Wiki Posts
Search

Netflix now has download option for offline viewing

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2017, 3:10 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Expiring shows will not be available at all via Netflix. Every month there is content that expires and is removed and new content they introduce.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 4:07 am

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
Originally Posted by yosithezet
Expiring shows will not be available at all via Netflix. Every month there is content that expires and is removed and new content they introduce.
Interesting - I figured if they went through the trouble of encoding it they would keep it around forever?
Old Jan 2, 2017, 7:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by DMSFCA
Interesting - I figured if they went through the trouble of encoding it they would keep it around forever?
Ummm..., no, that isn't how things work I'm afraid. Netflix (or any other streaming service) must license the content and that license has terms and conditions that occasionally expire, etc.

Regards
Old Jan 2, 2017, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
This happened to me with Amazon Prime, where they yanked it the day before I had planned to watch the video on a flight - ARGH!

Thanks for the reminder Netflix does that stuff, too.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've been using a program called PlayOn. It will automatically download any video from HBOnow, Amazon, Netflix and others. You can also set it to subscribe to series, so it will download the video as soon as it's available. I copy the videos directly over to microSD card (200 gig) that goes in my Android tablet. The good thing about this is that they never expire. The format is compressed mp4, but the quality at HD is excellent -- so good, that I'm thinking of using it with an USB/HDMI adapter so I can use my tablet as a content server in hotel rooms. I had an hour to kill at SMF yesterday, and used it to get caught up with The Man in the High Castle while eating lunch. Between the video and my Bose, I didn't even notice the screaming kids at the next table.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Love this new option. Not only great for plane rides but also for hotel gyms with poor or no wifi (need something to distract me while on the treadmill / elliptical)
Old Mar 15, 2017, 7:32 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
I looked up downloadable tiltles in next flux and I only got something like 20 to choose from. Is there more availability?

Was looking to download Jessica Jones to watch on the flight from DFW-DOH.

Thanks
Old Mar 15, 2017, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Any word on if/when this comes to the Windows 10 version of the app?!
Old Apr 10, 2017, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Huge for me - both for airplanes and international destinations.

Now I just need to find a music service that allows me to download new music every month, rather than live streaming which is DOA on airplanes.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 5:11 am

Originally Posted by Boraxo

Now I just need to find a music service that allows me to download new music every month, rather than live streaming which is DOA on airplanes.
Spotify lets you do that, you can download any playlist to your mobile device, and there are plenty of 'dynamic' playlists you can register to and the content changes every few weeks or so.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 6:33 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by Ditto
Spotify lets you do that, you can download any playlist to your mobile device, and there are plenty of 'dynamic' playlists you can register to and the content changes every few weeks or so.
Apple Music also allows one to download music to mobile devices.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by Boraxo

If you're an Amazon Prime member, you can download from their included Prime music library as well.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 10:44 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by yosithezet
How does one know when their movie selections expire on both Netflix and Amazon videos? It is simply a matter of when the vendor removes the movie or are the days numbered and therefore must be renewed even if the movie is not removed?
Old Apr 11, 2017, 11:14 am

My only (admittedly minor) problem with the offline viewing is that it doesn't sync up to online later. I download a bunch of episodes of a TV series and then watch as much as a I can while on the plane. When I get back to Netflix on my TVs, it doesn't know that I've watched those episodes and doesn't know where I am in the series. I wish it would sync up once it's back online.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by Xeno
How does one know when their movie selections expire on both Netflix and Amazon videos? It is simply a matter of when the vendor removes the movie or are the days numbered and therefore must be renewed even if the movie is not removed?
Netflix shows on the show page that it is going to be removed in "Month, Year" so you know it in advance.

Originally Posted by manda99
My only (admittedly minor) problem with the offline viewing is that it doesn't sync up to online later. I download a bunch of episodes of a TV series and then watch as much as a I can while on the plane. When I get back to Netflix on my TVs, it doesn't know that I've watched those episodes and doesn't know where I am in the series. I wish it would sync up once it's back online.
It actually does sync up, I've seen some episodes offline on my phone and then watched online from my laptop and had no issue finding where I stopped.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.