Reload this Page >

Kenu Smart Phone Air Vent Clip

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kenu Smart Phone Air Vent Clip

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2014, 8:19 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Originally Posted by dtsm
... How did this version compare with ver 1. in terms of size and snugness of fit. My ver 1 is considerable larger than the Kenu ...
Frankly, I had no idea what revision or variant mine is, I ordered a black one but obviously, it wasn't but heck for $3, not a big deal for rental car use - left behind enough car chargers & cords, etc. behind while in a hurry to catch the shuttle for flights.

Additional comment - it's really not much bigger, if at all, than the "original" Kenu at the mall. Plastic has a cheap look/feel to it, especially on the back side (obviously, what can one expect - LOL) but the springs are strong & should hold up well for light & occassional use, and it held both the 4" Moto Atrix 4G (spare & secondary travel use, loaded with offline GPS Maps/Nav) and 5" Nexus 5 firmly in place. This bargain priced clip seemed to hold on firmly to the car's vent and not slipping - let's see over time how it will perform. So far, smartphone hasn't been dropped and/or flown off the holder while doing quick turns, stops & other "ordinary" maneuvers on the rough streets of NYC and its highway.

When I wanted to take the smartphone off the holder, the entire package come off/slip off the vent instead - I can't imagine the Kenu doing that ?? as I don't own one. But, for rental car usage, this is fine & inline with keeping a low "ninja" profile - no giveaway signs of mobile electronics being use while parked. It's flatten against the car's vent (Honda CRV as pictured here) but it does blocked 80 to 90% of the air flow coming out. Viewing angle isn't optimal & reflective glare/sunlight could be a problem - mounting it lower on the car vent should help & also provide better airflow when AC is in use. My regular CD-mounted smartphone holder is seen on the right, it extends further out & puts them within easier reach (not recommend to fuzz with while moving/driving behind the wheels, of course ...)

All these for less than the price of a Starbuck latte, why not. Any other questions or wanted to know questions, please feel free to ask.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 10:49 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Does the Kenu let you tilt the phone screen forward?

My vents are angled so the screen would be angled if there was no ability to tilt the top of the screen up. Then sunlight could be an issue.

This one seems to let you tilt on angled vents:

http://www.amazon.com/Koomus-Air-Ven...3MZCFWF3DPTNC2

Kenu has a phablet one for up to 6 inch screens for $5 more.

They need one that can go up to a small tablet.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 7:01 am
Original Poster

No. It doesn't permit you to tilt your device other than by using the tilt attached to the vent. Why I like it is is that it is very small, pieces don't fall off, it and it reliably holds the phone. I had a number of other devices before it and I had a problem with pieces falling off in my carry-on, the device needed to be packed in a second container, etc. The Kenu is so small that I just leave it in my travel bag and don't worry about whether I am renting car, don't say no -- I know city X, etc.

Incidentally, there are more copies up on Aliexpress. I've seen a number of second generation copies for under $5 (some with free shipping). Here is one example:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Car-A...036437597.html

Last edited by Dubai Stu; Sep 7, 2014 at 11:42 am
Old Sep 7, 2014, 9:31 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Thanks I'll try it anyways. I guess that's the tradeoff for ultimate portability, limited features.

It should be much easier to pack (of course easier to lose) than a suction cup mount that I had been planning, which tends to come apart unless all the adjustment screws are tightened.

Will try it on a rental car next week.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 11:35 am
Original Poster

That's why I buy a spare or two.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.