Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

New HTC One: The Best Smartphone Available [That No One Seems To Be Talking About]?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New HTC One: The Best Smartphone Available [That No One Seems To Be Talking About]?

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2013, 6:10 pm

Programs: *gold, SPG Platinum, Amex Centurian, IHG Royal whatever, Emerald one world whatever
i dont know if it is just me or living in Hawaii (not complaining!) but is it actually hard to see the screen in sunlight? i find myself tilting the thing around to get an idea who the heck im calling. then again, its light years ahead of my blackberry...
Old May 22, 2013, 5:16 am

Programs: UA
Ivehad mine for two days and I cannot fault it. My girlfriend has the S4 And the One looks and feels like a better product. Sense 5, hands down, is a better experience than touch whiz.

My first experience with android was with my nexus 7, and sense 5 is a lot more enjoyable than stock android.
Old May 22, 2013, 8:25 am

I've had my HTC One for 3 weeks now and am loving it. The only issue I'm having is that the home and back buttons are not as responsive as the rest of the display. Not sure if that is just my phone or all? But I do wish it had a dedicated menu button. The virtual one takes up a lot of display real estate when I compare my phone to my partner's S4.
Old May 23, 2013, 7:34 am

See the article where HTC tried to explain why it doesn't have an SD card slot? Hahahaha...

Something about they didn't have enough internal room to do it on any variant (except the one for the Chinese market).

I wonder if making the case just a wee bit bigger ever dawned on them? Samsung figured it out on the S4 without issue.

HTC is in literal freefall... So sad. I guess this will be a limited edition!
Old May 23, 2013, 11:13 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by robroy90
See the article where HTC tried to explain why it doesn't have an SD card slot? Hahahaha...

Something about they didn't have enough internal room to do it on any variant (except the one for the Chinese market).

I wonder if making the case just a wee bit bigger ever dawned on them? Samsung figured it out on the S4 without issue.

HTC is in literal freefall... So sad. I guess this will be a limited edition!
Considering they sold 5 million of these not going to be very limited no?
Old May 23, 2013, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by asdf1223
Considering they sold 5 million of these not going to be very limited no?
An "unnamed source" says they sold 5 million.

And 5 million is half of what Samsung sold for the S4.
Old May 23, 2013, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by ScottC

Not comparing it to Samsung at all. HTC will probably still fall (due to the fact that talented folks keep fleeing and products like the first) but the One is selling strong and by no means a "limited edition" device.
Old May 23, 2013, 2:52 pm

If they had fitted it with a battery I could replace and a memory card slot, I would have bought one. I think it is a good device, it could have been a great device. The success of the S4 isn't accidental, and proves that the features are more important than the form. HTC tried to take a page from the Apple playbook and failed.
Old May 23, 2013, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
The success of the S4 isn't accidental, and proves that the features are more important than the form.
I think it's pretty clear that there's a large portion of the market for whom that's true, and a large portion for whom the form is the most important thing (and a third, and probably larger market where current-gen "flagship" phones will always be price prohibitive, and where Android is beating Apple very decisively; in the US and a few other first world countries Apple plays in that market with older iPhones to carrier subsidies, but outside of those countries, Apple only plays to that with used iPhones they aren't the ones making money on.)

What is not clear to me is why HTC thought they could make a primarily "form" play on this one (when that's Apple's whole stock in trade, and the people who lean that way are locked into Apple), when a little bit greater attention to function would have produced a phone that was truly leading edge for both.
Old May 23, 2013, 4:42 pm

That's a bit unfair no? The One pushes the bar in a lot of places. Its as fast as every current phone, arguably the best display in any phone in the market, one of the best low light cameras, the best speakers on a phone. Sure daylight photos aren't the best but its not just a good looking phone. Its got plenty of muscle.

I totally understand the lack of removable batteries and memory being deal breakers for some, but when Google's flagship does the same is HTC really standing on an island? Atleast they left decent onboard storage.
Old May 23, 2013, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

If they had fitted it with a battery I could replace and a memory card slot, I would have bought one. I think it is a good device, it could have been a great device. The success of the S4 isn't accidental, and proves that the features are more important than the form. HTC tried to take a page from the Apple playbook and failed.

Don't you think that it might be a wee bit early to declare the phone a failure?
Old May 23, 2013, 6:00 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
I'm also in the camp of bypassing this phone because of a lack of onboard storage and removable battery.

It's too bad, as I used to be a real fan of HTC right up to their Sensation. After that, their NA entries are all following the same un-upgradable path.
Old May 23, 2013, 7:19 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by ScottC

Hmmm.... so the S4 is a better phone than the HTC One....?
Old May 23, 2013, 7:21 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Related question...... why do most folks live with no memory card slot and no removable battery from Apple, but then turn around and find these same "features" not acceptable on another phone maker...?
Old May 23, 2013, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
As several others have stated, I immediately bypassed this phone in favor of the Galaxy S4 because of the lack of an expansion slot and the fixed battery.

Regarding why so many people buy iPhones despite the same limitations, my guess is that the kind of customer who would lock themselves into the Apple ecosystem is EXACTLY the kind of customer who wouldn't care about customizable storage space and battery life (or choice of software, or choice of file formats, etc.). Android draws a more mixed crowd, but among its users are people who demand greater flexibility and customizability. HTC may find some Android users on the other side of the spectrum, but Apple seems to have that segment already locked down.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.