Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice need: IP cameras for home security

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:34 am
uk1
Suspended

This is what we do over two homes. It is perfect for us .... and has been working for at least 10 years. No monthly subs, no one else involved, really simple, see everything happening on portable and ipad live and any activity recorded and alerted .. and using pure plugnplay ip cams. Two posts on the same kit in case one includes something the other doesn't.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22599013-post7.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19263871-post7.html

These are the products we have been using.

Starvedia
Old Feb 23, 2015, 12:54 pm
Formerly known as billinaz

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
I have a wifi setup on cameras for just the same reason.

I got several foscam and dlink cameras when they went on sale (and they do quite frequently).

I watched slickdeals and techbargains on my twitter feed to alert me on the deals.

Then I use blue iris for the managing of the alerts and storage of the movement the cameras detect. I get emails with still shots as well as a clip of the motion. I save the files to my home computer. (blueirissoftware.com)

My next house will have POE cameras, but until then these work great (all 25 of them)
Old Feb 23, 2015, 1:00 pm
Formerly known as billinaz

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Dropcam satisfies all your requirements.
Except storage and sending clips (not photos).

You get to pay for that privilege with dropcam where other options youc an do at no monthly cost.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 5:59 am
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
I looked for many alternatives - went with Dropcam
Old Jan 7, 2016, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Slightly different set up needed

We have a couple of elderly relatives who we would like to install a camera for. It needs to work ideally streaming to a browser via wifi but specifically not the net so options with a cloud account won't work. So I can just install a bookmark on their browser to that IP address (probably on android although would prefer no apps to keep things simple) and up pops a video stream. What I planned to do was buy a camera from a reputable manufacturer and connect that to a router which the spare tablet they have can be used to watch on. Doesn't have to be an outdoor model but tilt and pan would be nice (although not essential). They are paranoid about the web spying on them and also the broadband at their house (in the middle of nowhere) was so unreliable that they don't bother with that anymore.

Basically it will be used for watching the garden and also to know who is at the door before deciding whether to bother to answer it. Does anyone have any unconnected [to the net] solutions? My last experience with these things was back in the dark ages and things have moved on a bit since then - Are Foscam any good for this?
Old Jan 7, 2016, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Foscam makes a line of cheap IP/wifi cameras that do this. I use one to keep an eye on the cat when I'm out of town. Woot.com and Slickdeals periodically have them on sale. Others too, probably.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Foscam makes a line of cheap IP/wifi cameras that do this. I use one to keep an eye on the cat when I'm out of town. Woot.com and Slickdeals periodically have them on sale. Others too, probably.
Thanks I'll keep a lookout (obviously no pun was intended there). When I looked on Amazon the reviews said Motorola needs the Hubble app and internet access which wouldn't work there. Another one allegedly actually downloads spyware which allows others to watch through your camera, creepy - unless you like that sort of thing .
Old Jan 7, 2016, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jimmie76
Thanks I'll keep a lookout (obviously no pun was intended there). When I looked on Amazon the reviews said Motorola needs the Hubble app and internet access which wouldn't work there. Another one allegedly actually downloads spyware which allows others to watch through your camera, creepy - unless you like that sort of thing .
Nah, the Foscam ones (at least, the one I have) has the ability to do dynamic DNS and connect over the internet but you don't have to do any of that. I use it strictly on my local network. If I'm away I VPN in to connect.

This is the one I have - Amazon has a bunch of others if you search "IP Camera".

http://amzn.com/B006ZP8UOW

Looks like they have an app but I usually just use a web browser.

Another idea: if they want to see who's at the door you could get a wifi doorbell for them. They have a camera in them whose feed can be viewed with the app. Not sure if you need to connect them to the internet for it to work.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nah, the Foscam ones (at least, the one I have) has the ability to do dynamic DNS and connect over the internet but you don't have to do any of that. I use it strictly on my local network. If I'm away I VPN in to connect.

This is the one I have - Amazon has a bunch of others if you search "IP Camera".

Another idea: if they want to see who's at the door you could get a wifi doorbell for them. They have a camera in them whose feed can be viewed with the app. Not sure if you need to connect them to the internet for it to work.
Did look at the wifi doorbell as an option and I know ScottC posted a very nice looking one a while ago. When this was suggested as a solution however it got a less than warm reception as they wouldn't be able to "see the garden (don't ask very long story) as well as we would with a real camera". Sticking a camera in a particular window would allow both a view of the door, pathway to the door and also the garden.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 11:11 am

I have the newer model with the "P" at the end of the model number. The "P" model is plug and play and you don't have to do any setup at all. Just

1) Download the app
2) Scan the QR code at the bottom of the camera
3) Plug the camera in and you are good to go!

I don't have to open any port or do any router settings. It is so easy. The only problem with it is that the motion sensor is very sensitive. Every time it rains, I get way too many notification emails and I have to turn it off. So hopefully no one will try to break into my house during a rain storm.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 12:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
DCS933L

http://us.dlink.com/products/connect...mera-dcs-933l/
Old Jan 7, 2016, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jimmie76
We have a couple of elderly relatives who we would like to install a camera for. It needs to work ideally streaming to a browser via wifi but specifically not the net so options with a cloud account won't work. So I can just install a bookmark on their browser to that IP address (probably on android although would prefer no apps to keep things simple) and up pops a video stream. What I planned to do was buy a camera from a reputable manufacturer and connect that to a router which the spare tablet they have can be used to watch on. Doesn't have to be an outdoor model but tilt and pan would be nice (although not essential). They are paranoid about the web spying on them and also the broadband at their house (in the middle of nowhere) was so unreliable that they don't bother with that anymore.

Basically it will be used for watching the garden and also to know who is at the door before deciding whether to bother to answer it. Does anyone have any unconnected [to the net] solutions? My last experience with these things was back in the dark ages and things have moved on a bit since then - Are Foscam any good for this?
Yeah, I've been thinking along the same lines--a who-is-at-the-door camera. I really would like something that's a flat box rather than the traditional look of a camera. No reason for tilt & pan.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Recently added an extra IR/Wifi-ethernet Cam to our 10 years old hard-wired home security camera system in the house - another generic brand to Foscam,http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=1290651644010

IR range is 30+ feet in total darkness (running in our basement, in white & high on the wall, sandwiched between curtains) with 11 LED's, pan/tilt & zoom in/out with 2 way audio & motion sensing/alarm (not using those, however) and surprisingly affordable, installation was easy & simple - in 720p resolution (inexpensive ones are 360p) and support mSD card (up to 32GB) recording in a continuous loop - in addition to real-time & remote monitoring (dynamic DNS, if enabled.) App works better on - touchscreen control - Android (vs. iOS) - but, instead of using WiFi, run ours via powerline ethernet into the router upstairs.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Not great reviews on Amazon, and only VGA.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Yeah, I've been thinking along the same lines--a who-is-at-the-door camera. I really would like something that's a flat box rather than the traditional look of a camera. No reason for tilt & pan.
ScottC was fairly keen on Ring a while back http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...7868-ring.html but cheap it ain't.

Last edited by Jimmie76; Jan 8, 2016 at 9:47 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.