Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Two iPhone issues that I seek your wisdom on :)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2015, 2:59 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite

1). Is there any way (or any sort of app) to prioritize which wifi networks the phone connects to? E.g., I have a home network which is always what I want the phone to default to when possible. But where I live, there's also a strong xfinity hotspot (and I am an xfinity internet customer, luck me ) so when I drive up to my house the phone connects to that at some point. But I'd like it to notice that we're now in range of the home network and roll over to that.

2) I had this problem with my iPhone 5 and something must have carried over from the restore to my iPhone 6: When I am on a flight (either United wifi or Gogo) with internet, if I select the plane's wifi network I NEVER get a login page (on my iPad, if I select the plane's network, a screen immediately pops up from the bottom for login credentials). But I get NOTHING on the iPhone. After selecting Gogo/UnitedWifi, I have tried multiple times using Safari and Chrome to go to a website (including connecting to the Gogo url "manually) and simply get a "You're not connected to the Internet" message. I've done the "Forget this network" multiple times, renew lease, etc.

I don't even know where to begin to Google for this!
Old Nov 2, 2015, 4:07 pm

1: no. I would like that as well, and it seems weird that you cannot, since they offer that via Mac OS.

2: my recommendation would be to reset your network settings
Old Nov 2, 2015, 4:21 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wcj1
...2: my recommendation would be to reset your network settings
Thanks. Should have also mentioned that I've done that several times too.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
For #2, I've developed a habit of navigating to airborne.gogoinflight.com if the captive portal doesn't pop up automatically.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by javabytes
For #2, I've developed a habit of navigating to airborne.gogoinflight.com if the captive portal doesn't pop up automatically.
Thanks, but as I noted:

Originally Posted by cblaisd
...After selecting Gogo/UnitedWifi, I have tried multiple times using Safari and Chrome to go to a website (including connecting to the Gogo url "manually) and simply get a "You're not connected to the Internet" message.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 8:53 pm

Programs: United MP
For #1, I choose the xfinity network, then click to see it's settings, and then click "forget this network".
Old Nov 2, 2015, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

The trouble with that is that occasionally when I'm around town I DO want to be able to use the hotspot without retyping my Xfinity credentials.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 3:38 am

did you try this? (create a profile for preferred and un-preferred wifi networks)

http://nootrix.com/2012/01/prioritize-wifi-on-iphone/

I haven't tried it.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 7:46 am
Original Poster

I've not tried it, but it looks intriguing. Will do so sometime when I have a bit of time. Thank you.

ETA: Since a careful reading of the article seems to suggest that it's only for two networks, a primary and a secondary, I think I may pass since my issue is more complex than that. (E.g., I'd also like to add in ATT hotspots -- since iPhones connect to them for free -- in a prioritized list).

Last edited by cblaisd; Nov 3, 2015 at 10:45 am
Old Nov 3, 2015, 8:42 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
For others who have Androids but are also interested in the answer to #1: I use Wifi Prioritizer. It's great...set it and then forget it!
Old Nov 3, 2015, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Not sure what that has to do with an iPhone thread???
Old Nov 3, 2015, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Found this
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/wifi...963277048?mt=8
but it's way more work than it ought to be. There really ought to be an app that simply reads network lists and lets you prioritize them. The app's name is a bit deceptive since what it really does it simply stop auto-joining for certain networks.

ETA: It also doesn't work. After installing per the instructions, my phone still auto-joined xfinity.

Last edited by cblaisd; Nov 3, 2015 at 2:36 pm
Old Nov 4, 2015, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by cblaisd
I've not tried it, but it looks intriguing. Will do so sometime when I have a bit of time. Thank you.

ETA: Since a careful reading of the article seems to suggest that it's only for two networks, a primary and a secondary, I think I may pass since my issue is more complex than that. (E.g., I'd also like to add in ATT hotspots -- since iPhones connect to them for free -- in a prioritized list).
You should read it again. They were trying to solve the same exact problem that you and many other people have noticed. You can't prioritize the wifi network lists. They are ordered alphabetically by their SSIDs.

You create two network/wifi profiles, not 2 networks. That allows the credentials to be remembered for both sets of wifi networks, but auto-join is only applied to one of the profiles.

I saw some apps out there also, but didn't dig into them at all.

-David
Old Nov 4, 2015, 7:09 am
Original Poster

Thanks, David, for the correction! It appears the app I found works similarly (although since it doesn't work, I may give the way you found a try).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.