Wiki Posts
Search

Desktop Google Voice Won't Dial Out

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2013, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Question Desktop Google Voice Won't Dial Out

Desktop Google Voice Won't Dial Out

Several years ago I set up a Google Voice number, used it a few times to make calls, gave it out as my phone number for texts, … rarely use it, but ...

Since then, I've switched to Comcast cable internet, Ooma VOIP phone basic service, home network wireless, and today I'm finding I can't dial out from my desktop computer with GV. I can receive and I can text but I can't voice call.

I looked on the Comcast, Ooma and Google forums and don't find answers. You here are the best tech people I know, so …

I wonder about:

I have one Gmail address linked to Google + and several others not so linked. The e address associated with the phone number is not registered at Google + (and I don't want it to be). (If it would make a difference and if I knew how, I could move the phone number to the Google+ address.)

Comcast changed ports a while ago and I had to adjust my email program. Is there some other kind of setting I have to change?

Do I have to be an Ooma premier member for this to work?

Am I over thinking?

Ideas?

Sylvia
Old Nov 15, 2013, 1:21 pm

I'm not familar with "Desktop Google Voice" - is that an application you download for a computer?

From my computer, I always use GV via my firefox browser by logging into: https://www.google.com/voice and signing on with gmail account. Or through my iPhone or iPad, via the google voice app[s].

In fact I have multiple gmail accounts with corresponding GV numbers. I use it via the browser regularly at home, office, on the road, including overseas without problems.

Hope this helps a little.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I think that OP is talking about this? http://www.ooma.com/app/support/google-voice-extensions
Old Nov 15, 2013, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
I also have a Google Voice account, do not have GooglePlus, and use Ooma basic for my home landline. (Not comcast).

I haven't used GV in quite a while, but I just tried going to the web site on my PC, and initiating a call, and it worked fine.

I'm finding I can't dial out from my desktop computer with GV. I can receive and I can text but I can't voice call.
What exactly happens when you try?
Old Nov 15, 2013, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott Gold
If you log into your Gmail account that is linked with your Google Voice account, you can dial out from the area just above your contact in the lower left.

There is a button that looks like a phone. Clicking this opens a dialer in the same screen.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. I have it working now - part of the problem is that I was confusing Google Talk and Google Voice and trying to 'dial' from Talk instead of Home. I just tested and everything now works.

Sylvia

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.