Pokefi MiFi Device

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 15, 2019, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IBJoel
What is PokeFi?
Pokefi is a type of "MiFi" (or mobile WiFi network) device.

What is the cost of using PokeFi?
The price is of the device ranges from US$125-200, depending on where it is bought and then costs US$3/day or US$3/GB for data.

Where can I use PokeFi?
It is compatible in 60 countries

Expert Advice: Beware inconsistency of connection speeds and battery life

What are some alternative options?
Competitors include GlocalMe and Skyroam. Substituting SIM cards in a phone is another method.

Of note:
  1. It does get warm for long usuage. So try to give good air circulation from time to time while using it.
  2. It doesn't charge well when it is in use. Turn the connection off before charging. Otherwise it may take forever to charge.
  3. Try to turn it on and establish internet connection while you are stationary. I once drive from Ottawa to Toronto and my wife turned it on while the car was in motion. It never established a connection for the whole trip. But if the connection was negotiated before I drive, it was good for the whole trip.
Print Wikipost

Pokefi MiFi Device

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2019, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by cboy
I love my PokeFi.

I've now used it in

Japan-Tokyo, Osaka, Fukuoka
Hong Kong
South Korea-Seoul
France-Paris
Belgium-Brussels and Bruges
Netherlands-Amsterdam
Germany-Berlin
Greece-Athens
Singapore
Canada-Vancouver, Toronto
England-London
Spain-Madrid, Barcelona
Taiwan, Taipei
Indonesia, Bali

I just bought a second one as a gift for a relative who has been borrowing mine
My pokefi also works well in the following locations as well:

US - Los Angeles
Germany - Munich
Australia - Cairns, Melbourne & Sydney
Old Aug 24, 2019, 7:13 pm

Programs: TP Gold, *G Star Alliance
Anyone was able to recently buy a Pokefi in a Cathay flight? I’m flying LHR-HKG F.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 11:37 pm
RF9

I picked up a pokefi on a Cathay Pacific flight in Dec 2019 and my coworker also got one on our CX flight just before that. The planes usually carry 1 in stock. Unfortunately I got it on my return trip home and haven't used it overseas yet.
The flight attendant said "I have this one, and it's pretty good."
My coworker just came back from Vietnam and said it worked on Vietnamobile. It doesn't use Viettel which is the one with the most coverage there but Vietnamobile has pretty good coverage unless you go out to the boonies.
He also said that sometimes it can take up to 10 minutes to get connected, but once connected it worked pretty reliably.
He also said it's not fast, but it work and he was always able to use date from his phone for getting grab rideshares, messaging, web, etc.

My next trips will be China and Vietnam and I look forward to trying it out.
The appeal is that the data is cheap and doesn't expire. I don't like paying for day passes. Their neither cost effective for casual use and have "fair use" caps that make them not very useful for real work. Paying for 5GB of data for a week for example is a lot better for me if it's affordable.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by linben
My pokefi also works well in the following locations as well:

US - Los Angeles
Germany - Munich
Australia - Cairns, Melbourne & Sydney
Thailand

Last edited by linben; Jan 29, 2020 at 11:23 am Reason: clarifications
Old Mar 3, 2020, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by cboy
I love my PokeFi.

I've now used it in

Japan - Tokyo, Osaka, Fukuoka, Kobe, Kyoto, Hokkaido
Hong Kong, Macau
South Korea - Seoul
France - Paris
Belgium - Brussels and Bruges
Netherlands - Amsterdam
Germany - Berlin
Greece - Athens
Singapore
Canada - Vancouver, Toronto
England - London
Spain - Madrid, Barcelona, Toledo, Segovia, Girona
Taiwan - Taipei
Indonesia - Bali
New Zealand - Auckland, Waikato, Rotoura

I just bought a second one as a gift for a relative who has been borrowing mine

Wondering what the performance was like in Canada. I’m getting 0.05 Mbps connected to the Bell network. Compare to my cellular plan on the same network and location which is 45 Mbps. The speed is terrible, barely enough for text message. Haven’t seen this speed in 20 years.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by Speedy999
Wondering what the performance was like in Canada. I’m getting 0.05 Mbps connected to the Bell network. Compare to my cellular plan on the same network and location which is 45 Mbps. The speed is terrible, barely enough for text message. Haven’t seen this speed in 20 years.
Given the vast size of Canada, you might want to add a specific location to your DP.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by prmetime
Given the vast size of Canada, you might want to add a specific location to your DP.
I was in Victoria but was interested in cboy’s experience in Vancouver and Toronto.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.