Search

How do you remember passwords?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2016, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
How do you remember passwords?

It seems there are so many. A shopping website wants you to have letters and alphabets while a bank wants you to add capitals, alphabets and numerics. Some websites you don't want to have the same passwords to as your most secure ones. You end up with so many different passwords.

So how do you guys do it? Using the same password would be silly but yet having 10 different ones is so difficult to remember.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 5:38 am

Originally Posted by onlysuites
It seems there are so many. A shopping website wants you to have letters and alphabets while a bank wants you to add capitals, alphabets and numerics. Some websites you don't want to have the same passwords to as your most secure ones. You end up with so many different passwords.

So how do you guys do it? Using the same password would be silly but yet having 10 different ones is so difficult to remember.
I use LastPass. It generates and remembers highly random passwords for me, and is installed on every device I use. I'm satisfied that they use the appropriate precautions to safeguard my password store, even though they're "in the cloud."

This password manager makes it very easy to maintain unique passwords for every site, and for many popular sites, will automatically update them when you change them.

They've been very upfront and have responded appropriately when an incident that had even the slightest chance of revealing confidential information has occurred, and if memory serves, that's only happened once (and no passwords were revealed).
Old Mar 13, 2016, 6:01 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
LastPass here too ^

Had the same problem you describe, and now no longer have the problem. Works cross platform on all my devices.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 6:02 am

Programs: MR PremPlat, DL DM 1M, AA Plat, Avis First, Hertz PC
This is what password managers are for. Here is an article of various managers available for you:

http://www.howtogeek.com/141500/why-...o-get-started/

I use keepass using Dropbox to sync to all my devices (PC & Mobile).
Old Mar 13, 2016, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Ideally I wanted one that I could keep on my iPhone that hopefully uses fingerprint as security?

Does lastpass work on the iPhone and mac?
Old Mar 13, 2016, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Just checked out lastpass. It seems quite good. Can I also store passwords for other things on there?
Old Mar 13, 2016, 7:03 am

Just checked out lastpass. It seems quite good. Can I also store passwords for other things on there?
LastPass stores data on their cloud, which has plus and minus.

1Password does same as LastPass but only stores on your hard drive and requires updating by wifi syncing to devices. That also has plus and minus.

Matter of personal preference -- I prefer the latter, most are ok with the former. Both are solid password managers.

There are older but fairly comprehensive threads on the subject here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/searc...ssword-manager
Old Mar 13, 2016, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ideally I wanted one that I could keep on my iPhone that hopefully uses fingerprint as security?

Yes, and it supports the fingerprint scanner on iOS. To use it on more than one device you have to pay. I think it's $12/year

Yes
Old Mar 13, 2016, 7:21 am

As you've probably discovered by now, yes it does

Absolutely. The password manager is by no means limited to storing just those for web sites and apps, and also includes a "secure notes" feature. You can also store multiple userids/passwords for the same site if needed, and it will prompt you for which pair to use when logging in.

You can also save form-fill data, including CC numbers, and have LastPass fill out web forms that you use regularly for you. This can save significant time for common tasks.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by dtsm
1Password does same as LastPass but only stores on your hard drive and requires updating by wifi syncing to devices. That also has plus and minus.
1password supports wifi sync, dropbox sync, and/or iCloud sync.

1password does everything the OP asked for and more including fingerprint unlock in the mobile app. Versions are available for Mac, Windows, iOS and Android. Lots of categories (ie, credit cards, passports, drivers licenses, rewards programs) and each card can store unlimited custom fields, including storing encrypted images and it also supports one-time password generation. (as with google authenticator)

The also have a very responsive developer/support team and a very active beta forum.

You should checkout both lastpass and 1password before choosing one vs the other.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Mar 13, 2016 at 9:26 am
Old Mar 13, 2016, 9:35 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Tryout both, at about $12 per year it will be a cheap expense that will solve your problems.

Worth every cent in my opinion, saves a lot of stress and hassle. Whichever you go for, just do it!! Try one then the other if you wish. There are youtube videos on each showing how they work.

Let me know in a years time whether it was worth $12 ...
Old Mar 13, 2016, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Make your password at least a five-word sentence that includes a number.

https://xkcd.com/936/
Old Mar 13, 2016, 12:59 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Make your password at least a five-word sentence that includes a number.

https://xkcd.com/936/
can exceed pw length or break some rules.

my alma mater has a draconian system that disallows any dictionary words.

except it must be sourced from every language in the world, because you can pound out any gibberish and theres a 70% chance it would get rejected, because it found some 2 and 3-letter strings not even in the scrabble dictionary
Old Mar 13, 2016, 1:03 pm

I use 1Password on my iPhone, iPad, and Mac and it all stays in sync via Dropbox. Touch to login on my iPhone and there's a handy Safari extension on the Mac that saves every password you type in into your 1Password vault (and for easy retrieval).^
Old Mar 13, 2016, 3:05 pm

I keep all of my passwords in a KeePass file that I keep on OneDrive (Google Drive iOS has a bug that prevents Open In from working with the iOS KeePass app). Not as fancy as the other password managers but it gets the job done, and I have more control of it than the password managers, and it is free.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.