Advice need: IP cameras for home security

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice need: IP cameras for home security

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2016, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
This is why I like the Foscams. They allow you to choose which areas of the image trigger the motion alarms. So if I've got a camera pointed outside, I can prevent the trees from triggering the motion detection on a windy day.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 9:50 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by javabytes
This is why I like the Foscams. They allow you to choose which areas of the image trigger the motion alarms. So if I've got a camera pointed outside, I can prevent the trees from triggering the motion detection on a windy day.
I think they all do that these days.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by HDQDD
I think they all do that these days.
Evidently not, as some people still have trouble with the wind setting off false alarms, and sensitivity settings being mentioned in some posts as the mechanism to cut back on this. While sensitivity can help, being able to mark the areas that trigger motion detection is a better solution.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 3:40 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
Second the recommendation for Blueiris - a great cheap webcam solution for Home or Small Office.

I have two external cameras running in to it. My recommendation is to use a seperate SSD to act as the initial store for the streamed videos. This cured a stuttering issue I had. The system runs in the background on my desktop PC 24/7 and I don't notice it. It's useful being able to tap into the webserver anywhere in the house from another computer or tablet or phone to see who's coming up the drive or at the door.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 2:48 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by javabytes
Evidently not, as some people still have trouble with the wind setting off false alarms, and sensitivity settings being mentioned in some posts as the mechanism to cut back on this. While sensitivity can help, being able to mark the areas that trigger motion detection is a better solution.
Oh well, every Camera I've tried has had settable motion areas. I'm sure there are other models that don't, but I think it's a pretty basic function on an IP camera. Hikvisions even allow you to set lines and set which way across the line (or both) you want a notification for. I've found that to be much better than the settable monitored area, at least where I live, as we have insects/spiders that seem to like the infrared light.

For the storage of footage, for those of you that have QNAP NASes, I've been quite happy with their built-in surveillance station app. Even paid for an extra license when I went over my allotment. I can real time stream to my phone or tablet (over my VPN). Ah, fiber internet is great.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 8:44 pm
formerly PHLGrump

Ring.com
Old Feb 15, 2016, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by dcperilli
Ring.com
I mentioned this above and the newly discovered issue with it.
Originally Posted by Jimmie76
Originally Posted by Jimmie76
ScottC was fairly keen on Ring a while back http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...7868-ring.html but cheap it ain't.
And now it would appear Ring is under the security spotlight for revealing your wifi details.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/01...i_credentials/
Old Feb 15, 2016, 2:02 pm

Security cameras are essential, but they basically just record the crime.

I supplement them with deterrence. My baby grand piano in the living room has player piano function. I use a Logitech Harmony universal remote and program it to turn on the piano and play random songs at random times through out the day to simulate someone being home. Some of the songs sound like someone is actually sitting there playing because, well, I recorded it myself... along with mistakes. I also alternate that to fire up the TVs, ceiling fans and lights around the house. The two large windows in the front also have power blinds that are triggered by the same remote control. They open/close a few times randoms...again, to simulate someone being inside the house Most thieves would stay away from house that appear to have people inside. Last, but not least, is the dog barking machine that I bought from the Sharper Image many years ago, which makes loud dog barking noises when someone is approaching my front door.

My car's security system also allows me to do remote engine start from my phone. My garage is full, so that car sits in the driveway. Yes, you guessed it.. when I'm not home, I randomly use my iPhone to turn on the engine and let it run for a few minutes each day. The headlights also turn on when the engine is running. The car radio's volume is usually left in the very loud setting. (which should keep would-be thieves away and also keep the engine lubricated regularly) This is especially useful in the winter, when the exhaust steam makes it look like someone is either in the car or nearby.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.