Pokefi MiFi Device

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 15, 2019, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IBJoel
What is PokeFi?
Pokefi is a type of "MiFi" (or mobile WiFi network) device.

What is the cost of using PokeFi?
The price is of the device ranges from US$125-200, depending on where it is bought and then costs US$3/day or US$3/GB for data.

Where can I use PokeFi?
It is compatible in 60 countries

Expert Advice: Beware inconsistency of connection speeds and battery life

What are some alternative options?
Competitors include GlocalMe and Skyroam. Substituting SIM cards in a phone is another method.

Of note:
  1. It does get warm for long usuage. So try to give good air circulation from time to time while using it.
  2. It doesn't charge well when it is in use. Turn the connection off before charging. Otherwise it may take forever to charge.
  3. Try to turn it on and establish internet connection while you are stationary. I once drive from Ottawa to Toronto and my wife turned it on while the car was in motion. It never established a connection for the whole trip. But if the connection was negotiated before I drive, it was good for the whole trip.
Print Wikipost

Pokefi MiFi Device

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2017, 2:11 am

Programs: CX MPC
Originally Posted by tentseller
It is $990HK at the shop in HKIA.
Where in HKIA is the shop located, and do you remember it's name? I'm passing through HK tomorrow and would like to pick one up.

I've tried buying it on the CX online duty free shop for my HKG-LGW-HKG flights but it always says "We regret that the service is not available on this flight."
Old Oct 25, 2017, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Sound and Vision, Landside in T1 and T2 as well as airside. They sell all the electronics.

Google the HKIA layout map
Old Oct 26, 2017, 7:21 am

Sound and Vision, Landside in T1 and T2 as well as airside. They sell all the electronics.

Google the HKIA layout map
Thanks for that.

Unfortunately, all of the Sound & Vision outlets at HKIA were out of stock of the device this evening and don't know when they'll get more in. "Maybe next month", they say.

Surprisingly, there were two other people in the shop at the same time as me trying to buy the Pokefi, so it clearly is very much in demand.

I'll try again next time I pass through HK, or will see if it becomes available on a CX flight.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 10:35 am

Just found this thread. Thanks for the information. I'm curious as to how long the battery takes to charge and the voltage specifications (i.e. 110-240V)? Thanks.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by prmetime
Just found this thread. Thanks for the information. I'm curious as to how long the battery takes to charge and the voltage specifications (i.e. 110-240V)? Thanks.
Never had to charge battery from dead state.

Input is USB for charging.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 7:30 am

Never had to charge battery from dead state.

Input is USB for charging.
Thanks. Since some electronics do not allow you to charge both 110/240V, wanted to make sure the base unit allows for this.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks. Since some electronics do not allow you to charge both 110/240V, wanted to make sure the base unit allows for this.
Most if not all AC to USB adapter chargers are 100-240V input-capable now.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Pokefi in China

Just a note since beginning of November, I was unable to connect to all Google services and WhatsApp directly where I was able to before.
I have VPN service on all my devices and needed to use that on top of the Pokefi connection.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 6:23 am

Most if not all AC to USB adapter chargers are 100-240V input-capable now.
You are correct although I have encountered the odd device which is not. I just wanted to ensure this device was or else it would be useless to me. Thanks for your response.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 11:50 am

Pokefi online order

i bought mine on 28Mall.com online mall and they deliver worldwide

Have successfully used this in Philippines, London, Sheffield, Paris
~ must bring power bank to charge device cos it can't last 8 hours of continuous use

Recommended for travellers
Old Nov 9, 2017, 5:22 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond
You are correct although I have encountered the odd device which is not. I just wanted to ensure this device was or else it would be useless to me. Thanks for your response.
you can use ANY usb charger for this....so its completely up to you.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 3:43 am

Pokefi is back in stock at Sound & Vision in HKIA. The guy was just opening a new box of them when I went in at 8am yesterday. He only had a few there and a said he expected they would sell fast.

I picked one up for HK$990. I haven't don't much testing with it yet, but so far looks good.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by Chris Blunt
Pokefi is back in stock at Sound & Vision in HKIA. The guy was just opening a new box of them when I went in at 8am yesterday. He only had a few there and a said he expected they would sell fast.

I picked one up for HK$990. I haven't don't much testing with it yet, but so far looks good.
I'd be happy to buy one at that price. It's cheap than online, which has it as $1300, even including the AE fare.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DragonSoul
I'd be happy to buy one at that price. It's cheap than online, which has it as $1300, even including the AE fare.
Same day return trip on AEx is free on your Octapus
Old Nov 13, 2017, 12:02 am

Same day return trip on AEx is free on your Octapus
Yep, however it sounds like it's a game of chance as to whether S&V have stock.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.