Wiki Posts
Search

What takes Windows Update so long?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2015, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

What takes Windows Update so long?

I acquired another laptop a couple of months ago. Seemed in good shape, so I did a fresh install of Win 7, added my usual programs (Office, Adobe, etc) and put it aside.

I dragged it out today and noticed that the last update was July 20. OK, only about a month or so old, so I checked for updates.

It's been checking now for about 45 minutes. Task Manager shows almost no activity on the net, except for a burst in the beginning (probably the August Malicious Software Removal Tool, which it could figure out right away it needed).

I've noticed this on some other machines, too. There's not much there - why should it take so long to figure out I need a few updates?
Old Aug 23, 2015, 4:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
What does it say in windowsupdate.log which is found in C:\windows
Old Aug 24, 2015, 12:20 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Yeah, I've noticed Win 7 (and Server 2008) can be really slow to find updates, especially if it's a "first run" scenario or they haven't updated in a long time.

In your case, you probably need hundreds of upgrades. Not only for Windows, but it's also likely looking for the Office updates. I'd let it run overnight.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 12:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Whatever you do just don't reboot the machine and or do something silly like stop/start the Windows Update service.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HDQDD
In your case, you probably need hundreds of upgrades.
Not really ... I think about 14 including the optional ones. Remember, it was a fresh install and the big slug of updates was taken care of at that time.
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Whatever you do just don't reboot the machine and or do something silly like stop/start the Windows Update service.
Doooh!
Old Aug 24, 2015, 5:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by BigLar
Not really ... I think about 14 including the optional ones. Remember, it was a fresh install and the big slug of updates was taken care of at that time.
Doooh!
If you want, just PM me the logs and I'll take a look. That's strange that it's only for 14.

I also need the exact time stamp of when it started to download...
Old Aug 24, 2015, 7:42 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by BigLar
Doooh!
When you said "fresh install", I assumed you were installing the original RTM version. If you installed one that already had all the patches (or patched during install), then yeah, you wouldn't need all the updates.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
When it sits there looking for a long time I find that if I don't stop update, and do a restart, it will just sit there looking and looking and looking. This, for whatever reason, speeds it up. Users beware though.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HDQDD
When you said "fresh install", I assumed you were installing the original RTM version. If you installed one that already had all the patches (or patched during install), then yeah, you wouldn't need all the updates.
It was downloaded (.iso) from MS a couple of months ago. Probably up to date as of April/May 2015.

Interestingly enough, once it was all updated I tried to get Win 10. Unfortunately, like a lot of my machines, the NVIDIA video hardware is not supported. So, I got out another one that uses Intel graphics. And once again, even though it had last been updated on July 28, and didn't even have Office on it, it still looked for updates for well over an hour and I got the same updates. Hmmm.

On the bright side (I hope), I was also able to download Win 10. I was happy that my wireless connection was pumping data to me at 2 - 2.5 MBytes/sec, so the whole 2.5 Gb download was done in about 15 minutes or so. There was no hesitation, either. Like the old joke, It was "all one long strand".
Old Aug 24, 2015, 9:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by WIRunner
When it sits there looking for a long time I find that if I don't stop update, and do a restart, it will just sit there looking and looking and looking. This, for whatever reason, speeds it up. Users beware though.
It depends. If it's not truly doing anything, and you do a restart, you're golden.

But if it's downloading and it appears stuck, and you do a restart, it starts back at 0%

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.