Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Blackberry Announcement this Week

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: What's the best option for a keyboard loving Palm Treophile?
BlackBerry Q10 - It's the best QWERTY out there, and worth it even if BlackBerry dies.
36.67%
BlackBerry Bold - You obviously like old phones, so try an old Blackberry first.
13.33%
Motorola Admiral - Use the keyboard to learn a viable OS, later adapt to touchscreen typingl
0%
Windows Phone – Treo Pro uses Windows Mobile, so move to a touchscreen in a familiar ecosystem.
6.67%
Galaxy or iPhone - Get over it already!
46.67%
Other - leave a note in the thread, and I'll create new options if you have suggestions.
3.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Blackberry Announcement this Week

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2013, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I'm sure RIM would love to sell their devices at cost and recoup profits through their app store--if they actually had apps to sell.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 11:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by GAC
but let's face it, it's over Johnny.
Ya' think?

Actually, it's been over for quite a long time...

Regards
Old Oct 1, 2013, 12:15 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Q10 or 9930. I have had my HTC One for over a month now, and as much as I love all the apps, I really do not need any of them. Androids (and I'm sure iPhones too) are great toys, but Blackberry remains the best phone.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by agp423
Q10 or 9930. I have had my HTC One for over a month now, and as much as I love all the apps, I really do not need any of them. Androids (and I'm sure iPhones too) are great toys, but Blackberry remains the best phone.
Well, the fundamental problem, from a business perspective, is that clearly there are not even remotely enough customers who believe as you believe...

Regards
Old Oct 3, 2013, 2:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Have had my 9810 for over two years and a Bold two years before that. I'm annoyed AS doesn't have a BB app anymore but sometime would like to upgrade to a Q10. Z10 had a lot of flash but no keyboard
Old Oct 3, 2013, 4:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold since '02, Hertz President's Circle since '07
"Now the only future for the company is to get smaller and smaller until there's nothing left. In fact, the only sensible conversation to have ... is the one in which you argue about how long it will take to die."
-- Stewart Alsop, Forbes Magazine

Oh, wait. He was talking about Apple in February of 1997.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by Rut Dog
"Now the only future for the company is to get smaller and smaller until there's nothing left. In fact, the only sensible conversation to have ... is the one in which you argue about how long it will take to die."
-- Stewart Alsop, Forbes Magazine

Oh, wait. He was talking about Apple in February of 1997.
Are you even moderately implying that you believe Blackberry would/could become the next Apple? Seriously?

And just to be clear, your returning "savior" would be Mike Lazaridis, one of the folks who helped fly the airplane directly into the ground to begin with? Or "The Canadian Warren Buffet" who apparently knows nothing about technology, but has a great reinsurance business? Again, seriously?

Blackberry will be an MBA case study for years to come, but I seriously doubt it will be because they became "the next Apple"

Regards
Old Oct 3, 2013, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rut Dog
I wonder why none of the coverage this past week has mentioned price point? At $200 subsidized, the Q10 is forced to compete with top selling iPhones and Samsungs.

If you have cash to burn (BlackBerry does) and are desperate for market share, why not slash the price? Sales would surge if BlackBerry gave away phones for the next 3 months, through Christmas.

I know it isn't sustainable, but neither is BlackBerry at this price point. Slash now, grow market share, develop alternate revenue streams (apps!), raise price with growing demand.
Problem is, even at very cheap (or free) people still don't want these things.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 7:11 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Just got the Q10 yesterday. I have to say, it feels nowhere as nice as my old Bold 9930. It feels just plasticky and flimsy, especially after having used the HTC One for a month and the 9930 for the two years before that.

Originally Posted by scubadu
Well, the fundamental problem, from a business perspective, is that clearly there are not even remotely enough customers who believe as you believe...

Regards
Well, the fundamental problem behind that is people want to watch movies and TV shows on their phones... Why can't people watch those TV stuff on their TV, or computer, or tablet. Why do they have to catch up on Scrubs while riding on a bus? Can't it wait? And what's the pleasure behind straining your eyes watching a TV show on a screen the size of your hand?
Old Oct 4, 2013, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by agp423
Well, the fundamental problem behind that is people want to watch movies and TV shows on their phones...
Do they really want to do that or is that just the marketrids talking?
Old Oct 4, 2013, 8:01 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Whatever the reason is, it's working, and I don't like it. Even older folks are smart phones sized like a frying pan, and they clearly state that they either:

1. Don't need all the apps, and only need to use the phone for the functions of a phone.

or

2. Have no idea how to use it for anything other than call and text.

And by older folks I mean folks older than me. I'm in my 20s.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 11:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Are you even moderately implying that you believe Blackberry would/could become the next Apple? Seriously?
That would be awesome if Blackberry were to 'rise like the phoenix' and smash Apple's iphone sales

Do I see it happening? No. But it would be sooo funny
Old Oct 5, 2013, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Blackberry would be dead tomorrow if Samsung, LG, HTC, or Motorola came out with a good, polished, high end Android handset with a great QWERTY keyboard in portrait format.

Inasmuch as they have so far miserably failed to offer anything that isn't cheap and miserable, I cling to my Blackberry.

I've had a full Android touchscreen phone (Atrix) and slider (Droid 4), and tried a couple of the QWERTY Androids to boot (Droid PRO and HTC ChaCha / Status). Every one of those I have loved so much, have been so unwilling to separate from, that I replaced them with a Blackberry without waiting for my contract to be up for renewal at full retail price. THAT's how great they were....

So, I'm going to say Blackberry will continue to own the portrait QWERTY market and inasmuch as they are a company still sitting on a pile of cash and no debt, and there is likelihood of a management shakeup coming our way, I'm not going to write them off just yet no matter how dismal things are right now. I have no choice but to be optimistic because there just aren't any other suitable replacements.

I actually prefer some things about my BB9930 to my Q10. The data usage when roaming is roughly 1/3 due to BES compression. I like having the menu keys, dial / hangup keys, back key, and trackpad. But - the OS is very dated and there was no good application for Google Voice since Google killed theirs off. The Q10 was great for being able to side-load a few key Android apps on to the phone (Google Voice, TripIt, Google Maps, Google Translate) but the native apps situation is pretty abysmal. Worse than I expected.

On a final note, I have picked up other folks' GS4's and iphone 5s's - and their OS seems so clunky to the new gestures based BB10. I think BB did a really great job on the OS (notwithstanding a couple of annoying things missing like holding down keyboard keys for speed-dial shortcuts). For once we can say that BB's operating system feels a generation ahead of the mainstream.
Old Oct 5, 2013, 6:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
And that is exactly why that quote was posted. In 1997 nobody thought Apple would be the next Apple, either.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 1:32 am

So the Q10 doesn't have the same compression? That was a funny thing in ADK with some other FTers last year. Between the high satellite latency and EDGE data network (roaming on Windy City Cellular) the compression that my blackberry had made it the speediest to load.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.