FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   MacBook Pro help (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/1806510-macbook-pro-help.html)

kipper Dec 2, 2016 5:16 pm

MacBook Pro help

A friend's boyfriend has asked me for help with Christmas shopping for her. He wants to get her a Macbook Pro, because her MacBook died. Her old one is from 2010, and she indicated that they changed chargers for some of the new MacBook Pros, but use the old charger for others. I'm a PC girl, not a Mac girl, so I have no idea about chargers and what models use the old charger. I'm hoping OMNI-land can help! :D

LondonElite Dec 2, 2016 5:26 pm

All new MBPs come with a working charger so you won't need to worry about the old one.

kipper Dec 2, 2016 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 27558377)
All new MBPs come with a working charger so you won't need to worry about the old one.

I figured they all come with chargers. However, she would like to stick with one that uses the old style so that she has a spare charger.

essxjay Dec 2, 2016 5:36 pm

The design of the male end of the charger has been redesigned to resist fraying but that doesn't affect its basic functionality. A MagSafe Power Adapter is a MagSafe Power Adapter.

I have two Macbooks (2008, 2011) and one MacbookPro (2006), and use both styles of chargers. They're completely interchangeable although the 85w MagSafe Power Adapter A1343 is [scarequotes] intended [/scare] for the MBP and the 60w version, the model number of which I cannot retrieve for you given the 11.5 lb. cat on my feet, is intended for the Macbook.

When the old style p/a that came with my '06 MBP failed due to fraying I used an old style 60W p/a for months until I got around to buying a new style 85W p/a. Absolutely no performance difference though the brick did get a tad toasty at times. :D

BTW, if you have orphan miles in UA or some other program with shopping you can one for a song. I redeemed 12,600 miles for a brand spanking new 85W p/a. Regular retail is $80(!).

kipper Dec 2, 2016 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by essxjay (Post 27558416)
The design of the male end of the charger has been redesigned to resist fraying but that's doesn't affect its basic functionality. A MagSafe Power Adapter is a MagSafe Power Adapter.

I have two Macbooks (2008, 2011) and one MacbookPro (2006), and use both styles of chargers. They're completely interchangeable although the 85w MagSafe Power Adapter A1343 is [scarequotes] intended [/scare] for the MBP and the 60w version, the model number of which I cannot retrieve for you given the 11.5 lb. cat on my feet, is intended for the Macbook.

Doesn't the cat know I need the information? :D

So, the charger is the same, other than the fraying redesign? Nice!

davie355 Dec 2, 2016 6:59 pm

A MagSafe Power Adapter is a MagSafe Power Adapter.

There are 2 versions of MagSafe, not mutually compatible.

MADPhil Dec 2, 2016 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by kipper (Post 27558428)
Doesn't the cat know I need the information? :D

So, the charger is the same, other than the fraying redesign? Nice!

If you are buying one of the newest Macbook Pros then the connector is completely different.

Doc Savage Dec 2, 2016 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by kipper (Post 27558403)
I figured they all come with chargers. However, she would like to stick with one that uses the old style so that she has a spare charger.

That's a silly as choosing a new car based on tire size so you can use your old spare tire.

chrisl137 Dec 2, 2016 7:17 pm

A MagSafe Power Adapter is a MagSafe Power Adapter.

I have two Macbooks (2008, 2011) and one MacbookPro (2006),

Later MBPs (starting I'm not sure when) use a magsafe adapter that has a slightly larger head at the low voltage end. You can get an adapter from the smaller to the larger for about $10. I have both and my mid-2015 is plugged in through the little adapter to the smaller adapter right now.

The very newest ones charge through a USB-C, which is completely different. there may or may not be an adapter to either of the magsafes.

kipper Dec 2, 2016 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by MADPhil (Post 27558717)
If you are buying one of the newest Macbook Pros then the connector is completely different.

:(

Originally Posted by Doc Savage (Post 27558725)
That's a silly as choosing a new car based on tire size so you can use your old spare tire.

It's not for me.

Originally Posted by chrisl137 (Post 27558737)
Later MBPs (starting I'm not sure when) use a magsafe adapter that has a slightly larger head at the low voltage end. You can get an adapter from the smaller to the larger for about $10. I have both and my mid-2015 is plugged in through the little adapter to the smaller adapter right now.

The very newest ones charge through a USB-C, which is completely different. there may or may not be an adapter to either of the magsafes.

So not what I was hoping to see.

Doc Savage Dec 2, 2016 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by kipper (Post 27559170)
:(

It's not for me.

I know; I would have stated it more diplomatically if it had
been for you.

MissJoeyDFW Dec 3, 2016 4:47 am

Kipper,

His girlfriend will be so delighted to get a new MacBook Pro that not having a backup charger won't be an issue. I just replaced my 2010 with a 2016 MacBook Pro. As others have mentioned Apple changed the shape of the charger connector and old charger will not fit the new MacBook Pros.

More important decisions when deciding on a MacBook Pro are about which size/model do you want and how do you want to configure the MacBook Pro. Your friend can easily do comparisons online between the different models and configurations online at Apple to select right MacBook Pro. Also if there is an Apple Store nearby those folks are very helpful.

LondonElite Dec 3, 2016 4:50 am

Originally Posted by MADPhil (Post 27558717)

Precisely, why would you buy an older model for the sake of an adapter? :confused:

Originally Posted by Doc Savage (Post 27558725)

Excellent!

kipper Dec 3, 2016 4:56 am

Originally Posted by Doc Savage (Post 27559175)
I know; I would have stated it more diplomatically if it had
been for you.

:D I've not been one to select a computer based on type of charger, but apparently, it matters to her.

MADPhil Dec 3, 2016 7:59 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 27559791)
Precisely, why would you buy an older model for the sake of an adapter? :confused:

There are a number of other issues with the newest Macbook Pros and there is an FT thread discussing them. Some people have chosen to buy the previous version.