Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bose warranty change?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2016, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chx1975
Well, the word Bose costing was justified by the trading up feature. I bought a used Bose QC3 in 2007 , exchanged it sometimes free sometimes for $100 when it broke then upgraded to the QC15 for the famous $100. Already for the QC 25 they wanted more than $100 and I think my next headphones simply won't be Bose.
I guarantee whatever amount the save by being more stingy with replacements will be lost in the thousands of people who will never buy their stuff again!

They are better than competitors but not $200-300 better without the tradeup program imo!
Old Jul 24, 2016, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Second pair of Bose headphones to crap out in 2 years. First a pair of QC15s that had lasted ~4 years and then starting going out intermittently and have substantial static.

Decided just to replace them last year with a pair of QC25s instead of dealing with warranty / upgrade issues. Well this past week on my flight home from AUS the left ear crapped out.

Called Bose and was told since warranty was up this past April it would cost $250++ to repair and upon declining was told they would be kind enough lower it to $150++.

No thanks - not after having bought a new pair last year. Hoping that AMEX will come through on the extended warranty but pretty disappointed. Will try contacting Twitter during business hours tomorrow but not holding out hope - might be time to look elsewhere for cheaper, but just as effective, replacements.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by boberonicus
Perhaps you're not the customer they're aiming for. On the upside, you can still buy used LL Bean clothing at thrift shops and take it back to the LL Bean store for full credit!
Eh depends, even if he personally isn't their target he might attract others.

I've (bought in actual dollars not retail value) over $1k of bose headphones and got tons of others to buy them.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by boberonicus
Perhaps you're not the customer they're aiming for. On the upside, you can still buy used LL Bean clothing at thrift shops and take it back to the LL Bean store for full credit!
Originally Posted by eeeaddict
Eh depends, even if he personally isn't their target he might attract others.

I've (bought in actual dollars not retail value) over $1k of bose headphones and got tons of others to buy them.
Bose doesn't have the market cornered any longer. Beats, Sony, Jaybird, are all viable alternatives. What Bose has going for them, is their name brand and recognition. I've used some off brands that work just as well for 1/4 of the price, and have 80% of the quality. When a brand starts to get cocky, their loyalty will make a similar change.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 12:45 pm

Programs: AZ FA+, BA & UA Gold
Case in point: I'll be going for Parrot's Zik headphones when the fourth generation comes out. Currently on the 15s- a great pair but I don't see a decent way moving forward.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WIRunner
Bose doesn't have the market cornered any longer. Beats, Sony, Jaybird, are all viable alternatives. What Bose has going for them, is their name brand and recognition. I've used some off brands that work just as well for 1/4 of the price, and have 80% of the quality. When a brand starts to get cocky, their loyalty will make a similar change.
I don't know bout 'murica or europe but in Canada once you open a pair of headphones you HAVE to keep them (law says no returns allowed)

Bose has demos everywhere and sony is starting to. Whoever can make a cheap pair and actually demo them will corner the market here!
Old Jul 25, 2016, 1:25 pm

I don't know bout 'murica or europe but in Canada once you open a pair of headphones you HAVE to keep them (law says no returns allowed)

Bose has demos everywhere and sony is starting to. Whoever can make a cheap pair and actually demo them will corner the market here!

confused... I assume the no-return thing is for health reasons?
If so, aren't demo headphones in stores just as bad?
Old Jul 25, 2016, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by Enhancements
Case in point: I'll be going for Parrot's Zik headphones when the fourth generation comes out. Currently on the 15s- a great pair but I don't see a decent way moving forward.
I thought the Zik 3 heapphones came out only several months ago?

When are the Zik 4 headphones supposed to come out?

Thanks!
Old Jul 25, 2016, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K

You can return them without issue (generally, it is up to the store.) But a store worth their salt isn't going to resell them. When I was in retail we'd do a return, then send them to the "warehouse" to be sent back to the manufacturer. I'm assuming that they'd get new plastics, and be sold elsewhere or as a refurb.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 2:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Siberian_Viktorya
confused... I assume the no-return thing is for health reasons?
If so, aren't demo headphones in stores just as bad?
lol it's Canada, if you want a demo ask a friend (our retail sector is horrible and it shows)

The resale thing is a health law, but ironically there are a few headphone demos out on display. In Japan bose had cleaning wipes (and even earbuds to try)
Old Jul 26, 2016, 6:16 am

lol it's Canada, if you want a demo ask a friend (our retail sector is horrible and it shows)

The resale thing is a health law, but ironically there are a few headphone demos out on display. In Japan bose had cleaning wipes (and even earbuds to try)

what about payphones? (you know, those phones hanging on the wall that required you to insert a nickle before making a call?)
Old Jul 28, 2016, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by Siberian_Viktorya
what about payphones? (you know, those phones hanging on the wall that required you to insert a nickle before making a call?)
Nickle?

How old are you?
Old Jul 28, 2016, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by tentseller
Nickle?

How old are you?
oh cr*p, did I just reveal my age?

the last time I used a payphone was probably 1990? IIRC, it was one of thos BellAtlantic ones at BWI and only asked for two dimes. That was around the time I bought my first brickphone.

saw a payphone at a convention center the other day and is was $1. What the heck?
Old May 26, 2017, 11:03 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Data point:
My three-year-old QC20s broke recently while on a trip - the plastic housing of one earbud broke in two. Apparently, the grey plastic surrounding the electronics is two halves bonded together, and the glue failed. As this was immediately preceding a 20-hour flight in economy, I went into a bose store in LA, expecting to pay $$$ for a new pair after all I`ve read about Bose tightening their policies.
Much to my delight, they were exchanged at no charge without even a question. Staff just got a new pair and that was that.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, TrueBlue, IHG Plat Amb, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Accor Platinum, National Exec Elite
I had a pair of QC20i's and last week the right side earbud died in flight and found this thread. Well out of warranty (4 years old) but called BOSE and they offered a brand new replacement for $150 including tax and free shipping (with additional 25% loyalty discount). Considering off the street these things are still running $250 and on eBay can be hit or miss, not too shabby for a non-refurb set and 1 year warranty. Can never hurt to call.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.