Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

New HTC One: The Best Smartphone Available [That No One Seems To Be Talking About]?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New HTC One: The Best Smartphone Available [That No One Seems To Be Talking About]?

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2013, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Having just played with one I have to say that the device itself is amazing; it bests the S4 IMO and makes the iPhone5 look like an absolute joke.

Why is it that no one outside of the tech sites seems to be talking about it? Is it because it's from HTC?

I admit that the only HTC phone I have ever actually owned [the Tilt] was an absolute piece of crap, but the new One looks, feels, and sounds amazing.

Sense has always been love-it-or-hate-it, and it is odd that you cannot get rid of the new media browser, but everything else [save the camera] seems to be a pretty big step forward.
Old May 1, 2013, 9:13 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
I haven't seen the HTC one, but my fiance is up for renewal on Verizon, and she has the HTC Thunderbolt now (great when it came out, but 2.5 years is a long time in the smartphone industry). It needs a new battery, and I'm trying to talk her into the S3 or S4, but after your remarks, we'll check out the HTC One.

Originally Posted by anrkitec
Why is it that no one outside of the tech sites seems to be talking about it? Is it because it's from HTC?
Face it, the World is run by Apple fan boi's these days. They accept mediocrity, because it's "Apple". I say this as both an Apple stockholder and iPhone/iPad owner (though both are company provided devices). If I had my choice, I'd be 100% android. The Android OS is a few generations ahead of iOS. Apple could be there if they wanted to, but they'd rather exert their control over the whole UX and stifle innovation in the process. Form over Function...
Old May 1, 2013, 9:33 pm

I've been using one for the past month (I work in wireless so I get early access), and I am very impressed. The screen is beautiful and the dual speakers are crisp and powerful. The HTC Sense UI is toned down a little bit, which I was thankful for.
Old May 1, 2013, 9:42 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by HDQDD
I haven't seen the HTC one, but my fiance is up for renewal on Verizon, and she has the HTC Thunderbolt now (great when it came out, but 2.5 years is a long time in the smartphone industry). It needs a new battery, and I'm trying to talk her into the S3 or S4, but after your remarks, we'll check out the HTC One.
Not on Verizon you won't, they passed on it for now. Though of course the rumor mill has it any day now.
Old May 1, 2013, 9:48 pm

Programs: VA WP, UA 1k, QR G, AZ WP
Originally Posted by dr88
I've been using one for the past month (I work in wireless so I get early access), and I am very impressed. The screen is beautiful and the dual speakers are crisp and powerful. The HTC Sense UI is toned down a little bit, which I was thankful for.
I'd second this assessment - I've had a play around with the One my Dad got a few days ago.

The intergartion of the IR port as the power button was clever - though having it sit so flush confused my Dad, as did the longer 'hold' on the button, he thought it was a dead till he read the manual. A bit large for my taste, but definitely feels like a top notch device
Old May 1, 2013, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I got to play with one at Costco the other day. Absolutely gorgeous.

I'm quite satisfied with my S3. Although, $580 from T-Mobile, minus $100 trade-in rebate from HTC (must purchase by 5/16), and whatever I can get for my 3-month-old S3 (I could probably have it out of my hands in a day if I sold it for $300). So very tempting.
Old May 2, 2013, 12:28 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
and it is odd that you cannot get rid of the new media browser,.
You can switch out the home screen for the more conventional Sense screen.
Old May 2, 2013, 12:31 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by HDQDD
Apple could be there if they wanted to, but they'd rather exert their control over the whole UX and stifle innovation in the process. Form over Function...
IMO that has nothing to do with it at all. It's purely economics: they can sell stuff with features 1-3 generations behind the curve so they do because they make a bigger profit that way.
Old May 2, 2013, 6:32 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
After the best part of a year using the S3, I've come to the conclusion Samsung tries far too hard with Touchwiz, and should probably lighten up a little. The new features of the S4 don't impress me. OTOH, I've always had a preference for HTC's Sense (and a liking for Apple's minimalism).

One thing I will say though. There has been days when I've been on the move (or merely by the pool) when I've been constantly on Skype in a number of group chats, helping with various problems. Having a spare battery to hand has proved invaluable in these situations.
Old May 2, 2013, 7:48 am

Programs: Dirt
Because Samsung preemptively smeared HTC New One on message boards through viral marketing efforts. Some bloggers picked it up and carelessly reported it as fact on theverge.

Scroll down to the picture of 7-Eleven receipt inserted between the front glass and the LCD. That picture is obvious fabrication as the LCD and digitizer glass are permanently bonded together as one unit. There is no way a piece of paper can get between the two parts.

As a result, BBC: Samsung probed in Taiwan over 'fake web reviews'

Maybe I ought to start the "Who else hates Samsung?" thread in OMNI as my first post there.
Old May 2, 2013, 8:07 am

I played with one at Costco this weekend. It is so BIG....maybe if you want to carry in your hand all the time but for me, hard to carry in my pocket....
Old May 2, 2013, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How exactly does it best the S4? I happen to have both phones here, and while the One looks pretty, I'm not convinced that it that much better.
Old May 2, 2013, 10:29 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by cordelli
Not on Verizon you won't, they passed on it for now. Though of course the rumor mill has it any day now.
Forgot to mention: She's willing to switch providers (her contract is up).
Old May 2, 2013, 12:42 pm

No SD card slot, no removable battery = Epic Fail
Old May 2, 2013, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by robroy90
No SD card slot, no removable battery = Epic Fail
That, and the camera isn't as good as it could be plus the onscreen buttons instead of capacative buttons.

That said, they are getting better at making phones, so there is still some hope left for them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.