Reload this Page >

2017: USB Travel Chargers and Power Supplies Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 26, 2017, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: chx1975
Anker is a stable, reliable brand. They have a 6 port charger, a 5 port with QuickCharge 3.0 support, a 5 port with USB C support, a 2 port with both USB and QC 3.0. Their powerbanks are also popular with similar selection: there's a plain two port one, one with QC, one with USB-C.

Power bank wise, there's a RAVPower 20100 mAh power bank (RP-PB043) which can charge USB-C and QC 3.0 devices both and in turn can be charged by either.

Another important device is the MOGICS Bagel/Donut: two ports USB charger, plug shape converter and power strip, the Bagel universal, the Donut US only. Best all around electronics companion ATM.
Print Wikipost

2017: USB Travel Chargers and Power Supplies Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2017, 4:39 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by KRSW
Check your laptop's settings... Lenovo Thinkpads and I believe some Dells willl send out power on a single USB port while they're plugged in to the wall, even if they're turned off or sleeping.
Hmm, I didn't think my newer model had that, but upon further review, they just made the power logo smaller.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 6:03 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Now there's a very compact 10 port charger. Surely only useful if you travel with a family of four, otherwise what the hell are you carrying to need ten ports ?
Old Mar 8, 2017, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chx1975
Now there's a very compact 10 port charger. Surely only useful if you travel with a family of four, otherwise what the hell are you carrying to need ten ports ?
and it's only 60W, while a full 12W per port would be 120W.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 8:33 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, PC Plat, Hilton Gold
I received my Anker PowerCore+ wall charger today (along with the USB-C to USB-C cables I mentioned earlier); charged my Dell XPS 13 9350 no problem at 20V/2A (just a hair under what the OEM charger is spec'd at 20V/2.25A) so I'm happy with this performance. One less wall charger/cable to carry with the Dell OEM able to stay home now; the remaining USB-A ports on the PowerCore+ will work well for my iPhone and Watch, and maybe a USB battery pack.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 9:16 pm

Does anyone have a recommendation for a compact powerbank with QC 2.0?
Old Mar 9, 2017, 6:18 pm

Did I stutter? It's right in the wiki. If you want compact, that's perhaps the Anker PowerCore 10000 with Quick Charge 3.0.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 7:41 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Cool

Did I stutter? It's right in the wiki. If you want compact, that's perhaps the Anker PowerCore 10000 with Quick Charge 3.0.
In case an actual link is necessary: https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerCo.../dp/B01CZV9FUW.

I have the non-QC version of this power bank (also if necessary, that link). The form factor for both units is extremely small, and the version I have is about 60% of the price of the QC version. One USB connection, but when you're looking for a small power bank, you can't be looking for too many ports. I use it as an auxiliary power supply for a small hybrid laptop/tablet. The computer and the power bank fit in an extremely small space and given my limited needs, help me carry everything I need, electronics and clothing, on the vast majority of trips in one bag. It also allows me to work continuously on my laptop on all but the longest TATL flights without losing power.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 7:43 pm

No you did not. My apologies for not being clearer. I was seeing if there's been something newer than that one, since its over a year old. And perhaps in a lipstick design. But thanks trying to help! ^
Old Mar 10, 2017, 8:02 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Boostedtaco
No you did not. My apologies for not being clearer. I was seeing if there's been something newer than that one, since its over a year old. And perhaps in a lipstick design. But thanks trying to help! ^
I think the problem here is the size of the individual batteries required to make the battery packs. Lipstick style packs still need two batteries to get just above 5000 maH. A 10K unit still needs almost four. The leap will undoubtedly come, but not quite yet.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 12:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
I took delivery today on the relatively new Anker 63W PowerPort Speed 5 with 2 Quick Charge 3.0 ports: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. I bought it on sale at $26.99--currently, it's the usual price of $35.99. Typical Anker packaging and build quality. The QC 3.0 ports are fast--I went from 57% to 90% on my Moto G4 Plus in just less than 30 minutes, but I have not yet tested the device will all five ports charging. No USB-C port, and I see that the Anker unit with USB-C is currently unavailable at Amazon.

A couple of notes. I previously used a version of the discontinued Anker 40W 5-port without QC but with their IQ technology. I'm sure the new device will outperform the earlier unit, but there are significant differences. First, the old Anker was a square, matte black unit. The new device is more curved and slightly less slick.

Second, the new device is somewhat larger than the old unit--about 3/8 of an inch longer and about 1/2 inch wider although both devices are about the same thickness. They feel as if they weigh about the same, but as a result, the older device with its increased density feels more solid. I think "feel" here is the operative term as with Anker's generally high build quality, I don't think the new device is poorly built. It just feels slightly less substantial.

Third, the size of the unit is directly related to Anker's decision to incorporate a blue power light on the new device. Looking side-by-side with the five ports lined up next to each other, the power light, atop and in line with the ports, almost totally accounts for the extra width of the unit. I know this is a YMMV thing, but at least for travel purposes, I try to block out as much of this kind of light as possible. I know others like the power light. I think some black tape is destined to cover that light if I use it during travel.

I suspect I'll be as happy with this Anker purchase as I have been with all of my others. I'll try to remember to update this review after I've put this charger under a full load.
2 stupid questions:

1.) Does Anker have a USB 3.0 compatible battery pack yet? I love my current brick - lasted me through 2 weeks in Europe. But it's not 3.0

2.) Is 3.0 back compatible with 2.0/1.0 devices or will I need 2 chargers if I have an older phone w/ 2.0 + newer laptop w/ 3.0?
Old Mar 11, 2017, 1:29 pm

Programs: AS, IHG and post-loyal
I'm waiting for the DART-C myself. Rather I'm waiting for someone to review it here
Old Mar 11, 2017, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by greggarious
2 stupid questions:

1.) Does Anker have a USB 3.0 compatible battery pack yet? I love my current brick - lasted me through 2 weeks in Europe. But it's not 3.0

2.) Is 3.0 back compatible with 2.0/1.0 devices or will I need 2 chargers if I have an older phone w/ 2.0 + newer laptop w/ 3.0?
On your first question, yes: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014ZO46LK...296&kwr_id=179.

And yes as far as I can tell with backwards compatability with 2.0 and 1.0. I haven't seen a 3.0 device that isn't compatible with earlier USB versions, but of course, you shouldn't expect the charging speed to be any higher than a 2.0 or 1.0 can handle.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 11:35 am

I found a power bank which can both take and give USB-C and QC 3.0 both. Added to the wiki.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
I have one of the XT powerbanks with DC out (selectable 16, 19, 20V) - charges my laptop, too. Brilliant!

https://www.xtpower.de/DC/USB-Power-Bank
Old Mar 12, 2017, 6:41 pm

fyi - I've started using FakeSpot as an indicator of review reliability and overall vendor trustworthiness

Example of a "F" review for a USB battery charger that looks great

http://fakespot.com/product/usb-type...phone-and-more

Example of a "C" review for Anker

http://fakespot.com/product/anker-po...ast-recharging

Example of an "A" review

http://fakespot.com/product/fleck-56...f-51be7061c246
(By necessity I just became an pseudo-expert in water softeners...)

and an awesome A for the Ravpower charger just posted to the Wiki by chx1975

http://fakespot.com/product/quick-ch...blets-and-more

Last edited by MareLuce; Mar 12, 2017 at 6:50 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.