Reload this Page >

Finding an iPhone 6S with iOS 9.3 or lower on it

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finding an iPhone 6S with iOS 9.3 or lower on it

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2017, 12:58 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
That would assume that I open unsafe files, no? Or is there some other transmission mechanism.

Yes, I've assumed some risk here, but the usability increase from certain Cydia apps for things I want/need to do is exponentially greater than the stock iOS.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 8:53 am

Programs: (PM)AA SPG (Marriott), Hilton
Originally Posted by CPRich
Instead, you could be hit by the current wave of ransomware cyberattacks, rather than being protected by a patch that was released in an update 3 months ago.
I think the issues you refer to are hitting desktops not phones.

If you get hit with malware or a broken vendor 'upgrade' your device is unusable. Search the web for "iphone bricked after upgrade" and there's a plethora of results. It's not restricted to phones. Desktop/Laptop computers have suffered post-upgrade-doorstop syndrome. It's infrequent, but if it's you it's once too often.

A patch that was released 3 months ago can be applied manually, at a time of your choosing, with a lower risk footprint than automatic updates. With automatic updates you don't know if that patch 3 months ago was successfully applied or not.

Patch/upgrade: Yes. Automatically? You take your chances and sooner or later you get burned. Only depend on patches/upgrades? No. More is needed, including OP's not opening 'unsafe' documents.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

woot.com has refurb iPhone 6s today. Maybe they have an old iOS.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 7:57 am

I think eBay is going to be your best bet here - not much chance of an old iOS in shops.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 10:12 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
I think you're right.

And all the ones I've found through Craigslist either a) the owner doesn't have any idea how to check for their current iOS version, or b) it's the latest version because they have auto-updates turned on (something I'll never understand).

And the Woot one is a decent deal, but too pig-in-a-poke for me, especially when the screen could have significant scratches. But thank you for looking out for me

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.