Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Blackberry Announcement this Week

View Poll Results: What's the best option for a keyboard loving Palm Treophile?
BlackBerry Q10 - It's the best QWERTY out there, and worth it even if BlackBerry dies.
36.67%
BlackBerry Bold - You obviously like old phones, so try an old Blackberry first.
13.33%
Motorola Admiral - Use the keyboard to learn a viable OS, later adapt to touchscreen typingl
0%
Windows Phone Treo Pro uses Windows Mobile, so move to a touchscreen in a familiar ecosystem.
6.67%
Galaxy or iPhone - Get over it already!
46.67%
Other - leave a note in the thread, and I'll create new options if you have suggestions.
3.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 16, 13, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold since '02, Hertz President's Circle since '07

Are you still using BlackBerry? I'm considering the Q10 but am in no rush. And BlackBerry has scheduled a major announcement on Wednesday, perhaps a partnership, or divestiture, or the new touchscreen Z30.

I am a die hard Treo Pro user (yes, still use it!), Centro before that, and don't like touch screen.

The Q10 form factor is very similar to the old Palm phones. Another choice is the Motorola Admiral Android phone, but I doubt there will be any more physical keyboard Androids. And their is always the BlackBerry Bold line, but for reasons beyond me the price of these remains over $100 used on eBay.

Centro - 2007 _ Treo Pro - 2009 ___ Q10 - 2013 ___. Admiral - 2011__...Bold 9930 - 2011

Last edited by Rut Dog; Sep 17, 13 at 7:39 pm Reason: Adding Bold
Old Sep 17, 13, 8:51 am

Programs: UA silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
would you be averse to something with a slideout keyboard, like the Moto Photon Q? Obviously different form factor from the others, but has Android 4.1 vs. Android 2.3 for the Admiral.
Old Sep 17, 13, 3:23 pm

I bought my wife the Samsung Captivate Glide (android, slide out keyboard) for Christmas two years ago. It was good for a while, and then it had all kinds of compatibility (apps wouldn't work right, etc) and power management problems. We replaced the battery and the new one was no better. Eventually when her upgrade window opened we switched her to the Galaxy S4. She doesn't love the touchscreen, but the bigger screen seems to help. Also, I am hoping the compatibility issues will be lessened by her running with one of the flagship models.

I still have a BB 8700(?) because my work pays for it and I am too cheap to give that up. Mine is on its last legs, the browser is broken, Bluetooth is flaky, but I am holding out until my company gives up on BB. Unfortunately that looks like it will be to IOS, but BB is in a tailspin IMHO. RIP QWERTY.
Old Sep 17, 13, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Silver, Hilton Silver
A Q10 with an Android OS would be awesome. I'd switch Mrs. Swede to it immediately, and perhaps buy one for Miss Swede. Sadly, I doubt that is what the announcement is going to be.
Old Sep 17, 13, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by dcpilgrim View Post
I still have a BB 8700(?) because my work pays for it and I am too cheap to give that up. Mine is on its last legs, the browser is broken, Bluetooth is flaky, but I am holding out until my company gives up on BB. Unfortunately that looks like it will be to IOS, but BB is in a tailspin IMHO. RIP QWERTY.
My company is discontinuing support for BB sometime in 2014 and moving everyone over to GOOD. Sooner or later, I'm going to have to install GOOD and lose the BB. Not sure if they're still providing BBs in the interim, but will be short-lived if they are. Of course, GOOD doesn't support BB10, so I suspect you (and everyone else and their mothers) may be correct that BB is not long for this world.
Old Sep 17, 13, 4:24 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
So what do people think will be in the announcement this week?

I have a Blackberry for work (has to be Blackberry, no other options, though I can select the provider). My current one is a 2 year old Bold with Verizon service. No issues with it, but I can upgrade annually at no cost under my company's contract.

Will the latest/greatest be worthwhile for me to look into?
Old Sep 17, 13, 4:32 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass, BA Gold
Originally Posted by gobluetwo View Post
My company is discontinuing support for BB sometime in 2014 and moving everyone over to GOOD....
What is GOOD please? In this context ;-)
Old Sep 17, 13, 4:35 pm

I think the problem with the new phones on BB10 is that they are not compatible with the old Blackberry Enterprise Server. You need the new version, which is also not backwards compatible with the old. So if your company wants to support the legacy BBs and also the new BBs, they'll need to deploy two separate instances of BES (in my layman's terms).

This seems to be the reason why corporate adoption of the new BBs is somewhat slow - companies don't want to invest in BES 10 and be on the hook for managing that many sets of devices. Rather, they're going the BYOD route which has much less overhead and maintenance. (at least, that's what they tell me)

Originally Posted by antichef View Post
What is GOOD please? In this context ;-)
Good for Enterprise by Good Technologies. Basically a secure container that allows companies to manage bring your own device (BYOD). I'm no techy, but that's basically it in a nutshell (from my perspective).
Old Sep 17, 13, 4:53 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass, BA Gold
Thanks ^
Old Sep 17, 13, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold since '02, Hertz President's Circle since '07
Thank you everyone for the replies, and the poll votes! I'm surprised that initial results show people support the Q10 -- at least for somebody like me who really does like this form factor.

Originally Posted by gobluetwo View Post
would you be averse to something with a slideout keyboard, like the Moto Photon Q? Obviously different form factor from the others, but has Android 4.1 vs. Android 2.3 for the Admiral.
Yes. I've tested many slide outs and they just don't cut it for me. I really want single hand use, so in that case a touch screen would have the edge. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Originally Posted by aztimm View Post
So what do people think will be in the announcement this week?
My best guess is the announcement of the new Z30 touchscreen because:
1) It has been leaked quite a bit

2) Could be both a Hail Mary effort at resurgence and an attempt to bump the stock price even if just a bit to give leverage in buyout negotiations.

3) The event seems more like a marketing event than a merger/acquisition/partnership announcement the way it is being promoted.

4) The event is being promoted globally, and since their strongest markets are overseas (the Middle East, India, and Southeast Asia), they could be hoping the global press will trumpet the "Return of BlackBerry!" with a competitive premium modern (touchscreen :-( ) device.
Old Sep 18, 13, 12:54 am

Programs: United 1P; AA Gold; National EE; SPG Plat; HH Gold; Fairmont Plat
I have a Q10 and am a diehard blackberry user even though I have a galaxy as well. My thoughts are, unfortunately, that no matter what Blackberry does, their handset division is doomed. They do have controlling patents on various things, which, when divested will hopefully reenter the market licensed to other phone manufacturers.

As an FYI, even the most diehard blackberry people that I know, have moved on. At first it was to obtain a second phone in conjunction with their bberry (iphone) but now they have ditched their BBerry completely. I am down from 150 BBM contacts to 4...

Wednesdays announcement probably relates to BBM and their exclusive contract with Samsung to have BBM for the next 6 months...
Old Sep 18, 13, 5:43 am

Programs: AA PLT, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Rut Dog View Post
I'm surprised that initial results show people support the Q10 -- at least for somebody like me who really does like this form factor.
Ummm... I'm not sure I'd draw sweeping conclusions based on a grand total of 4 votes (out of 6, as of this writing) in your favor.

Regards
Old Sep 18, 13, 6:28 am

Programs: Traveling Around from Country to country
I love my Q10, but people who tried other platforms and love it have no reason to try Blackberry. Blackberry is good for the keyboard and messaging people. I have an Ipad for all the other stuff that I rarely use, but BB is my messaging workhorse.
Old Sep 18, 13, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I still long for the physical keyboard of my Treo 300/600/650/BB Curve/Bold - but I gave up on BB as a platform - just not enough ecosystem support. I still hate typing on my iPhone, but the apps, along with the iPad, are great.

It's going to be hard to sell many Z30's when you have told everyone you are actively "exploring strategic alternatives". And even it is keyboard-less.
Old Sep 18, 13, 10:24 am

Programs: United MP
I voted Q10 because of the keyboard. BB does keyboards better than others.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: