Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Miracast to Roku using 4g rather than wifi..Possible?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2016, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Slvr, DL Slvr, AA plt, HH LTD, MR tit/LTP at least two of those buy 10 get 1 free coffee cards

I have a Moto X (2014) that screen mirrors to my Roku 2. It only seems to work when both are connected to the home wifi router though. I would like to be able to use it when the phone is on 4g. I tried using my mobile hotspot service, but while the ROKU will connect to the network, as soon as I try to enable screen mirroring, it turns off the mobile hotspot and jumps back onto the home wifi router.

Any suggestions?
Old Apr 29, 2016, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think those features are designed only to work when the phone and Roku are on the same LAN subnet. You'd need to set up a bridged VPN on your phone so that it would have an interface on the same subnet as your Roku.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 2:57 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
What's the use case here?
Old Apr 30, 2016, 3:29 pm

I can connect my Microsoft Surface to Microsoft's Miracast adapter without an access point. I play Netflix to it via its internal LTE modem for free courtesy of Binge On.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 5:15 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Miracast is a Wi-Fi Direct connection.

We had no end of trouble trying to use Roku sticks for Miracast, someone bought them so they could have Bloomberg on a bunch of screens in a new building that didn't have coaxial cable.

We have at least fifty of the Microsoft Wireless Display Adapters and they have been problem free.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aroundtheworld76
I have a Moto X (2014) that screen mirrors to my Roku 2. It only seems to work when both are connected to the home wifi router though...
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I think those features are designed only to work when the phone and Roku are on the same LAN subnet...
I didn't think Miracast goes through the router at all. Doesn't the phone connect directly to the Roku/Smart TV/etc.?
Old Apr 30, 2016, 9:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Slvr, DL Slvr, AA plt, HH LTD, MR tit/LTP at least two of those buy 10 get 1 free coffee cards
Originally Posted by nerd
I didn't think Miracast goes through the router at all. Doesn't the phone connect directly to the Roku/Smart TV/etc.?
Nope, Miracast (or whatever protocol the screencasting is using) won't work unless they are on the same router. That's what I'm trying to fix.

As for use case, if I can get it to work here, I'll take a ROKU on the road with me for hotels that have super slow internet while I have a decent 4g signal. I had read that it was via wifi direct, but can't seem to make that happen.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nope, Miracast (or whatever protocol the screencasting is using) won't work unless they are on the same router. That's what I'm trying to fix.
Really? Most everything on the topic seems to suggest otherwise:

https://www.google.com/search?q=do+y...r+for+miracast
Old May 1, 2016, 10:07 am

As for use case, if I can get it to work here, I'll take a ROKU on the road with me for hotels that have super slow internet while I have a decent 4g signal. I had read that it was via wifi direct, but can't seem to make that happen.
Create a wifi hotspot on your phone, connect Roku to hotspot, Roku now using your 4g for Internet connection.

Bonus using the hotspot is that Miracast might work now, as phon and Roku are now on the same subnet, but you dont need it, as the Roku can just connect to the Internet.

Also, some phones have HDMI out capability.
Old May 1, 2016, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
Create a wifi hotspot on your phone, connect Roku to hotspot, Roku now using your 4g for Internet connection.
Tried that. While the ROKU will connect and work through the mobile hotspot, as soon as I turn on screen mirroring, it turns off the hotspot and jumps back on the wifi. That does solve the slow wifi issue, but doesn't allow me to take advantage of T-Mobile Binge on, where hulu and such don't count against fast data. I will check out the HDMI out capability...good idea!

Thanks for the suggestions all. Will keep experimenting with it.
Old May 1, 2016, 10:54 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
What phone are you using? Is it possible its USB supports MHL HDMI output? Also, a Chromecast can likely do what you're looking for using WiFi direct.

Last edited by IsleOfMan; May 1, 2016 at 11:03 am
Old May 1, 2016, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Really? Most everything on the topic seems to suggest otherwise:

https://www.google.com/search?q=do+y...r+for+miracast
Finally got around to verifying this with my tablet and Sony Bravia:

Turned off the router, and then cast the tablet screen to the TV. So it matters not at all to Miracast whether there is a router in the picture.
Old May 1, 2016, 12:42 pm

Finally got around to verifying this with my tablet and Sony Bravia:

Turned off the router, and then cast the tablet screen to the TV. So it matters not at all to Miracast whether there is a router in the picture.
The issue is I don't think the Roku Screen Mirroring solution is actually Miracast, or at least not 100% Miracast compliant. Notice through Roku it's never actually advertised as Miracast, though it uses Miracast-compliant hardware as a requirement for Windows devices. Not all "Screen Mirroring" solutions are Miracast.
Old May 2, 2016, 9:58 am

I think you need Roku 3 to support WiFi Direct... Roku 2 does not.
Old May 2, 2016, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Need
I think you need Roku 3 to support WiFi Direct... Roku 2 does not.
Ahhh.... maybe I'll get a 3 and try it out. Thanks all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.