Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

How to configure Plex for remote viewing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2015, 5:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.

I'm a long time Plex user, and it works great for streaming while I'm at home on my own home network. But for some darn reason, I cannot get the darn thing to work for remote viewing - ie, when I'm away from home on some other wifi network.

I'm not a newbie when it comes to port forwarding and DNS configuration, etc - but for the life of me, I've never been able to get Plex to be viewable on a remote network.

I've searched FT, and altho I see posts from several members who refer to how much they love Plex for remote viewing, I couldn't find any details on how to get the thing configured. Can anyone help?
Old Jul 11, 2015, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sign into Plex and check the Remote Access section under the server settings.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You shouldn't need to touch DNS or port forwarding. Just install the server, make sure the firewall isn't blocking it, and like gfunkdave said, just turn on the remote viewing option. Pretty sure you'll need the paid level to use that. Also make sure you are on the newest version.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 11:42 am

Programs: US CP, *wood Gold, Marriott gold, Hilton something
Sign in to plex.tv and you should see your server. It'll have a green or yellow indicator of its reachable.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 8:17 am

It all boils down to the router you have in front of your Plex server at home.

Some perform Unplug and Pray (shudder) translations for you, and the Plex server will self-configure the port forwarding. Less headache for the unwashed masses, but also potentially insecure.

If you have a more secure environment, your router will not do this for you automatically and you will need to tell your router to open up (usually port 32400) on your public IP address so external requests can reach your Plex server.

If you need more help, just ask. It would be helpful to know what router you are using.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
Originally Posted by ScottC
You shouldn't need to touch DNS or port forwarding. Just install the server, make sure the firewall isn't blocking it, and like gfunkdave said, just turn on the remote viewing option. Pretty sure you'll need the paid level to use that. Also make sure you are on the newest version.

I've got the paid version of Plex, firewall isn't blocking, and I can see the remote server settings, which appear properly configured. Yet remote viewing won't work. I know I'm not *supposed* to have to mess with DNS and port forwarding, but I did anyway, since nothing else was working. I completed port forwarding per the Plex instructions, but....still no luck.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by robroy90
It all boils down to the router you have in front of your Plex server at home.

Some perform Unplug and Pray (shudder) translations for you, and the Plex server will self-configure the port forwarding. Less headache for the unwashed masses, but also potentially insecure.

If you have a more secure environment, your router will not do this for you automatically and you will need to tell your router to open up (usually port 32400) on your public IP address so external requests can reach your Plex server.

If you need more help, just ask. It would be helpful to know what router you are using.
I have long suspected that you are right: that the issue is the got dang Time Warner router. But I don't know how to fix it. Oh how I pray that I get the opportunity to bow before your tech wisdom, if you can enlighten me on this matter!

My router is: Ubee U10C022-Ambit
Old Jul 13, 2015, 5:14 pm

I am not familiar with that particular router. Do you have the ability to log into it and change parameters? Is it a combined unit with the Cable Modem and Router into a single box?

If possible, it might be worth considering a more mainstream router, especially if you cannot access the configuration of your current unit.

You might also benefit from a newer router, depending on the age of it. Especially if you need better wireless range/speed.

Units from Linksys or Netgear are a good place to start.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 7:10 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Here's a good article from Plex on how to configure RA.

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/art...-Remote-Access

Originally Posted by ScottC
You shouldn't need to touch DNS or port forwarding.
False, you do need to open a port to listen for connections. By default it's 32400.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 7:13 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by thegasguru
I have long suspected that you are right: that the issue is the got dang Time Warner router. But I don't know how to fix it. Oh how I pray that I get the opportunity to bow before your tech wisdom, if you can enlighten me on this matter!

My router is: Ubee U10C022-Ambit
The first rule of fight club is to dump the TWC router. If you get your own router, you'll need to call TWC and tell them to switch your cable modem into "bridged" mode. Usually they'll also require the MAC address of your new router.

You should still be able to modify settings on the TWC router. Go to your network settings and note the gateway/default router address on your network. Then type that address into your web browser (i.e. http://192.168.1.1) and you will probably get to the routers settings page (although you may need a password to make changes).
Old Jul 14, 2015, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HDQDD
Here's a good article from Plex on how to configure RA.

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/art...-Remote-Access

False, you do need to open a port to listen for connections. By default it's 32400.
You only need to do this if your router doesn't work with uPNP - else, Plex configures the port by itself. The vast majority of consumer routers support uPNP.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
You only need to do this if your router doesn't work with uPNP - else, Plex configures the port by itself. The vast majority of consumer routers support uPNP.
UPnP is extremely dangerous. Regardless, a port still needs to be forwarded, whether it's done automatically or manually, which is what my response was pointing out.

I would highly recommend disabling UPnP on all routers. It's incredibly susceptible to RATs and allows devices to reconfigure the router without any user interaction.

Recommendation #2 would be to use something besides the default port. I can see on my firewall logs that internet peeps are always probing the default ports of common services (SSH, FTP, Telnet, IMAP, HTTP, etc.). Plex probably hasn't risen to that level of notoriety yet, but it could in the future.

https://community.rapid7.com/docs/DOC-2150

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.