FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2017: USB Travel Chargers and Power Supplies Thread
Old Mar 11, 2017, 12:36 pm
greggarious
Suspended

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
I took delivery today on the relatively new Anker 63W PowerPort Speed 5 with 2 Quick Charge 3.0 ports: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. I bought it on sale at $26.99--currently, it's the usual price of $35.99. Typical Anker packaging and build quality. The QC 3.0 ports are fast--I went from 57% to 90% on my Moto G4 Plus in just less than 30 minutes, but I have not yet tested the device will all five ports charging. No USB-C port, and I see that the Anker unit with USB-C is currently unavailable at Amazon.

A couple of notes. I previously used a version of the discontinued Anker 40W 5-port without QC but with their IQ technology. I'm sure the new device will outperform the earlier unit, but there are significant differences. First, the old Anker was a square, matte black unit. The new device is more curved and slightly less slick.

Second, the new device is somewhat larger than the old unit--about 3/8 of an inch longer and about 1/2 inch wider although both devices are about the same thickness. They feel as if they weigh about the same, but as a result, the older device with its increased density feels more solid. I think "feel" here is the operative term as with Anker's generally high build quality, I don't think the new device is poorly built. It just feels slightly less substantial.

Third, the size of the unit is directly related to Anker's decision to incorporate a blue power light on the new device. Looking side-by-side with the five ports lined up next to each other, the power light, atop and in line with the ports, almost totally accounts for the extra width of the unit. I know this is a YMMV thing, but at least for travel purposes, I try to block out as much of this kind of light as possible. I know others like the power light. I think some black tape is destined to cover that light if I use it during travel.

I suspect I'll be as happy with this Anker purchase as I have been with all of my others. I'll try to remember to update this review after I've put this charger under a full load.
2 stupid questions:

1.) Does Anker have a USB 3.0 compatible battery pack yet? I love my current brick - lasted me through 2 weeks in Europe. But it's not 3.0

2.) Is 3.0 back compatible with 2.0/1.0 devices or will I need 2 chargers if I have an older phone w/ 2.0 + newer laptop w/ 3.0?