C to USB A / micro USB is fine.

Print Wikipost

Outfitting your travel kit for USB-C

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2023, 3:55 am

Originally Posted by nmenaker
Great summary and thanks for that!

To this last point though, i will say that some very reputable companies have put marketing speak/promoting that say a 27000mah battery will charge say an “iphone 13 NINE times”… it would seem then that they are taking the roughly ~3000mah battery in the iPhone, dividing by 27K, and getting 9.. which as you indicate above, thats just never ever going to happen not even factoring in overall circuitry and charging efficiency.
If that is the case, I would question that ‘reputable’ descriptor…

The iPhone 13 had a 3,224mAh battery; 27,000 / 3,224 = 8.4x, before inefficiencies. Oops.

Giving them the benefit of the doubt, perhaps they referenced the iPhone 13 family, the 13 mini specifically, so 27,000 /2,406 * 80% efficiency? Still shady.

Look at Anker’s 747 95Wh (25,600 mah) one for what to expect from this class:
iPhone 13: 5x
Galaxy S20: 4.3x
MBP 13 2020: 1.2x (if M1, that’s ~70Wh, meaning a claimed 75% efficiency at higher voltages thru the USB-C port… interesting.)

On a related note on USB-C power banks, my Nitecore NB-series gave up the ghost. Should be getting a replacement from them; Nitecore is one of those who really deserve the ‘reputable’ tag, given their single-cell business, so hopefully my old one was just a dud.

Last edited by crackjack; Feb 17, 2023 at 6:53 am
Old Feb 17, 2023, 11:00 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Originally Posted by mraju99
Just to provide some follow-up on my own question. I ended up buying this Baseus adapter:

https://www.amazon.com/Charger-Baseu...71&sr=1-3&th=1

I also picked up their nifty USB cable which displays the wattage being drawn on a little LED display:
https://www.amazon.com/Baseus-Chargi...st_sto_dp&th=1

This allowed me to actually see how many watts were being drawn by my laptop while doing various things.

Long story short, I've taken 3 flights (all on United) and the adapter worked perfectly. It allowed my laptop to reach about 80watt power draw without tripping the circuit breaker (which is way more than I usually need to do some work or watch a movie while the battery is charging). And if I plugged in both my phone and laptop, it reduced wattage to the laptop but still managed to power both of them without tripping, and gave the laptop enough juice to avoid drawing down the battery during use. It's also somewhat smaller than my original RAVPower block and also supports superfast charging (the latest charging standards) on my Samsung phone.

So all in all, I'm happy with the adapter, and it looks like it will work reliably with in-flight power ports.

The main downside is I'm not familiar with the company, and I didn't really see any reviews of the product outside of Amazon reviews. So I can't speak to its reliability as I've only had it for about a month. But so far, it seems to satisfy my requirements.
(Disclaimer: I have no relationship with the company. Just a satisfied customer :-)
I bought this same power supply/adapter. So far, so good!

With a small laptop, a MiFi Jetpack, an iPhone, and an Apple Watch Ultra all plugged in, the device did get very warm and my laptop displayed a "slow charger" notification.

The device either throttled itself due to the high temps, or it was pulling so much power that it warmed up significantly.
Old Feb 17, 2023, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by crackjack
If that is the case, I would question that ‘reputable’ descriptor…

The iPhone 13 had a 3,224mAh battery; 27,000 / 3,224 = 8.4x, before inefficiencies. Oops.

Giving them the benefit of the doubt, perhaps they referenced the iPhone 13 family, the 13 mini specifically, so 27,000 /2,406 * 80% efficiency? Still shady.

Look at Anker’s 747 95Wh (25,600 mah) one for what to expect from this class:
iPhone 13: 5x
Galaxy S20: 4.3x
MBP 13 2020: 1.2x (if M1, that’s ~70Wh, meaning a claimed 75% efficiency at higher voltages thru the USB-C port… interesting.)
I don't think the math works out like that...

So assume the power bank is rated at 27,000 (before wear and tear).... So * 0.8 = 21,600... that would be divided by 3,224 so approximately 6.7 times for an iphone. of course, that would also slowly go down based on the charging cycles (so at approximately 3 years) you're looking at 5.36 times (assuming the iphone doesn't lose capacity either)...
Old Feb 17, 2023, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
I don't think the math works out like that...

So assume the power bank is rated at 27,000 (before wear and tear).... So * 0.8 = 21,600... that would be divided by 3,224 so approximately 6.7 times for an iphone. of course, that would also slowly go down based on the charging cycles (so at approximately 3 years) you're looking at 5.36 times (assuming the iphone doesn't lose capacity either)...
Agreed. Just pointing out the ‘Nine times claim’ couldn’t even be achieved if they had 100% efficiency and were doing just the simple calculation.

As I noted earlier, true output efficiency can easily be below 80%; even the Anker I mentioned looks like it is in the 7x% range.
Old Feb 17, 2023, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by crackjack
Agreed. Just pointing out the ‘Nine times claim’ couldn’t even be achieved if they had 100% efficiency and were doing just the simple calculation.

As I noted earlier, true output efficiency can easily be below 80%; even the Anker I mentioned looks like it is in the 7x% range.
That's why I'm not a very good sales person.... at least in that way. A lot of marketing people want to shine the best light on their product, even if it's flexing the truth a tad much.
Old Feb 17, 2023, 8:25 pm

Tried one of these usb-c powered hubs, it does power delivery to the laptop, but apparently doesn't provide enough power to the usb-c ports to even drive two SSDs properly or something else made it not work well in my limited testing. I returned it.

Amazon Amazon

why doesn't anybody make a reasonably priced usb-c to usb-c hub that provides power to each port?

-David
Old Feb 17, 2023, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Tried one of these usb-c powered hubs, it does power delivery to the laptop, but apparently doesn't provide enough power to the usb-c ports to even drive two SSDs properly or something else made it not work well in my limited testing. I returned it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BND5487P

why doesn't anybody make a reasonably priced usb-c to usb-c hub that provides power to each port?
I would probably try some of the bigger name brands. The one in the link above is one of those chinese copycats. I found this in the
Canadian Amazon Canadian Amazon
Old Feb 18, 2023, 4:35 am

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BND5487P

-David
My guess is the reason is that a hub just doesn’t have the power available.

There is ~15W being set aside just for the hub itself; even if one uses a 100W USB-C charging adapter, that’s ~85W remaining (and a 60W charger can be used too, 45W available). Then the laptop will take a good chunk out of that. After that, the maybe 4 peripherals plugged in all have to compete for the 20-40W left.

Hubs are also meant to be portable, so not as sturdy / robust, in build or design as docking stations (and therefore also lower cost). Perhaps diverting the majority of the power to the host device is the cheapest solution.
(Though, to be clear, the USB-A and USB-C ports must still supply some level of power - flash drives, drives, speakers, etc all require some power if no other supply / battery.)

A USB-C docking station, on the other hand, will normally* have a much larger AC/DC adapter (e.g. Anker’s are 180W) giving more headroom for the ports, and probably more circuitry internally too. Maybe the advent of USB PD EPR / 240W might change that? (But then, you’d have to limit the power to the laptop to divert some to the ports.)

(*I see that Plugable does have some docks with 100W power bricks, but they make no claims on USB port power except the 60W to the laptop. Anker also has this one with 100W adapter, 60W to laptop, 20W to 2nd port, claims to charge ‘small devices’ on USB-A, $120: https://www.anker.com/products/a8394)

On price: if the competition could build docking stations to a lower price than currently seen, I expect they would have…

Last edited by crackjack; Feb 18, 2023 at 1:54 pm
Old Feb 18, 2023, 8:23 pm

Maybe I'll have better luck with the Caldigit Soho dock than I did with their Element Hub.
Amazon Amazon

Meanwhile I'm going to give the Anker 565 a try, but I have a question into Anker support about how much power is provided to the 2 USB 3.2 ports (one c and one a).
Amazon Amazon

As an aside, I wonder if all these hubs that support 100W input and 85W PD to the host are all using the same chipset?

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Feb 18, 2023 at 8:49 pm
Old Feb 21, 2023, 2:57 am

In case anyone is looking for a USB-C-only multi-device charger, this Satechi one seems to have done well in testing (at least that specific unit):
(AllThingsOnePlace is doing a good job on the charger testing. Very thorough and well thought out. Does seem to be stuck on the fact that most/all 60W chargers do not have PFC tho…)
KRSW likes this.

Last edited by crackjack; Feb 21, 2023 at 3:03 am
Old Feb 21, 2023, 6:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold
I ended up buying too many power banks! Here's the two that I currently have in my possession (the RAVPower PD Pioneer 60W 20,000mAh is being sent back).

Will probably keep the Anker and sell the Baseus to my friend, I'll let you guys know how it goes on my trip.

Baseus Blade 100W 20k vs Anker 737 PowerCore 24k (Anker 533 Powercore III 10K for scale comparison)

Top down view - banana for scale

Side view - the Anker is narrower than either but more than twice as tall.

Powercore 10K weight

Baseus Blade weight

Anker 737 weight

PBR to Banana scale
pseudoswede, YYZC2, Xyzzy and 3 others like this.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 8:52 pm

Meanwhile I'm going to give the Anker 565 a try, but I have a question into Anker support about how much power is provided to the 2 USB 3.2 ports (one c and one a).
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09Q5V9G5P
It arrived today, and with the caveat that I had to reboot and remove the SSD from time machine and added it back and it seems to be working with 1 SSD attached to the usb-c port. I'm not trying 2 drives. The reason for removing it, and adding it back was that when I first unmounted and connected everything back, time machine hung on connecting to the disk. So I had to force a reboot, then unmounted the time machine drive, checked it, mounted it and no problems yet other than that.

I wrote to Anker support and they gave me a simplistic answer and said 7.5W to each of the USB 3.2 gen 2 ports. But that leaves nothing for the rest of the device, so I guess they meant "up to". I didn't really press them on it. I decided that by using the hub for power delivery and one external SSD, that frees up one usb-c port I need so I don't need to swap drives in and out anymore when I'm home.

-David
crackjack likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by roastpuff
Will probably keep the Anker and sell the Baseus to my friend, I'll let you guys know how it goes on my trip.
What reasons are you using for keeping the Anker versus the Baesus?
Old Feb 22, 2023, 11:44 am

Programs: Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
What reasons are you using for keeping the Anker versus the Baesus?
Power, shape and size, basically. The flat plate style is less packable (my opinion) and the extra 4k mAh and wattage headroom is a little more reassuring for me when I use it to power my travel CPAP
pseudoswede likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2023, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by frappant
What are people using for multi port chargers for use around the home?
I'm still using Ankers.. I have the
10-Port charger 10-Port charger
at my desk, and the
6-Port charger 6-Port charger
on the counter between the kitchen & living room. Even when charging multiple 26,800mAh batteries, the 10-Port stays nice & cool. I did have problems with Anker's 5-port chargers dying after a year or so, but Anker replaced them and the replacements held.

I've accumulated multiple 10-Port & 6-Port chargers over the years, which came in handy after the hurricane. So many people needed to charge phones and so few outlets. These easily handled that.

Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
Does anyone get USB-A to USB-C cables or just USB-C to USB-C cables now?
I'm still mostly USB-A to USB-C. 90% of the time I'm using USB to charge devices. Other than a laptop's higher current needs, I don't see the benefit of going USB-C to USB-C. I don't want to fast charge my phone or any other device with a sealed battery; I prefer not to cook my batteries. My
favorite USB cables favorite USB cables
still aren't made in C-C, only A-micro and A-C. I've only come across one rental car (Mercedes E) which only had USB-C ports in it.

Last edited by KRSW; Feb 23, 2023 at 7:42 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.