Reload this Page >

2014: Favorite iOS/iPad/iPhone Apps

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2014: Favorite iOS/iPad/iPhone Apps

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2014, 8:38 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Sorry, don't know. I have never been able to figure out how to have my iMessages on the iPad be in sync with my iPhone's messages.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cblaisd
Sorry, don't know. I have never been able to figure out how to have my iMessages on the iPad be in sync with my iPhone's messages.
I have wondered about how to make this work as well.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
It allows you to use control your IM app on the iPhone from your computer. I type a whole lot better on my computer than on my phone.
But that's what the iMessage app is for on the Mac. You type it on your computer. And this app you referenced is just a wrapper that I cannot see the use for. "Remote Messages is a browser based front-end for the iOS Messages application."
Old Jan 29, 2014, 10:34 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stimpy
But that's what the iMessage app is for on the Mac.
What is this "Mac" of which you speak?

http://techmarketingbuffalo.com/imes...th-free-trick/
Old Jan 29, 2014, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What is this "Mac" of which you speak?
OK, if you wanted to do iMessage from Windows, you should have perhaps said that in the first place. That's why your post was confusing to me. You had said messages from your computer. And on my computer, which is made by Apple, it has always worked fine.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 11:31 am
Original Poster

You're welcome to the last word here. I'm happy with the app. Carry on.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by wco81
Yeah I know the Android version lets you download tiles and save them to a local cache.

But I often find that the Telecom Italia SIM provides faster and more reliable connections than many hotel "broadband" connections.

Just found out this morning that Google Maps has some integration with the desktop version. You can't load your custom Google Maps but you can mark locations or POIs you find on the desktop as a starred location and those appear instantly on the iPhone app.

You have to be logged into both the mobile and desktop Maps with your Google account though.

I would expect that Google maps will find more places, like little hotels or rental car offices. OTOH, Siri and lock screen mode are advantages for Apple Maps.

I am wanting to use Google Maps, Waze or whatever to show which
are the busier streets in a town.

I use the 'traffic' feature in Google Maps but am hoping to learn
which are the most travelled streets on a 24/7 basis. Not just
commute times.

Any ideas?
Old Jan 29, 2014, 9:23 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Update - iOS 7.0.5 is OUT today, fix issues for iP5s & iP5c sold in China

... 98% of my old Cydia apps are working ... my iPhone 4S is running faster on ios 7 than it did on 6.
Just a FYI while on iPhones & JB for those still debating on whether to do it to 7.0.4 - as posted by iClarified & others (not sure if this news warrant a new thread on its own)

"Apple has just released iOS 7.0.5 via Software Update to resolve network provisioning issues for some iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c models sold in China."
link to the new - http://www.iclarified.com/37917/appl...e-5s-iphone-5c

Okay #evasi0n7 still works in iPhone 5s at 7.0.5 (with an available patch) - otherwise, Apple is still signing 7.0.4 - but time is running short & running out, for those who hasn't JB their devices

Have the newer iPad Mini & "older" iPad2 (both WiFi models) JB'd on 7.0.4 with the latest tool, and running nicely - Cydia & Installer, etc. updated. Otherwise, it could be a long wait for the next JB solution.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by Letitride3c
Have the newer iPad Mini & "older" iPad2 (both WiFi models) JB'd on 7.0.4 with the latest tool, and running nicely - Cydia & Installer, etc. updated. Otherwise, it could be a long wait for the next JB solution.
With the 7.0.5 'update', I finally JB'd my 5s yesterday and got cydia, selected old and some new tweaks up and running smoothly. I sat on the fence for a few weeks waiting for Saurik and others to catch up to evasi0n7....

As Letitride points out, hurry before it's too late!
Old Jan 31, 2014, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dtsm
With the 7.0.5 'update', I finally JB'd my 5s yesterday and got cydia, selected old and some new tweaks up and running smoothly. I sat on the fence for a few weeks waiting for Saurik and others to catch up to evasi0n7....

As Letitride points out, hurry before it's too late!
I haven't jailbroken my 5S yet. Other than free app's are there any other benefits now? I used to do it for the control center and facetime over 3G but that's available as standard now anyway.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

does jailbreaking affect any of the ease of use or operations on the iphone? Thanks
Old Jan 31, 2014, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by onlysuites
I haven't jailbroken my 5S yet. Other than free app's are there any other benefits now? I used to do it for the control center and facetime over 3G but that's available as standard now anyway.
Yeah, JB was very useful in the past, but Apple finally has most of the useful tweaks working in standard iOS now. But if you are a geek, there are still apps that Apple doesn't let us use. Apps that give you detailed RF statistics for instance. I have an old JB'ed iPhone 3GS that I keep around if I need to measure RF from cell towers and plot the radios on Apple maps, or the same for WiFi.

The other big restriction with iOS is the sandbox architecture. One app cannot talk to another app. This prevents you from using attachments with Mail. That's a much more noticeable problem now that we have Google Drive on the iPhone. I have all those docs on Drive that I cannot attach to a mail. That might push me to JB my new iPhone 5S.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by richard
does jailbreaking affect any of the ease of use or operations on the iphone? Thanks
I've never had a problem. But of course when you JB your phone you now have the ability to really screw it up if you don't know what you are doing.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stimpy
Yeah, JB was very useful in the past, but Apple finally has most of the useful tweaks working in standard iOS now..
While that is much more true than it used to be, the ability to tether when you need it via a couple of proven Cydia apps is THE reason I jailbreak.

Remote Messages has been a second happily-discovered reason in the past few days. I would have gladly paid three times the price for it!
Old Jan 31, 2014, 3:41 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Originally Posted by richard
does jailbreaking affect any of the ease of use or operations on the iphone?
Generally, it does not negatively affect device usage, not for us. Over 90% of the Apps are stock & from the Store - advantage is that I gain full access to root, with iFile - to manage many file types stored, copy, rename & move them, etc. without launching iTunes. More & better control or tweaking of the home screen, etc. - basically, more options & choices "outside the box" assuming you know what you are doing & accept the risks.

Otherwise, still watching CNN LiveTV and logged into Fios Mobile to stream-watch remotely HBO that we subscribe to, (not Flex content) etc. JB'd one of SIL's new iPad Air & she didn't realized till I explained to her while migrating her files (tons of pix & videos) from her iPad original that was staggering on iOS 4 w. a cracked screen - she's running it stock as is on 7.0.4

If you do JB it now: it is an option and if you don't like it or doesn't get along with your device, "restore" it to factory stock easily & everything get wiped clean. Once iOS 7.1 is released (due out anytime now ...) as 7.0.5 is aimed at the China only, you won't be able to JB - not for a long time. It has taken the geeks a long time since 7.0 came out to find a way to do untethered JB - there will be even fewer backdoors to the next edition/release for them to find.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.