Reload this Page >

Android Location History

Android Location History

Old Sep 23, 2014, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL-Plat, Plat Ambassador, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Android Location History

https://maps.google.com/locationhistory/b/0

In case you forgot what day and time you went to visit Aunt Matilda....

Good be good

or a very bad thing

Old Sep 23, 2014, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Don't take your phone if you're going somewhere you wouldn't want anyone to know about...
Old Sep 23, 2014, 9:03 pm

Programs: CO OnePass; AAdvantage Dirt; IHG Priority Club Plat; Hyatt Plat; Marriott Gold; Avis PresPref;
Hmmmm...

Just logged in and asked for a 30 day history, got "You have no location history from August 20, 2014 to September 18, 2014"

Do I no longer exist and just not realize it?
Old Sep 23, 2014, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by SRQ Guy
Don't take your phone if you're going somewhere you wouldn't want anyone to know about...
This has always been true. The carriers need to know where to deliver the call to.

You would be amazed if you saw the level of detail that each voice call carried... and that was back in the AMPS/TDMA days, the move to data capable digital services made it that much more accurate.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 1:38 am

Originally Posted by SeamusSA
Do I no longer exist and just not realize it?
Welcome to the cloud. You now exist everywhere and your specific location is meaningless. That's why we've deleted your location history.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 3:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL-Plat, Plat Ambassador, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
I found it amazing how accurate it was. For example, it told me which restaurant I was in last Monday and then had me walking (yep) to a shop down the street to a store, walling back to my car, then said I switched to driving (true) over to CVS, how many minutes and seconds it took me to buy ??? and then driving to the hospital. This is just one hour.

I am currently in a city 3000 miles from where people think I am, but google knows the truth
Old Sep 24, 2014, 5:29 am

Programs: *G
i had to turn it on, otherwise when i log onto maps.google.com it centers the map to the USA rather than my true location or my pre-saved "Home" destination.... small individual annoyance but cumulatively big annoyance because i use it so often
Old Sep 24, 2014, 5:38 am

Android is a security hazard.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by haryanvi
Not as bad as iCloud these days....
Old Sep 24, 2014, 7:13 am

If you use Google Now, it will show you estimate time with current traffic condition to get to place you visited often. It was kind of creepy when I first used it 2 years ago, but now it is just normal.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Need
If you use Google Now, it will show you estimate time with current traffic condition to get to place you visited often. It was kind of creepy when I first used it 2 years ago, but now it is just normal.
Agreed, 100%. It weirded me out at first, but now it's just good info.

It even tells me how long it will take to get to work including the stop at my kid's day care.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NC_Girl
I found it amazing how accurate it was. For example, it told me which restaurant I was in last Monday and then had me walking (yep) to a shop down the street to a store, walling back to my car, then said I switched to driving (true) over to CVS, how many minutes and seconds it took me to buy ??? and then driving to the hospital. This is just one hour.

I am currently in a city 3000 miles from where people think I am, but google knows the truth
Resistance is futile.

Oh, and:

Old Sep 24, 2014, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by haryanvi
It really is, if you're trying to hide your whereabouts.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 9:31 am

BTW, it is not exactly an Android thing. It is just a Google Location Reporting thing. You could install Google+ or Google App on iOS and turn on Google Location Reporting too. It will do the same thing. The only difference is Google+ is built into Android, but you could always turn Location Reporting off.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 10:19 am

I just retraced my steps on my summer vacation at Hawaii, Japan, and Korea. Other then that, my life is pretty boring.. home, work, home, work....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.