Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Own modem/router vs. ISP rental

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2016, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Own modem/router vs. ISP rental

Apologies for the dumb question, but I am doing this for my GF, and don't want to screw it up.

She's currently renting a modem/router box thingie from Comcast, and of course they are charging something stupid. It's not even about the money, it's about the principle.

My question: is any router okay to use in place of the one provided by the ISP? Or will she need a specific one? And if so, how do I find out what type?

Many thanks. ^ :-:
Old Oct 31, 2016, 2:24 pm

modem/router box

is any router okay
do you know teh difference between modem and router?

modem: input = coaxial cable , output = ethernet cable to a device/router
router: usually to share connection from modem to multiple wired/wireless devices

if you're replacing comcast's option, you need to get both a modem AND router. (there are combo units like comcast's version, but it's generally better to separate the two)

what speed tier are you getting? there are different modem price points for different speeds

for router, what devices are you using (newer devices support 802.11ac which are high speeds/better throughput, but still limited by your speed tier). same thing, different price points for different speeds/technologies
Old Oct 31, 2016, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Gold, SPG Plat, HH Gold
You'll want one that is from Comcast's list of approved modems. Costco usually has a deal or two going.

The Comcast website has a page where you select your level of service (bandwidth) and it gives you a list of recommended modems.

http://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/
Old Oct 31, 2016, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Thank you both! ^ ^
Old Oct 31, 2016, 2:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Funny timing.. I am finding my UVerse system is struggling with all the devices (light globes etc..) in our house. Routing/Gateway is fine.. I am probably going to connect a router downstream.. Probably set up as a bridge.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 3:27 pm
Suspended

Modem - get the Motorola/Arris SB6141, unless your gf subscribe to the 100mbps+ plan.

Router - anything should be fine. Tips, get the apple airport extreme 4th or 5th gen, you can usually get on ebay for $20-$30

Agreed to previous suggestion, don't buy the combo router and modem, it's better to buy separate.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Just a data point: I've never had an issue with DSL modem/router combos.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 5:03 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by Vaucluse
don't buy the combo router and modem, it's better to buy separate.
Depends on the product.

I like the Fritz!box 7390 as it offers all major functions (Modem, router, 2Ghz + 5Ghz Wifi AP, VoiP server, data server, voicemail, etc...). It is the combo, my ISP provides (both as rental and standalone). No downtime in 36 months.

My other current ISP offers a combo device too. It's pretty horrid. It's a no name product, that regularly cuts out the connection for a few seconds. That is why I preferred the older solutions, where ISPs simply provided the most basic (but sturdy) modem available and customers went off to buy the router they preferred.

Offerall combo devices are not per se good or bad. Lock up, which devices your ISP and pick the one that gets good reviews and fits your needs.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 5:17 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Another datapoint - I love my Arris VOIP gateway, MODEM, firewall, GbE switch and WIFI 802.11AC dual band router. My main reason for the all-in-one is because I only have one device to setup and administer as opposed to getting 3 or 4 separate devices to play nice with each other, been there and didn't enjoy the 'experience'.... It also doesn't take up much space when compared to separate devices (and associated wall-wart power supplies). It's connected to a Dell 16-port managed GbE switch that is wired to all rooms in the house (and 3 other dumb GbE switches) and the overall combo is superb. It also helps that it has been one of the most reliable devicesI have ever had, it just never crashes.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I will echo the suggestions for Motorola/Arris modems. I've used them for over a decade and they have been rock solid. The SB6141 is perfectly fine for all but the extreme speed tiers, but for $20 more I'd consider the SB6181 modem for some future-proofing. Comcast will continue to let you bring your own SB6141, but has placed it on the end-of-life list for leasing.

I have also had some bad experiences with combo devices in the past and have a longstanding preference for a separate modem and router. But I acknowledge that there are reliable combo devices out there if a single box is your thing. My top choice in standalone routers these days is Asus, especially the RT-AC68U.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 8:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by javabytes
I will echo the suggestions for Motorola/Arris modems. I've used them for over a decade and they have been rock solid. The SB6141 is perfectly fine for all but the extreme speed tiers, but for $20 more I'd consider the SB6181 modem for some future-proofing. Comcast will continue to let you bring your own SB6141, but has placed it on the end-of-life list for leasing.
I'm running SB6141 as well. Got it from amazon warehouse deals refurb for $40
Old Nov 1, 2016, 9:30 am

Like you, I'm a Comcast customer who wanted to stop renting the hardware. I went with the NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900. Although I generally agree with the concept of "separates" I purchased the combo modem+router unit and have been very pleased with the performance. It is Comcast approved, supports very high speed on the Comcast side (24x8 channel bonding) and the most current protocols on the home side (802.11 AC). WiFi coverage now extends into the back yard, so I've removed the WiFi repeater I'd setup some years back.

Although separates (one modem, one router) are more flexible if you change ISPs, that's not happening anytime soon. Having one unit reduces troubleshooting and wiring. There are cheaper options than the Nighthawk, but I'll still save money before two years of rental charges are up, and I'll have a slick piece of hardware to show for it.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 11:51 pm

OWN all the way!

Unless you're subscribed to some of their fastest tiers, buy something cheap. I used to use the Motorola SB6141 modems, but have had too many failures with them. I've since switched to the ultra-cheap TP-Link modems. Better signal performance, cheap, and I bought it with a Citi card so an extra 2 year warranty on top of the manufacturer's 2 year warranty. I'll probably be ready for a different modem in 4 years and if it dies before then, it's covered.

Not wanting to sound like a shill or fanboy, but TP-Link's Archer C7 router has a great range on it. I also have an Asus router at another one of my homes and happy with it. The Asus is a bit more featured than the TP-Link, but it also cost almost double.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
I don't know how the SB6141 works with other ISPs but with TWC (now "Spectrum") mine would reboot every time I tried to stream Netflix with my TV. I haven't had problems with the 6183 though, and they're likely inexpensive enough these days that it's worth paying the little bit extra for something that'll work if you ever decide to upgrade to a higher tier plan.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 7:27 am

Programs: United MP
The SB6121 we used to have, lasted a long time, but the 6141 we have didn't last. Were temporarily renting while considering which modem to buy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.