Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MacBook Pro help

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2016, 12:47 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Your friend's boyfriend is thoughtful but seemingly a little clueless. If you're a PC person, why is he wasting your time with questions any Apple Store employee -- even one in a different state if there's not one nearby -- could answer?
Old Dec 3, 2016, 1:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by MADPhil
There are a number of other issues with the newest Macbook Pros and there is an FT thread discussing them. Some people have chosen to buy the previous version.
I know, I posted in that thread. I don't like the keyboard. But the OP's reasons are different here. I'll be waiting until the next update to decide what to do.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 1:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by chgoeditor
Your friend's boyfriend is thoughtful but seemingly a little clueless. If you're a PC person, why is he wasting your time with questions any Apple Store employee -- even one in a different state if there's not one nearby -- could answer?
I'm guessing he wants to order it online (can you order them online?), as he works odd hours and the closest Apple Store is about an hour away.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by kipper
I'm guessing he wants to order it online (can you order them online?), as he works odd hours and the closest Apple Store is about an hour away.
You can order MacBook Pro's online at Apple, there are a few models. They also have a comparison chart to help you decide which model is the right one. In my opinion it is imperative to purchase Apple care at the time of purchase of the MacBook as it extends the warranty and provides other types of assistance with your MacBook.

Also if he doesn't know which model his girlfriend wants he should go to the Apple store. They are very good at recommending the right equipment based on how you use the MacBook.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by MissJoeyDFW
You can order MacBook Pro's online at Apple ...
I'd recommend comparison shopping before doing so:
http://prices.appleinsider.com/13-macbook-pro-late-2016

Right now, the base model is $1499 on Apple.com, but $1369 from Adorama. Apple will honor the 1-year warranty regardless of seller (even if it's a private individual).
Old Dec 3, 2016, 6:48 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I've had nothing but Macs since the first one. And I'm female. So here goes.

Her thinking is crazy. An additional charger is maybe $60. So, buy an extra charger to go with it. (I don't think anything is compatible with at 2010 charger, but I could be wrong.)

Questions: What does she use the computer for? If it's not graphics or photography, if t's just for things like browsing the web and word processing, then things like RAM and speed probably don't matter.

Is money an object? If not get the one with the most RAM and fastest processor. It never hurts to have more than you need. (Bigger is always better.)

Go with the newest model. Don't buy outdated equipment.

Caution: the new MacBook Pros have nothing but USBC ports. She'll need dongles for everything.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by manneca
I've had nothing but Macs since the first one. And I'm female. So here goes.

Her thinking is crazy. An additional charger is maybe $60. So, buy an extra charger to go with it. (I don't think anything is compatible with at 2010 charger, but I could be wrong.)

Questions: What does she use the computer for? If it's not graphics or photography, if t's just for things like browsing the web and word processing, then things like RAM and speed probably don't matter.

Is money an object? If not get the one with the most RAM and fastest processor. It never hurts to have more than you need. (Bigger is always better.)

Go with the newest model. Don't buy outdated equipment.

Caution: the new MacBook Pros have nothing but USBC ports. She'll need dongles for everything.
My comment was that I'm a PC girl, so I know nothing about Macs.

She's a college student (her BF is not), so I assume she's trying to be practical with the charger.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 11:11 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
I'm a Mac fan girl

Since the day the first one rolled off the assembly line. If your friend can't get to an Apple Store, or even if he can, have him call the good folks at PowerMax in Oregon. I bought all my machines from them for many years – no sales tax, free shipping on orders over $100, and very knowledgeable sales and sales support people. If he doesn't have time to go somewhere, calling or texting or chatting with one of the folks at PowerMax will answer any questions he might have. They're not into the hard-sell they really want you to be happy with the machine.

Http://Www.powermax.com

(I get no kickback from them – I just really like them and they've always treated me very well. )
Old Dec 4, 2016, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by kipper
My comment was that I'm a PC girl, so I know nothing about Macs.

She's a college student (her BF is not), so I assume she's trying to be practical with the charger.
As others have mentioned, this charger thing is a silly issue. What is another $60 when you are spending the extra bucks to get a MacBook Pro vs. a regular PC laptop?

I am curious does her boyfriend have any idea of the cost of a MacBook Pro? Is he going to have sticker shock?
Old Dec 4, 2016, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by squeakr
Since the day the first one rolled off the assembly line. If your friend can't get to an Apple Store, or even if he can, have him call the good folks at PowerMax in Oregon. I bought all my machines from them for many years – no sales tax, free shipping on orders over $100, and very knowledgeable sales and sales support people. If he doesn't have time to go somewhere, calling or texting or chatting with one of the folks at PowerMax will answer any questions he might have. They're not into the hard-sell they really want you to be happy with the machine.

Http://Www.powermax.com

(I get no kickback from them – I just really like them and they've always treated me very well. )
Thanks! I'll pass that along.
Originally Posted by MissJoeyDFW
As others have mentioned, this charger thing is a silly issue. What is another $60 when you are spending the extra bucks to get a MacBook Pro vs. a regular PC laptop?

I am curious does her boyfriend have any idea of the cost of a MacBook Pro? Is he going to have sticker shock?
She's being practical. I'm guessing he has some idea.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.