Community
Wiki Posts
Search

iMessage problems

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2015, 9:31 am
Original Poster

iMessage problems

I wonder if there's a solution to my problem with iDevices and iMessage. It's been my experience that if someone attempts to text me they will attempt it and unless I have a data source I never will get the message. I do not subscribe to a mobile data plan so if someone attempts a message to me it will never get delivered to me unless I am in a WiFi hot spot. Do I need to somehow remove myself from the iMessage server in order to receive texts from another iDevice user?
Old Apr 11, 2015, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yep, just turn off iMessage on your phone and people will start sending texts instead.

https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage
Old Apr 11, 2015, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Yep, just turn off iMessage on your phone and people will start sending texts instead.

https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage
Thanks!
Old Apr 12, 2015, 1:35 pm

But be aware that if you turn off iMessage, and someone tries to iMessage you on their iPads (without connecting to an iPhone) or if they are oversea using only iMessage, you won't get them even if you are in WiFi range.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 10:40 am

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
You bought an iPhone and you don't have a mobile data plan? 1) I didnt know that was possible from the major carriers, and 2) why? I didnt know people used their iPhones as phones still.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 12:39 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by bkafrick
You bought an iPhone and you don't have a mobile data plan? 1) I didnt know that was possible from the major carriers, and 2) why? I didnt know people used their iPhones as phones still.
Who mentioned an iPhone?
Old Apr 14, 2015, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Who mentioned an iPhone?
Considering iPads and iPods cannot receive SMS messages, what other iDevice is there?
Old Apr 14, 2015, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Who mentioned an iPhone?
Well... OP has an iDevice that could receive iMessages. OP wants to receive regular TXT when he has no data source (WiFi). Doesn't it have to be an iPhone?
Old Apr 15, 2015, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bkafrick
If you have postpaid it is not possible but if you have prepaid it is indeed possible. I don't subscribe to a data plan because I cannot afford the $30 - $70 cost per month for a data plan. For data I rely on WiFi only. If there's no WiFi I have no data.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by Need
Well... OP has an iDevice that could receive iMessages. OP wants to receive regular TXT when he has no data source (WiFi). Doesn't it have to be an iPhone?
I used iMessage on my iPod Touch until I got an iPhone. Agree the messages won't get through if you're out of wifi range. turning it off is the only solution.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 2:36 pm

Also be aware that if you turn off iMessage, people who used to iMessage you because they do not have a TXT plan may now have to pay 10 cents (or whatever) per TXT. They may not like it and stop TXT you all together and you will end up with the same result not getting any messages LOL

My family stopped including me in group txt after I switched to Android. Because I am "green" on Message App (blue if you use iMessage). And Green costs everyone in the group money.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
That's absoultely correct. I limit my "green" iMessages because they cost me .20 each.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 3:14 pm

Programs: Platinum Card Rewards
Interesting. I've never paid a dime for a green text message. But that might be because I have unlimited talk and text.
Oh and BTW the Green messages are not iMessages. they're SMS.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by Music4u
Interesting. I've never paid a dime for a green text message. But that might be because I have unlimited talk and text.
Oh and BTW the Green messages are not iMessages. they're SMS.
Yup if you have unlimited sms you don't have to pay. I think many people who got iPhone with data cut off their SMS plan or get one of the $5 for 100 SMS per month plan. It doesn't happen much now since most of the carriers are switching over to unlimited talk and txt... but a few years ago it is very common.

A green sms amount the sea blue iMessage means everyone has to pay for the 1 person who didn't have an iPhone.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 7:57 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by javabytes
Considering iPads and iPods cannot receive SMS messages, what other iDevice is there?
Actually they can. You can also get SMS (and iMessage) on OS X Yosemite. I use it all the time. However, I believe it's somehow linked to my iPhone, and I suspect it wouldn't work if I didn't have phone service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.