Wiki Posts
Search

Kenu Smart Phone Air Vent Clip

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2014, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by YYZC2
I have fond memories of leafing through binders full of software box covers at the Golden Computer Arcade in the early 2000's... I can still smell the freshly burnt CD-Rs
It is still where the action is. But all the product has more legitimacy to them.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

I enjoy all those "MacBook Airs" running the latest version of Windows on them, some with touch screens.

=========

I drove around with the imitation clip today and it gets the job done, but you can tell the difference. It doesn't seem to hold the phone as good and the rubber and square tip holding the phone came off but was easily reattached. I would suggest a drop of crazy glue ahead of time to deal with that issue.

When I first snapped it on, and tried to turn the clip, it felt like it could break the vent. I took it off, rotated the ratchet part of the clip and reattached it and it was fine, and could be rotated when attached in the new position.

Taking the phone off and on while driving wasn't as smooth. Conversely, it held my phone a little better in the Mophie case than the genuine product.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

Update: It looks like version 2.0 of the Chinese copies is hitting the market:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Portable-Air...item4ad86e6295
Old Jul 17, 2014, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by Dubai Stu

Premium price over version 1.0.

OT, my second order for version 1 hasn't arrived yet but interesting enough the eBay seller said if not received after 30 days, would issue refund [$2..61]. I wonder if the same supplier?
Old Jul 17, 2014, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looking more and more like the original.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 9:46 am
Original Poster

I agree that the price difference isn't worth it, but we know in a month or two that the price for imitation 2.0 will fall. I have one original and bought a few knock offs. Imitation 1.0 isn't bad, but it is larger, and moves around more than the genuine.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Originally Posted by dtsm
Premium price over version 1.0.
... version 2.0 of the Chinese copies is hitting the market:
Here's a quick pictorial review - ordered v2.12 (LOL) from this HKG-based eBay seller recently & it took less about 10 calendar days for USPS to drop in our mailbox. Been trying it out in the Honda, looks fine & worked as designed - doubled as a mini-stand for the Nexus 5 (seen below) to watch Youtube. Flat against the air vent, it doesn't move around much & perfect for rental car - going into the gadget pouch along with the usb car charger, even if it break or I forget to remove it, not a big deal at $3.05 USD shipped.

A reasonable clone that's obviously different than the original (which I've seen & compared to @ a local retail store) Not bad (and, it also works with the old 4.3" Garmin GPS in retirement ... )

As for the CD slot mount, it's been holding up well & using it on a regular basis - had to tighten the adjustment knob every so often due to temperature changes. If this compact air vent mount is solid enough, maybe I will use it on a regular basis instead - as long as it doesn't "damage" the vent. It does nearly blocked air flow coming out of that vent, which is a no no for the summer months for me.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 6:54 am
Original Poster

I bought a couple of Eson Airframe for $7

http://smile.amazon.com/Portable-Adj...words=airframe

They have't arrived yet, but I'll report back. I had the 1.0 and they are pretty good, but I was curious and for $7 could be the big spender. I have a genuine Kensu in my car, a clone in my wife's (she doesn't use the clips so it is only there for when I am driving her car) and another for rental cars.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 10:35 am

Programs: UA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold

They have't arrived yet, but I'll report back. I had the 1.0 and they are pretty good, but I was curious and for $7 could be the big spender. I have a genuine Kensu in my car, a clone in my wife's (she doesn't use the clips so it is only there for when I am driving her car) and another for rental cars.
Looks exactly like the Kenu! I have the Kenu original, would be interested in buying this clone as a backup and for my wife's car
Old Sep 5, 2014, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by Chutney
Looks exactly like the Kenu! I have the Kenu original, would be interested in buying this clone as a backup and for my wife's car
FYI - standard shipping estimate to be 17-28 business days!

Wow, did Kenu not protect their design with a patent? Or did they use a "seedy" factory in China
See, e.g., http://smile.amazon.com/Car-Mount-Un...MBXM7XK868MN7R

$10, but with free Prime shipping.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by Letitride3c
Here's a quick pictorial review - ordered v2.12 (LOL) from this HKG-based eBay seller recently & it took less about 10 calendar days for USPS to drop in our mailbox.
Nice report. How did this version compare with ver 1. in terms of size and snugness of fit. My ver 1 is considerable larger than the Kenu.

This model looks closer in design to Kenu and look forward to your update.

Thanks to both.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LAXative
FYI - standard shipping estimate to be 17-28 business days!

Wow, did Kenu not protect their design with a patent? Or did they use a "seedy" factory in China
See, e.g., http://smile.amazon.com/Car-Mount-Un...MBXM7XK868MN7R

$10, but with free Prime shipping.
The concept of patent is great.

The cost of getting the patent is not cheap, to fight a patent infringement case costly and collecting on judgement on the knockoff is not worth the cost.

I know someone who spent around $3,000,000 to fight a patent infringement in court and went bankrupted during the process. The law firm took the settlement from the infringement as settlement for his outstanding account.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 10:43 pm
Original Poster

Kenu's website says "patent pending."
Old Sep 5, 2014, 11:40 pm

Kenu opened the door to this .. their pricing was pretty high IMO.

I have 2 Kenu's, but I wouldn't hesitate to try a clone.

-David
Old Sep 6, 2014, 6:26 am

Programs: Delta DM MM, American EXP
I picked up a Kenu last weekend at the Apple store while having my battery replaced. Price IS high for something so small but quality, design and functionality are worth it in my opinion. I have pi$$ed away ~$100 trying to find that ideal phone holder that is easy to use, doesn't take up windshield or cup holder space and portable from car to car. Pro clip! suction cups! cig lighter stalk, etc... All made it about 1 week before going into the trash or back to the store. This one is a keeper and plan to order 2 more. I need another airframe for my travel gadget bag and the wife's car. This design is my fix!

I am curious about the clones. Reviews are spotty so far on amazon but for $7 I'm game to try.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.