Pokefi MiFi Device

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 15, 2019, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IBJoel
What is PokeFi?
Pokefi is a type of "MiFi" (or mobile WiFi network) device.

What is the cost of using PokeFi?
The price is of the device ranges from US$125-200, depending on where it is bought and then costs US$3/day or US$3/GB for data.

Where can I use PokeFi?
It is compatible in 60 countries

Expert Advice: Beware inconsistency of connection speeds and battery life

What are some alternative options?
Competitors include GlocalMe and Skyroam. Substituting SIM cards in a phone is another method.

Of note:
  1. It does get warm for long usuage. So try to give good air circulation from time to time while using it.
  2. It doesn't charge well when it is in use. Turn the connection off before charging. Otherwise it may take forever to charge.
  3. Try to turn it on and establish internet connection while you are stationary. I once drive from Ottawa to Toronto and my wife turned it on while the car was in motion. It never established a connection for the whole trip. But if the connection was negotiated before I drive, it was good for the whole trip.
Print Wikipost

Pokefi MiFi Device

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2018, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by username
Wow, the rate is pretty decent - even for use in Canada. I wonder what their competitors are and how can they do this? Any danger of them going out of business? Sounds like best place to buy is at HKG airport?
Bought this in April, 2018. Use it in Ottawa area. Initial experience was not impressive. Took too long to establish connection; five plus minutes at times. Often 3G connection only. Yesterday, we had a tornado touch down in the region and significant part of the city was out of power. This device all of sudden came alive. Speed was decent, connection was fast. Since my home internet is still down, I rely on this device for the last 24 hours.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 8:46 pm

Pokefi

My device pokefi it is working in brazil area
Old Oct 2, 2018, 8:55 pm

Pokefi

It is working in brazil area?
Old Oct 3, 2018, 9:12 pm

Disappointing

I cannot in good conscience recommend Pokefi. Bought it in June. Used it in Toronto and Montreal where it hardly worked half the time. Connection speed was subpar and intermittent. It was as if their North American partner was assigning their users to a sub tier of service. Used it in Torino where it was okay, but Milan and Cannes were unreliable. The unit would shut off on its own as well probably due to overhearing. Latency was hit or miss. Very erratic performance and dismal to unimpressive speeds.

The only place where it worked quite well in my opinion was in Doha probably under the Ooredoo network.

I just came from Macau and once again, unreliable and intermittent service. Every time I’ve tried to make the most of this investment, it has just continued to frustrate. I am now in Hong Kong where it registers less than 1 mbps up and down performance. At least the connection is consistent even if slow. I now regard this as a wasted expense. Signing up with my home carrier’s roaming promotions is a far better choice in terms of not wasting time and getting frustrated over Pokefi’s dependability (or lack of).
Old Oct 7, 2018, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by prmetime
Any datapoints on connecting in the Caribbean? Not listed in the company's official list, but hoping!
DP - Able to use in Charlotte Amalie USVI. Good strong signal. Unable to connect in any of the other Caribbean ports visited.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 8:09 am

Thanks for all the posts on this thread, it’s been very useful.

Here is my experience with pokefi:

Bought the unit inflight on the way to HK on a Cathay flight. It didn’t work when I tested it in the airport just after buying it, and Cathay’s ground staff couldn’t help. The unit showed a solid red the whole time. Since I was transitting to Seoul, I tried the cabin crew on the next flight, but they wouldn’t exchange it either. I also emailed Cathay but no reply from the after service department, even after several emails, so be aware the Cathay won’t be of much help if you buy it inflight.

Arrived in Seoul and the unit was now blinking red but never turned green. Contacted pokefi via fb messenger and after 5-6 days of back and forth they finally sent me a FedEx label to send the unit back. 5 days later I received a new pokefi which so far works here in Seoul.

Observations so far: The unit works best when you turn it on, wait for it to go green and just leave it on. The first day, I turned it off to save battery life, but turning it on again in rush hour in the middle of Seoul turned out to be a bad idea, as it would never go green again.

It seems (to me at least) that once you have a “slot” on the network it goes green and that it’s harder to get that in areas with lots of other people using the network at the same time. Which is, ironically, exactly where you need it, while traveling in touristy places.

My current top up SIM in Korea is only 3G and is around $16 for 1GB (many foreigners use these cards as they then don’t have to sign 2 year contracts), so pokefi actually works out to be 5 times cheaper (at $15 for 5GB) plus it’s 4G so much faster. The disadvantage is of course that you have to charge and carry the unit around with you.

The coverage in Seoul has been good so far, even underground and in the subway. I’ll keep testing it and I’m excited to bring it traveling next time I go.

I also found a neoprene sleeve for the unit on eBay for around $1.15. It seems that a neoprene sleeve for the Samsung Galaxy Core Prime fits the pokefi perfectly. I’ll test it once I get it but you can find it on eBay by searching for “Samsung Galaxy Core Prime neoprene”.

Overall, my impressions are positive so far, but I was a bit shocked that such an expensive item doesn’t have better quality control, since the first unit didn’t work at all out of the box. Customer service was decent though, once they finally sent the FedEx label to return the unit.

I’ll update this as I test it more and when I take it to other countries.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 8:51 am

Programs: CX MPC
Originally Posted by yagedk
My current top up SIM in Korea is only 3G and is around $16 for 1GB (many foreigners use these cards as they then don’t have to sign 2 year contracts), so pokefi actually works out to be 5 times cheaper (at $15 for 5GB) plus it’s 4G so much faster. The disadvantage is of course that you have to charge and carry the unit around with you.
The rates for Pokefi seem to compare well even with local SIM card rates in many countries. My local SIM card for the UK costs £15 (about US$20) for a 4GB data pack, so Pokefi's 5GB for US$15 is certainly good value for money. Of course that's no use at all if you have an unreliable unit, and from reports here it does seem like Pokefi have some quality assurance problems.

Pokefi's main competitor, Skyroam Solis, has coverage in far more countries, but their rates are so much higher (US$9 for just 1GB). I get the impression Skyroam are being more successful at marketing than Pokefi and I just hope Pokefi are able to survive a while longer or else we'll all be left with units we can't use if they go out of business.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 6:23 am

Thumbs up Pokefi in US and Germany

Tried pokefi in Los Angeles for a few days In early October. Works well and connects within a few minutes. Averages out around 5-7mb downstream.
Also used Pokefi in Munich, Germany in late October. Conected via Vodafone. Averages around 10mb downstream. No connection issues and works well inside the building without any problem. No complaints about the service so far.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 1:51 am

Originally Posted by Patompong Up
Hi, We are Authorised dealer for pokefi in Thailand we got Pokefi,Charger, Extra battery to serve you with our warrantee 2 years from Smartgo Hongkong buy from us is most is lowest price in the world only 147 USD (exclude Shipping fee) if you feel free to contact us when you are in Thailand we ready to serve you.
Maybe that's the lowest price in Thailand.

I paid HKD 990 for mine in Hong Kong (around USD 126)
Old Nov 4, 2018, 8:19 pm

FWIW I originally paid 990 at HKIA but picked up a second unit a couple months ago and it was up to 1190.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by Coolers
FWIW I originally paid 990 at HKIA but picked up a second unit a couple months ago and it was up to 1190.

Cathay Pacific still sell it for HKD 990

https://www.cathaypacific.com/dutyfr...ctCode=SGG402E

And Philippine Airlines have it for PHP 6,229.35 (USD 117)

https://boutique.philippineairlines....oduct-173533_m
Old Nov 26, 2018, 12:30 am

I used it in Canada Oct 17 to Nov 7. No problems.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 8:38 am

Yes I live in the Vancouver area and have used it on multiple occasions without an issue.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 10:10 am
formerly ltabi

Programs: AA PLT, Hyatt Explorist
Hi everyone,

Has anyone ever needed a password reset? I completely forgot the password for my pokefi and I have sent an email requesting the password reset. Does anyone know long it takes for them to get back to me?

Thanks!
Lisa
Old Dec 10, 2018, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by traveling_newbie
Hi everyone,

Has anyone ever needed a password reset? I completely forgot the password for my pokefi and I have sent an email requesting the password reset. Does anyone know long it takes for them to get back to me?

Thanks!
Lisa
I did - and in the middle of a trip. I just reverted back to the password on the box the pokefi was in and it worked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.