Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

New Verizon Global Bundle

Old Jul 6, 15, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card

I normally use a Verizon cell phone in the US. This is a question about their plans, assuming I have all the necessary hardware to be compatible with networks abroad.

In the past when I've gone abroad, I've turned on what was then Verizon's Global Data Package. Essentially, you pay $25 and get 100MB of data to use. If you go over that, you pay another $25 for another 100MB. Not the best deal in the world, but it worked and I didn't have to deal with getting/carrying another phone around.

Planning a new trip and it seems they now have something called the "International Travel Preferred Pricing Plan" or "Global Bundle", depending on where you look. It's detailed halfway down this page: http://www.verizonwireless.com/landi...tional-travel/

According to a VZW rep, it's relatively new, just launching in early 2015. But as it was so new, she couldn't tell me many of the details, just saying I'd receive a text message when I land telling me how to call people. Yay.

So my question for FT is...Has anyone here used the $40 version of this plan yet, which includes 100 voice minutes and 100 text messages? I'd like to know whether those 100 minutes/texts can be used (without additional charge) to call/text:
1. Any number globally
2. Any number in the country where you are currently connected
3. Any number in your home country
4. Any number in the 140+ "preferred" countries
5. Some other cockamamie subset that VZW has identified

This was my primary question when I called, and one that the rep was unable to answer...
Old Jul 6, 15, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum
Based on what I see in the PDF file (here)...

1. Unsure, most likely no. Either back to the US or within the country you are located in.
2. For texts, yes. For talk minutes, most likely.
3. Yes.
4. Unsure, most likely no.
5. Most likely.
Old Jul 6, 15, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
This so called "Global Bundled" plan is really nothing new, it was available at least 3 or 4 years ago when we're still on VZW with our corporate discount plan, and I had looked into it while we're doing US-based cruises as add-on plans. With data-hungry apps & smartphone running layers in the background, it can easily - if unchecked - easily blow thru 100MB with just a few app "store" update & oops, that's another $25 plus 20% per increments (for taxes, fees & surcharges, etc.) for your client/employer's account, if you are luck enough to not pay for it out of own pocket.

Many FT's can't or won't temporary activate a non-smartphone for travel due to variety of reasons & if you think about it $250 USD for 1 GB of data, which can often be 3G or worst, 2G/Edge depending on the countries & partner arrangement (i.e. Bermuda comes to my mind) - some will do it for convenience vs. pricing, so YMMV. It wasn't that long ago, 6 or 7 years ago, that I can manage a week of calling home from overseas & find directions on Google Map with an unlocked Moto Q - using very little data ... times & things have changed, quite a bit.

We're no longer on CDMA and our primary carrier has been T-Mobile, the key question for VZW is how fast is the data speed while roaming on this global plan.

P.S. I read the PDF/linked info - nothing new, just the same old, same old re-packaged with the new name tag & priced practically same as then.

Last edited by Letitride3c; Jul 6, 15 at 7:06 pm
Old Jul 6, 15, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by pseudoswede View Post
Based on what I see in the PDF file (here)...

1. Unsure, most likely no. Either back to the US or within the country you are located in.
2. For texts, yes. For talk minutes, most likely.
3. Yes.
4. Unsure, most likely no.
5. Most likely.
Thanks. This is the same PDF/format that's been around for a while. As equally nondescript as it has been in the past. From experience, this sheet speaks more to what it is POSSIBLE to do in those countries than how much it will cost or what plan it will come from.

Originally Posted by Letitride3c View Post
This so called "Global Bundled" plan is really nothing new, it was available at least 3 or 4 years ago when we're still on VZW with our corporate discount plan, and I had looked into it while we're doing US-based cruises as add-on plans. With data-hungry apps & smartphone running layers in the background, it can easily - if unchecked - easily blow thru 100MB with just a few app "store" update & oops, that's another $25 plus 20% per increments (for taxes, fees & surcharges, etc.) for your client/employer's account, if you are luck enough to not pay for it out of own pocket.

Many FT's can't or won't temporary activate a non-smartphone for travel due to variety of reasons & if you think about it $250 USD for 1 GB of data, which can often be 3G or worst, 2G/Edge depending on the countries & partner arrangement (i.e. Bermuda comes to my mind) - some will do it for convenience vs. pricing, so YMMV. It wasn't that long ago, 6 or 7 years ago, that I can manage a week of calling home from overseas & find directions on Google Map with an unlocked Moto Q - using very little data ... times & things have changed, quite a bit.

We're no longer on CDMA and our primary carrier has been T-Mobile, the key question for VZW is how fast is the data speed while roaming on this global plan.

P.S. I read the PDF/linked info - nothing new, just the same old, same old re-packaged with the new name tag & priced practically same as then.
Perhaps you had a corporate plan that provided the bundle (I myself use a corporate discount, but we just apply it to the publicly-available plans), but the Global Bundle is somewhat new. Here's a BoardingArea blog about it being introduced: http://theforwardcabin.boardingarea....l-bundle-plan/

The old plan that you describe is data only. I've used it many, many times in the past with great success. Leveraging wifi hotspots, carefully managing your app/sync settings before leaving airplane mode, caching maps for areas you anticipate visiting, etc....just a few months ago I spend 12 days in Swizerland/France/UK checking email, browsing Yelp, and using Google Maps to my heart's content, and I stayed under the 100MB cap. In much of western Europe, the data speeds are usually a very acceptable 3G and often a nice 4G. But again, with data-sipping settings, you notice the slower speeds much less. I'd say my data needs today are more than most peoples' were 3-4 years ago, but even so I don't particularly need 4G speeds when I'm not planning to stream music/video.

But back to my question, I'm interested to know more about the VOICE part of the new plan. I fully understand how the data side works and have never had any issues with it - either functionality or pricing - but if I pay my extra $15 for voice minutes, I'd like to know whether I can use those minutes to call local numbers, which would be my primary use of them (to contact home, I'd be using Skype on wifi).
Old Jul 7, 15, 8:01 am

My business phone is on Verizon but I turn it completely off when going abroad. Fortunately I have TMO for personal use so data/text free, calls are only $0.20/minute.

For those stuck with Verizon, they do have a Global support 908 559-4899 which might be helpful?
Old Jul 7, 15, 8:36 am

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by gooselee View Post
So my question for FT is...Has anyone here used the $40 version of this plan yet, which includes 100 voice minutes and 100 text messages? I'd like to know whether those 100 minutes/texts can be used (without additional charge) to call/text:
1. Any number globally
2. Any number in the country where you are currently connected
3. Any number in your home country
4. Any number in the 140+ "preferred" countries
5. Some other cockamamie subset that VZW has identified

This was my primary question when I called, and one that the rep was unable to answer...
I used the plan on a trip last month, and, based on my limited experience, the answers to (2) and (3) are "Yes." I can't answer for 1, 4, and 5.

I called prior to my trip and the Verizon rep told me that all additional minutes after the 100 included in the $15 fee are charged at $0.25 per minute and $0.25 per text, which is still much better than their pay-as-you-go rates (and which is reflected in the small print on the web page that advertises Verizon's global plans).

I have a toggle mobile sim that I forward my phone to when I am in Europe, but there are some countries I travel to (e.g., Italy and Japan) where toggle doesn't offer either inexpensive outgoing calls or free incoming calls. This plan makes it easier to call home from those countries and easier to charge my company/clients for business-related calls.
Old Jul 7, 15, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dtsm View Post
My business phone is on Verizon but I turn it completely off when going abroad. Fortunately I have TMO for personal use so data/text free, calls are only $0.20/minute.

For those stuck with Verizon, they do have a Global support 908 559-4899 which might be helpful?
Yeah. That was the number where I got the CSR who couldn't answer the questions.

Originally Posted by Phudnik View Post
I used the plan on a trip last month, and, based on my limited experience, the answers to (2) and (3) are "Yes." I can't answer for 1, 4, and 5.

I called prior to my trip and the Verizon rep told me that all additional minutes after the 100 included in the $15 fee are charged at $0.25 per minute and $0.25 per text, which is still much better than their pay-as-you-go rates (and which is reflected in the small print on the web page that advertises Verizon's global plans).

I have a toggle mobile sim that I forward my phone to when I am in Europe, but there are some countries I travel to (e.g., Italy and Japan) where toggle doesn't offer either inexpensive outgoing calls or free incoming calls. This plan makes it easier to call home from those countries and easier to charge my company/clients for business-related calls.
Thanks! Exactly the answer I was looking/hoping for. #s 2 and 3 are pretty much all I'd need.

Now I have to figure out if I run through the minutes/text allowance, if my only option is the pay-as-you-go or if I can slap another $40 at them for another 100MB/100min/100txt (same as how you can just do another $25 for 100MB data).

Shouldn't be an issue for my trip, but might be good to know just in case.
Old Jul 7, 15, 10:05 am

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold
Now I have to figure out if I run through the minutes/text allowance, if my only option is the pay-as-you-go or if I can slap another $40 at them for another 100MB/100min/100txt (same as how you can just do another $25 for 100MB data).
If you go with the $40 plan, then after you run through your 100 minutes, additional minutes are charged at $0.25 per minute. Pricing for additional sent texts is also $0.25 per. They do not add an extra $40 or extra $15 or whatever. Additional data is charged at $25 per 100 MB.

If you know you are going to use more than 100 MB data and more than 100 minutes/texts, then there is an $85 plan that gives you 250 MB data and 250 minutes/250 sent texts ($35 for the minutes/texts on top of the $50 for 250 MB data). Details can be found by clicking the "need more data, minutes, or texts?" link on the Verizon global roaming plans page. I don't think it is possible to add this bundle without calling in, or at least I couldn't figure out how to do it on the website.

The Verizon customer service agent I talked to said that it is not possible to do a plan that gives you 250 MB data and only 100 minutes (which is what I needed), and it turned out to be less expensive just to buy an additional 100 MB of data than to buy the more expensive 250 MB/250 min/250 texts plan.

Last edited by Phudnik; Jul 7, 15 at 10:18 am
Old Jul 7, 15, 10:11 am

I had this in Mexico and Brazil. The data connection was very spotty, and horrible speeds. They say they pro-rate it, so if you're only going for a week, it's only about $10.
Old Jul 7, 15, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Phudnik View Post
If you go with the $40 plan, then after you run through your 100 minutes, additional minutes are charged at $0.25 per minute. Pricing for additional sent texts is also $0.25 per. They do not add an extra $40 or extra $15 or whatever. Additional data is charged at $25 per 100 MB.

If you know you are going to use more than 100 MB data and more than 100 minutes/texts, then there is an $85 plan that gives you 250 MB data and 250 minutes/250 sent texts ($35 for the minutes/texts on top of the $50 for 250 MB data). Details can be found by clicking the "need more data, minutes, or texts?" link on the Verizon global roaming plans page. I don't think it is possible to add this bundle without calling in, or at least I couldn't figure out how to do it on the website.

The Verizon customer service agent I talked to said that it is not possible to do a plan that gives you 250 MB data and only 100 minutes (which is what I needed), and it turned out to be less expensive just to buy an additional 100 MB of data than to buy the more expensive 250 MB/250 min/250 texts plan.
Got it. Thanks! I didn't even see that link on the website.

Originally Posted by alchemista View Post
I had this in Mexico and Brazil. The data connection was very spotty, and horrible speeds. They say they pro-rate it, so if you're only going for a week, it's only about $10.
This is true, but note that your data limits are also prorated. So if you only have the service for one week, you only get 25MB. When you return from your trip, you can assess how much data you've used, then call in and have them set the end date for some point in the future that gives you enough of a proration to cover what you've used.
Old Jul 7, 15, 10:47 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Verizon needs to come to grips, along with its roaming partners... every Starbucks and McDonalds has wifi nowadays. And inside the hotels, with usually reliable connection speeds, there is Skype etc. The $2/minute phone call and 50c text message are dinosaurs.

Anyone remember when you were a kid, and your parents called you over the home's one and only phone to speak with your aunt or grandmother, and the words that often followed were: "Hurry up, it's long distance!"

My 25-35 year old kids do not know the words "long distance" in the context of a phone call.
Old Jul 8, 15, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RobertS975 View Post
Anyone remember when you were a kid, and your parents called you over the home's one and only phone to speak with your aunt or grandmother, and the words that often followed were: "Hurry up, it's long distance!"

My 25-35 year old kids do not know the words "long distance" in the context of a phone call.
We lived just a few towns over from my grandmother, who would call, let it ring once, and hang up in order to not get charged for the call. We'd then know to call her back.
Old Jul 8, 15, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gfunkdave View Post
We lived just a few towns over from my grandmother, who would call, let it ring once, and hang up in order to not get charged for the call. We'd then know to call her back.
Back in the days when you had to very carefully count minutes, I remember having the minute beeps on my phone, and basically hanging up on people just before the next minute hit.

There were also the old Voicestream days where outbound calls counted against your minutes, but inbound calls did not. Lots of fun fighting over who would call who to meet up when you got somewhere or whatever.
Old Jul 8, 15, 11:52 am

There were also the old Voicestream days where outbound calls counted against your minutes, but inbound calls did not.
Even further back, remember when Omnipoint was the only gsm network provider available......

As far as frustrations with Verizon, they have too much market share to care about being competitive for international usage.
Old Jul 8, 15, 12:30 pm

Are you going to a region that uses gsm? e.g.. Europe. Verizon uses cdma in the US but the iPhone and many android phones also have a slot for a sim card. Verizon will usually unlock the sim part and you can buy a prepaid sim in your destination country.
I have a German sim that has good rates. I can buy 5 gigs of data for 15 euro!
I am now on Tmobile which has great international rates. My iPhone has automatic wi fi calling so I call call any phone in the US for free. Non wi fi calls are only .20 per minute.
up to 3G data is unlimited as are texts.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: