Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Screen Protectors? Do We Still Need Them?

Old Aug 6, 17, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.

I just got a new phone, back to IOS because my crap droid was driving me nuts.

I'm getting a case for it, grudgingly, as I generally don't like phone cases. But fine, it's a $700 wasted if it breaks or something.

But do we still need screen protectors? I feel like the glass has gotten so good, you'd almost have to hit it with a hammer to break it. I'm frankly more worried about the camera lens getting knicked, seeing as it protrudes from the back of the phone...

Anyway, they're cheap, so it's not a cost thing, but do people still buy those peel-on plastic screen protectors?

:-: :-: :-:
Old Aug 6, 17, 4:04 pm

Nope. Waste of money IMO. If you're going to buy one spend the money and get a glass one and even those are a waste, again IMO.
Old Aug 6, 17, 6:00 pm

Tempered glass protectors are popular. The primary reason I use one is to protect the screen from scratches. If the protector gets scratched you just replace it.^
Old Aug 6, 17, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum
I use one to keep scratches at a minimum. There's a tempered glass one that I'll buy, as well as I'm partial to Spigen Crystal screen protectors. Displays have become more impact resistant than in the past, but that has come at the expense of scratch resistance. Until sapphire displays become more widely available, this will be the case.
Old Aug 6, 17, 8:43 pm

I think the "gorilla glass" protection is always a good thing to do, specially with expensive phones.
Old Aug 6, 17, 10:05 pm

Programs: DL Kettle| HH Pot
Yes. Tempered glass protector is the way to go as many have said. They're cheap insurance in case you have something in your pocket or bag that can scratch your phone. I scratched my phone screen within two weeks of having it... I even had the covers, just hadn't put them on yet.
Old Aug 7, 17, 7:53 am

I think the problem with today's screen damage is different than the day of palm pilots. Back then a sharper fingernail could scratch the screen; now you could use the screen to file your nails. Now the damage is more about cracking. I don't think a plastic one will help in any way against it, but I have seen phones with tempered glass screen protector where the glass protector cracked but not the screen. It is probably because the protector cracks easier, and even without the protector, the phone screen would not have cracked. But it does make you feel better for having the protector on!

Having a case is more important though. My nieces and nephews who do not like to have cases have cracked screens... all of them. They put their phones in the back pockets of their skinny jeans and sit on them.. it is like a torture test for phones.
Old Aug 7, 17, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Silver, Hilton Silver
I've dropped my phone many times, and only the tempered glass screen protector has cracked
Old Aug 7, 17, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I don't use them anymore on my iPhones. I just have a rubber case to protect against dropping it. I don't put other things in the same pocket which may scratch the screen, like keys or coins. Both phones are approaching 2 years old with no noticeable scratches - not even minor ones. If worst comes to worst, Apple will replace a screen for $129-149.

Last edited by javabytes; Aug 7, 17 at 1:29 pm
Old Aug 7, 17, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT 1MM
I've managed to scratch every screen I've not had a protector on (although I tend to buy less expensive phones, even my Nexus 6 managed to get scratched.)

Also, I prefer a non-glossy screen. Basic plastic anti-glare protectors are super-cheap (3-5 for $6-8), and protect from scratches, at the expense of picking them up like crazy themselves. It's not a big inconvenience to swap them every couple of months.
Old Aug 7, 17, 12:32 pm

Programs: *G
for the few last generations of phones ive had i dont bother and ive never scratched my screen to noticeable detrimental effect
Old Aug 7, 17, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by javabytes View Post
I don't use them anymore on my iPhones. I just have a rubber case to protect against dropping it. I don't put other things in the same pocket which may scratch the screen, like keys or coins. Both phones are approaching 2 years old with no noticeable scratches - not even minor ones. If worst comes to worst, Apple will replace a screen for $129-149.
This. I drop my 6S way more often than I probably should and other than scratching up the case, no damage.

(This is the model case that I use, just with a color that's apparently no longer offered.)
Old Aug 9, 17, 5:03 pm

Programs: DL GM MM SC; GE; Marriott Titanium; IHG Spire
I just switched from Android to my first iPhone and got a case and a tempered glass screen protector. I figure, better safe than sorry.
Old Aug 9, 17, 6:33 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Sad to admit owner of an iPhone since 4s days, latest iPhone7+ just a silicon case, no protector. My kids and SO all iPhoners and we also have dispensed with any screen protection.

I see many with naked iPhones and marvel at really how beautifully thin they are, but cringe at the thought if they are dropped.

I've dropped my silicon covered phone many a time, protection will give your phone cat lives.
Old Aug 10, 17, 8:23 am

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by tmiw View Post
This. I drop my 6S way more often than I probably should and other than scratching up the case, no damage.

(This is the model case that I use, just with a color that's apparently no longer offered.)
Is that phone case have the rubber sides for a good grip? That's what i'm looking for if it does. However, you say you drop the phone often. Does that mean it's not good for someone like me who needs one with a grip?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: