Pokefi MiFi Device

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 15, 2019, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IBJoel
What is PokeFi?
Pokefi is a type of "MiFi" (or mobile WiFi network) device.

What is the cost of using PokeFi?
The price is of the device ranges from US$125-200, depending on where it is bought and then costs US$3/day or US$3/GB for data.

Where can I use PokeFi?
It is compatible in 60 countries

Expert Advice: Beware inconsistency of connection speeds and battery life

What are some alternative options?
Competitors include GlocalMe and Skyroam. Substituting SIM cards in a phone is another method.

Of note:
  1. It does get warm for long usuage. So try to give good air circulation from time to time while using it.
  2. It doesn't charge well when it is in use. Turn the connection off before charging. Otherwise it may take forever to charge.
  3. Try to turn it on and establish internet connection while you are stationary. I once drive from Ottawa to Toronto and my wife turned it on while the car was in motion. It never established a connection for the whole trip. But if the connection was negotiated before I drive, it was good for the whole trip.
Print Wikipost

Pokefi MiFi Device

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2018, 1:21 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond
Originally Posted by prmetime
Just curious is this experience for one particular island, or all the islands?

I'm on Oahu havent tested on other islands So I just tested it now in Mililani area and its MUCH improved this time. it was useless when i tried it 6 months ago, but today i needed to load it up with some data for a friend whos borrowing it. its pretty snappy now. So I guess YMMV with the device depending on what roaming agreements they have as well as what network the device connects to.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
On that note, any thoughts on using this in Mexico? This seems like the least expensive per GB option compared to a SIM from any of the major carriers but the site currently says it's in "testing" there.
who is your current cell phone Carrier? ATT has free roaming in mexico up to 1GB per line per month. you have to call and add it on before you go tho. I had to ask for it specifically
Old Mar 28, 2018, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by cboy
who is your current cell phone Carrier? ATT has free roaming in mexico up to 1GB per line per month. you have to call and add it on before you go tho. I had to ask for it specifically
T-Mobile. I heard they have limits on roaming at LTE speeds now, however, and I would need to have multiple people sharing the data connection.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by cboy
I'm on Oahu havent tested on other islands So I just tested it now in Mililani area and its MUCH improved this time. it was useless when i tried it 6 months ago, but today i needed to load it up with some data for a friend whos borrowing it. its pretty snappy now. So I guess YMMV with the device depending on what roaming agreements they have as well as what network the device connects to.
Thanks for the update!
Old Mar 31, 2018, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by FastSRT8
Used it in HK, Japan and Vancouver BC and it works really well for me.

Not sure why others were having issues with the device.

I was able to connect and use my phone to make and receive calls on VIber and Skype.

Highly recommend it.

Have not tried yet in the US but will the first chance I get.
Have used it for two weeks in Chicago and NY. no problems, reliable signal although understandably it loses signal in underground car parks etc - but reconnects once you resurface.
Old May 6, 2018, 4:36 pm

I'm traveling soon to Venice, Dubrovnik and Greece. Anyone have any datapoints regard using this device in these areas?
Old May 6, 2018, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by prmetime
I'm traveling soon to Venice, Dubrovnik and Greece. Anyone have any datapoints regard using this device in these areas?
Venice and Santorini had service.
prmetime likes this.
Old May 6, 2018, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by tentseller
That's great! Thank you.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 9:32 pm

I'm traveling soon to Serbia. Anyone successfully connected this device there?
Old Jun 6, 2018, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow, the rate is pretty decent - even for use in Canada. I wonder what their competitors are and how can they do this? Any danger of them going out of business? Sounds like best place to buy is at HKG airport?
Old Jun 12, 2018, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by username
Wow, the rate is pretty decent - even for use in Canada. I wonder what their competitors are and how can they do this? Any danger of them going out of business? Sounds like best place to buy is at HKG airport?
I ordered mine from their website. you can chance trying to pick one up at HKG but people have said they are out of stock lots of times.

I'm about to order a 2nd one as a gift for my brother who has recently started traveling internationally.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by tentseller
Just returned from my Eastern Med cruise and happy to report this device worked not only while in port in Venice, Dubrovnik, Mykonos, Athens, Santorini and Olympia, but also while at sea if land (and civilization) visible. I can't say enough about the device.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 10:23 pm

Any datapoints on connecting in the Caribbean? Not listed in the company's official list, but hoping!
Old Jul 25, 2018, 2:58 am

Anyone have experience with this in Indonesia (Jakarta and Bali) or Qatar?
Old Aug 27, 2018, 1:44 am

POKEFI nearly unusable in Seoul (Merged with master thread)

I've been using POKEFI for quite some time, been to some remote town in SE Asia and works fine. Currently in Seoul with this device and finding it nearly unusable! Checked my device, strong 4G signal, battery charged, unlimited data plan. Intermittent internet connection (connection is out 80% of the time.) Couldn't even load Goolgle Map, Kakao Map, or Naver map. It is so frustrating. I got to go to a coffee ship and find some free wifi to use each time. Not really sure what is wrong, would appreciate any advice.

Travelers beware.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.